• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Bandai Visual USA Postpones Three Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
What an interesting turn of events this is. Perhaps a better price strategy will be one of their new "inventions". I am interested in all three titles, but I'm most interested in Shigofumi. It's a good thing they are postponed and not canceled.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote
I preordered Shigofumi which came out to an affordable $24.37 (like the Freedom DVDs) and True Tears 1 which was $18.62 from TRSI back in mid February. I didn't get around to preordering Sola yet, but you can save a good amount since the standard pre-order discount and membership discount along with coupons apply to BVUSA DVDs.

I for one hate the two episode count and prefer the 3 (SWR, Igloo) episodes or 4 (GA Rune) episodes for $50 over the 2 episodes for $40 like Shigofumi. since the low episode count is far more annoying than the high price. True Tears might be only $30, but you are only getting one episode. The dollar to minute ratio seems far worse for these much shorter and slightly cheaper DVDs.

My hope is that Bandai does what Funimation, TRSI, and Sony have been experimenting with and take it to an extreme by releasing 13 episode collections. Even if this costs a little under $170 (which is the GA Rune price) it will be a better dollar to minute ratio than their current strategy of two episodes for $40.

I'm also glad that they confirmed the rest of Freedom since I was getting a little concerned about seeing anything beyond volume four which just arrived.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

I for one hate the two episode count and prefer the 3 (SWR, Igloo) episodes or 4 (GA Rune) episodes for $50 over the 2 episodes for $40 like Shigofumi. since the low episode count is far more annoying than the high price. True Tears might be only $30, but you are only getting one episode. The dollar to minute ratio seems far worse for these much shorter and slightly cheaper DVDs.

True Tears is only like that for the first disc then it switches to $40/2 episodes. Then Shigofumi is the opposite and the last volume is $30/1 episode. Or at least, that was the plan.

Quote:
My hope is that Bandai does what Funimation, TRSI, and Sony have been experimenting with and take it to an extreme by releasing 13 episode collections. Even if this costs a little under $170 (which is the GA Rune price) it will be a better dollar to minute ratio than their current strategy of two episodes for $40.

Evein if its a price like that, I'd much prefer that simply for the space savings. Sadly, I'm not optimistic that BV will do anything like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1