• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-03-14]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Wow I totally forgot about SE Lain's OP, and i also have to agree about your other choices, I'm a huge fan of Yoko Kanno's music.

For next week's question, I'd have to say what got me into anime was the violence that I saw when i first saw DBZ when i was 5. It was unlike anything that i was used to watching as a kid with American animated shows. What kept me in was the over the top animation and the thought-provoking, psychological, and emotionally powerful storytelling that I would later discover mostly from the encyclopedia here on ANN. Although i still enjoy watching American TV and movies, anime will always my escape from live-action and I would really hate to see it die.
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

So please, do not lump fans into two groups. THAT is what is divisive. Instantly classifying people into one of two groups is mere stereotyping, divisive and harmful.

I said vocal groups. Vocal. Key word. Vocal. People who argue so vehemently on both sides. Those two sides dominate the culture right now. There are a zillion shades of gray, naturally.

Actually, I thougth the 2 vocal devisions were the "ALL FANSUBBING IS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO ANIME EVAR! ANYONE WHO FANSUBS SHOULD BURN!" group and the "I WANT ANIME FREE FOR X REASON! I WANT IT FREE! I WANT IT NOW!" group.

Really the Anti-fansub groups tend to be alot less reasonable than you made it out to be.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
My favorite themes; a toss up between:

BECK
and
Black Lagoon
and the ever famous;
Death Note #2

I definitely like these more because they are not as "poppy" as a lot of other openers.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
Turkishproverb wrote:
Really the Anti-fansub groups tend to be alot less reasonable than you made it out to be.

I must agree. Zac does portray the pro-fansub group a lot less favorably than the anti-fansub group. In fairness though, when you look at the complete spectrum it probably is the anti-fansubbers who are more reasonable. At worst, you will run into the crusaders who believe its their divine mission to take every possible opportunity to jump on anyone who dares even consider downloading and tell them how they're an evil despicable thief because fansubs are illegal and thats all their is to it. (Or alternatively you didn't pay for it and thats all there is to it.) Granted, people who do this are not-so-nice-people but stack them up next to the pro-fansub extremists. It can't hold a candle to "anime should be free because...well...because it should be!" It's just illogical and downright crazy. At least the anti-fansubbers are technically correct. Fansubs are indeed illegal.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
o.o I don't want anyone to burn. But hell, love the amusing sarcasm.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
POKEMON! GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL! All the way man Laughing

That aside this thing about the two sides would tend to make sense, but like mentioned already these aren't the only two sides of fandom and the arguments that are well presented already that we've seen countless times before. Vocally would make sense, but that isn't the representation of anime fandom as a whole. As for me I would be an old guard.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
There are so many little hints in it that you don't really get until you watch the whole series too, like the brief shot of the three hands (with the one only showing one finger), or the frame of Gohda and the Individual Eleven logo. While the animation in the first OP was more about "Oooh, look at me! I'm Motoko Kusanagi and I have big boobs and hardly wear any clothes!", the second OP gave more of a sense of the series as a whole.

Even though the CG animation in the first GitS: SAC opening isn't that great, I always think that the colors are very pretty and that the people who worked on the opening timed the movement and visuals very well with Yoko Kanno's music and Origa's singing. The only part that kind of bothers me every time I see it is when they show a close-up of the Major's face while she's shooting away. It looks scary, especially her clenched teeth. Anime smile + sweatdrop And even though it focuses on the Major, it still gives a good sense of how the series has action, sci-fi, and philosophical elements to it. My favorite part of the opening has always been when she's dreaming about having difficulty using her spoiler[cyborg body when she was a little girl] and then waking up with her hand shaking, showing how her past still affects her present. Although, it is interesting to note that the show's creators didn't really spoiler[explore her past very much until the second season in one of my most favorite episodes of GitS: SAC 2nd GIG.]

