• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Inside Production I.G

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enoah ballard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
This was without a doubt the single most fascinating piece of reporting I have ever seen at this website.

Please, please, PLEASE try to bring news from as deep in the industry as possible. interviews, mangaka's workshops, publishing houses, more interviews, the production/creative process, magazine editorial offices, animation studios, merchandising corporations, even more interviews, actual award ceremonies, Kodansha, Shueisha, Gainax, 4ºC, Madhouse, Ghibli, Toei, Bones, Sunrise, AIC, Tatsunoko pro and every single animator, producer, director, writer, designer, editor, artist and assistant behind them!

Thank you for bringing this fantastic peice of news to us an I hope to see many more like it.
Ruremi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
This really was a nice treat. Thank you ANN.
Randompeon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
That was my first real time looking at ANNtv but i enjoyed every minute of it, i really like the fact you got to see artists doing the work, not alot of it but still enough to see how much detail actually goes into it.

I was also suprised by his stand on fansubs and i agree with it.

(side note on the video work)
I did notice at one point near the end where the camera zoomed into Mitsuhisa Ishikawa hands, which was a bit ¬_¬ (time stamp 13:35-13:39)

This isn't intended as being an insult of any kind, rather its just an observation from a professional cameraman and sound/video engineer.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Wing_Goddess wrote:
rti9 wrote:

I bet many Americans would like to find out who is the blond guy with pony tail in Production I.G's staff (2:30) and how he got there.

Er... well I'm Canadian, but i'm also curious who that male was too ^^;

That's Francesco, an Italian working at I.G. He speaks fluent English and Japanese and is their director of International Operations, and he also handles international PR.

He set up the interview and tour for us. He's a great guy.

-t
sam18x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or did Mr. Ishikawa say "desu ne" a whole, whole, lot?

Nonetheless being able to see inside the very offices that produce this thing called "anime" that we so enjoy was very....enjoyable. Thank you ANN!
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
That was awesome. The interview with Ishikawa was informative and provocative, the editing was dynamic, the shots of the animators actually allowed us to see some of the animation process, and I got to see the Protect Gear! (Jin-Roh fanboy)

I did miss Ellie & Mario though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
yea it was a good interview, liked the behind the scenes on them making Ghost Hound.

it did seem like Mr. Ishikawa wasnt too worried about fansubs but people making money off of it. also his stance on Bandai Visual and their high prices was an interesting take.

good job on the interview, but i have to wonder why did you guys insert more txt than what he was talking?? a lot of it you didn't need to do cause it made sense
Skys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
Wonderful video. It was nice to be able to see a behind the scenes of Production I.G. I really liked seeing the process they go through to make the anime (The Ghost Hound stuff caught my eye, great show). Being able to hear Mr. Ishikawa's take on some issues, like fansubs, was really interesting too.
hotah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks ANN! I love production I.G and I always wanted to know more about them Very Happy
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
The headline for this got me to watch ANNtv for the first time.
It was really enjoyable to get to see the behind the scenes at IG, especially the hand drawn key frames for Guardian of the Spirit.

I hope the upcoming Batman: Gotham Knight really helps to get IG even more exposure in the west. Really, Production IG working with Bruce Timm is like some kind of dream team of action animation.

Great job ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This was amazing! Thanks for doing this ANN, I definitely want to see more things like this in the future!

I was really surprised more work wasn't done on the computer - I guess I thought with pen tablets and whatnot, there would be more drawing directly into the computer. I confess I don't know much about the inner workings of anime studios, but that was something interesting to see. Wonder how many different programs they use once they hit the coloring stage and beyond...

Thanks again ANN and I would love more inside looks at anime studios, manga companies - even more info about how anime and manga are or little how-to-draw segments would be fun!
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
ANNtv gets better technically each week! I agree with the re-introduction, but only one more half way through. (the blurb at the bottom of the video is a summary so there isn't a need to introduce the interviewees often) Maybe a lower-third for the woman who guided the tour. Other than that and the hand in face, those were my only concerns. Sorry if I'm picky but after I started studying broadcasting, I noticed minor errors. (Even on big budget shows.)

As ANN thought about pitching this show on TV?
Cranium

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
What's with the constant zooming in the interview? It doesn't make it any more exiting if that was it's meaning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2