• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Sunday Mag's Circulation Dips Below 600,000

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
ruh oh
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Serves them right, they should have gone digital already, they want to live by XX century rules forever.
akoftroy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Serves them right, they should have gone digital already, they want to live by XX century rules forever.

Can you name a digital manga magazine that has a circulation over 600,000?
Katsukasu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote
Shonen Sunday is a LOT more digital than its competitors Jump and Magazine - still those have a much higher circulation.
Going digital is definitely not the problem here.
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
I think with the large upswing in tablet PCs and things like the new Samsung Note, we're gonna see an eventual rebound of magazine content in the form of digital subscriptions. IMHO people take for granted that so much information is available online for free, and I'd be happy to pay a subscription for certain magazines to get more quality articles produced instead of the usual slipshot web stuff.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
It would be more interesting to know if tankoubon sales have dropped as well, since the magazines are often nothing more than ads/previews for the collected volumes anyway.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

None of the major weekly's manga are digital Shonen Jump, and Shonen Magazine are still sold in those big phone book type anthologies same as Shonen Sunday.

The problem is that they haven't had a new major hit in more than 7 years. Rumiko Takahashi peaked 20 years ago, and Adaichi's most famous work is Touch which also came out in the 80's.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote
I think the serialized mag is just as important since it's the most widely read and available (markets, convenient stores, etc), and of course most affordable way. I doubt each of those 600,000 buyers are also buying the tankoubons of most the manga. From the One Piece demographics survey, the older working people are buying the tankoubon, with very few in the high school/college range despite its obvious popularity there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
Print is dead! Long live Print!

It's just another sign of the trend, as readers find other diversions to occupy their time.
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
LOL..
People don't seem to understand the point of this, print isn't dead.. At least not for now and that's not the point of the article anyway.
IMO the article should include the WSJ and WSM number of printed issues per week as a comparison so people wouldn't come up with the idea of print being dead.
The main focus (or what it should be) of this article is this..
This is taken from Wikipedia:
Weekly Sunday Magazine circulation:
2000 - 2.02 million
2002 - 1.53 million
2003 - 1.31 million
2004 - 1.16 million
2005 - 1.06 million
2006 - 1.01 million
2007 - 0.94 million[3]
2008 - 873,438[4]
2009 - 773,062[5]
2010 - 678,917[6]

Here is a graph showing the different magazines:
http://comipress.com/files/images/articles/2007/05/salesmag.jpg

As you can see every magazine has declined but most have been stable (the graph just shows until 2005, but magazine circulation have been stable and in fact JUMP has gained a little more circulation) BUT Sunday from 2000 to 2010 has lost 70% of its circulation! Against Magazine which has been stable and JUMP which even managed to gain a little more! That's what the news means.
zerochitentoppakai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
afaik One Piece pretty much is the reason why Jump's circulation has increased (read an article or 5 about how it singlehandedly saves the manga industry).

The only long-running series Sunday has left is Detective Conan (since Major ended recently), so no wonder the sales has gone down.
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what you consider long-running but I am pretty sure Kenichi should be there too, same with Hayate and Zettai. Although yeah losing both MAJOR and Kekkaishi and also battle manga like Mixim and Defense Devil being cancelled.
IMO Sunday really needs one of its manga getting an anime, the good news is that with Rinne and I-dont-know-the-name-of-the-manga made by FMA mangaka both having succesful mangakas maybe they will have animes, also Magi has gotten popular IIRC.. Maybe it will be the next big-hit?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1