I do agree that the GitS: SAC 2nd GIG opening is better because of the more traditional animation. My brother, who's a big fan of the Ghost in the Shell universe even though he's not as into anime as I am, thinks it would've been cool if they had animated the whole series in that sort of Gothic-type style that they used in the opening. I agree that the clues in that opening are cool. I like the image of the Major staring at Kuze sitting in the chair. And Batou walking by because he looks like he's smiling and I love his character, though probably not as much as the tachikomas love him. Very Happy

I adore most of the openings and endings of anime shows that I've seen. I never fast forward through them unless I have to for some reason. As you can probably imagine, I have many favorites. But I think it's interesting to note that just seeing the opening art and music of a series can make me want to see it. One example is The Story of Saiunkoku. I saw the opening to that and I was like, "I have to buy that!" Which I did. Two volumes. I loved it. Then Geneon happened. But, that's the way it goes. Geneon happens. Everything has cycles, even civilizations. Even anime. No one knows when the next dark age may be, nor the next renaissance. After all, The Little Mermaid happens, too. Wink
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
The only part that kind of bothers me every time I see it is when they show a close-up of the Major's face while she's shooting away. It looks scary, especially her clenched teeth. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I've always liked that part, just because it's the only point in the OP during which the Major actually looks like the Major presented in the anime. I've got a huge crush on her, though, so I enjoy the scary intensity of it as well Razz

Another OP that deserves some love is Poltergeist from Ghost Hound. I mean, have you ever heard anything this utterly snazzy?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
Tank! was what brought me into anime.

Matter of fact, it was what made me ask, "why aren't more people into this thing called an-e-me?".
Today, for better or for worse, I got my answer.

At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing the scene tone down a bit. Not so down that all will be left would be the torrent dwellers, but a step back to find a common ground since anime itself isn't enough to balance out the ever increasing diverse crowd.

I noticed the Answerfans brought up Cartoon Network on, imo, one of the turning points for the industry.
Seeing how even Adult Swim is scaling down on anime, now seems like a time for a "cooling off" period.
Heck, even football fans need a break before they gear up for next season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
I realize that nobody asked me this. But I'm going to say it anyway.

My favourite opening is Musouka from Utawareru Mono.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qK_SpA4uT8A

It's pretty, it's exciting and it captures the feel for the series perfectly.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know Lain had a nice OP. Now I feel more inclined to watch it, although I hope it's not scary or anything Laughing. I also like the Escaflowne theme - In fact, I like it more than the anime Laughing And of course, Tank! I love the jazzy feel it has.

I just noticed that the Baccano! OP is a lot like Tank! I don't know which one I like better though, cause both songs are really nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or are other people finding that YouTube is not working for them as well? For me it loads, but refuses to play. Odd. Divine Punishment?

Anyway, for me there is one opening that is the best. Cruel Angel's Thesis (Neon Genesis Evangelion). Many other openings come close, including Super Shooter (Gantz), Message #9 (Gasaraki), All the Way (Kino's Journey) and Hemisphere (RahXephon). As I have said, the five that Zac put up round out my top ten.

But there is something special about Cruel Angel's Thesis. And not just because it has the honour of starting one of the (if not the) most influential Anime of all time. From the name, to the lyrics, to the "atmosphere of epic" that it possesses, I do not think that anything will ever top it. The only Anime OP that I cannot even force myself to skip. To me, it's that good.

Now, this is not "What is you favourite Anime OP", so I'll stop that line of thought. I will say that I hope you do not stop posting cute animal pictures. It's just, could you branch out? There are very few things cuter than a kitten or bunny, but I would appreciate a baby alligator (yes, baby alligators can be cute). Or a baby polar bear. Or a red panda cub. Those things are adorable. Apologies in advance if you have already put those up in a previous column. Ta.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
Turkishproverb wrote:

Yes, how dare companies demand that we pay for their products! They should created products for absolutely no profit! Stupid, unreasonable anti-fansub people and their capitalism!

Lol.

And Zac, I completely agree with that list of OPs, every one of them. Lain probably has the most impressive opening credit sequence, though. Also, as a song, I prefer "Inner Universe".

As for the "new versus old guard" argument, it's funny, because it's the new guard, the ones who demand anime for free that suggest that they are the "true" anime fans, the ones who'vce been there from the beginning, who never bought the R1 market's dirty products, in favor of so-called quality translations done by other "true" fans. They also claim that it's the new fans that are suckered into buying the R1 products because they're inept with technology or have too much throw away income.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
Anyone notice that 4 out of the 5 openings had no japanese lyrics (or features languages other than japanese prominently in the case of the GitS ones)?

Although I agree with the picks, especially with the western fandom, I wonder if there's some subtle bias westerners have with music they feel more "familiar" with?
People really liked the opening to Gunslinger Girl, as well, another english song.

Personally, I think the best anime opening song has to be the opening to Zambot 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32JJ7O65nm0
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
Lain has a fantastic opening. I love the UK group who did the song, Boa (not to be confused with the Asian singer by the same name); it was well worth the trouble to import a couple of their CDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11