• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gosick

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aphtorshok

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Great review, as usual, but how can you mention Aoi Yuuki's recent lead roles without mentioning Madoka in Puella Magi Madoka Magica? And among her roles, I'd say only a few can be called truly "tsundere." Her roles as Madoka, Murasaki (Kurenai), Toshiko (SoreMachi), and Mina (Vampire Bund) are all very different and varied, and it almost seems insulting to compare her to the constantly-pigeonholed Kugimiya (though she was fantastic in FMA).
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
Gosick was outstanding. The Leviathan arc was quite a shocker to me.

Rie Kugimiya is done (how do you say "typecast" in Japanese? Let's ask Kikuko Inoue). Aoi Yuki (reviewer forgot to mention she voiced Madoka Kaname, though hardly a tsundere) could be the next Queen of Tsundere (more like a duchess, for now).

Pretty accurate review.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Madoka was not mentioned amongst Aoi Yuki's roles because I normally don't mention more than three and it was the one that fans who don't watch fansubs (and there are a lot of people who peruse our site who don't) would be least likely to be familiar with; note that the other three have all been available in legal streaming form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
Good review.

Quote:
+ Strong visuals (especially Victorique's character design), intense final few episodes.
− Weaker start, mysteries are often more than a bit campy.

It was kind of a coincidence that I ended up watching this show at the same time Viz was streaming Neuro. Both are mystery series, so it was a lot of fun to compare the two.

Having been practically raised on mystery classics (Holmes, Spade, Poirot), IMO, Neuro was superior when it came to the basics: crafting crimes and clues. I could really tell that the author had put a lot of effort into building the perceived perfect crime, and then constructing clues for the detective to find. Both Neuro and Gosick utilized a version of the tried and true locked-door-murder. The Neuro version was very well crafted, with the execution of the crime meticulously explained by the detective. However, the mystery aspect is the only comparison I could make between the two. Neuro is a satirical, absurd comedy in all other respects.

Gosick, on the other hand, was much nicer to look at. The motivations of the criminals seemed more plausible as well. The main mystery was the focus of the series as a whole, and the relationship between the two principal characters was much more compelling. it succeeded on those points. Not so much as a "mystery series". Gosick failed for me in that respect.

It was rather frustrating to compare Yako (Neuro) to Kazuya (Gosick). The whole point of stories like this is that the "Watson" character is supposed to learn the methods of the master. It certainly happened to Yako, but Kazuya remained a dense, if noble, cypher. Not that there was much for him to learn. The "clues" in this series were nebulous at best, simple and parochial at worst.

Al in all, Gosick was pleasant to watch, but in retrospect, I couldn't really call it a mystery series. An adventure/thriller/romance maybe, but not a mystery (as it was advertised). I could have done with less tsundere (a trope that I seriously dislike), but it had enough of a compelling story to keep me watching.
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:37 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Madoka was not mentioned amongst Aoi Yuki's roles because I normally don't mention more than three and it was the one that fans who don't watch fansubs (and there are a lot of people who peruse our site who don't) would be least likely to be familiar with; note that the other three have all been available in legal streaming form.

Oh, I see. That makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up. Keep up the good work.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote
Though the year's only halfway completed, this series, along with Hanasaku Iroha, remain the two best of 2011 (hoping to add to this list) and it was a tough call to put Gosick into second place.

I know, shocking I didn't allow a goth loli to swing the vote, eh? Wink

There are some trouble spots with the series, especially the ending, but overall it's won me over to ensure it's added to my physical collection should it come out by anyone that releases it dubbed (nothing against sub-only, aside from the ridiculous pricing without value).
TG72

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As pure mystery series go, there are certainly stronger options out there, but none of them can match Gosick's visuals and few can equal it on the development of its central couple.

You hit the nail on the head. It's definitely not Detective Conan, but I've really enjoyed watching Victorique and Kujo's adventures. I'll be the first to pre-order if it gets picked up here.
gwern

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:

and explains the truth for Grevil and Kazuya, the former of which takes the public credit for it.

Will just leave a note that that is another Holmes trope - letting Inspector Lestrade or whomever take the public credit.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
midget mothers

That really cracked me up, thanks for the laugh, Key.

I like this review and it actually makes me want to rewatch (and finish) it because I had been bored while watching it. I'll keep the criticisms of the show in mind when I decide for a rewatch and see how my thoughts change.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
This was one of my favorites of the past season(s). I was a little worried about how it would end, but I found myself with a smile on my face at the end of the last episode. I sure hope this gets a Blu-Ray release!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I do have one major gripe with the final arcs that you don't mention. The Marquis de Blois is really not a very realized character... he's evil, no doubt, but that's it. He's a scheming, power-mad, occult-obsessed, atrocity purveyor who has a tendency to sip wine from giant snifters and sneering while his sinister plans are executed by hooded underlings. The tiniest bit of back story he gets seems to suggest he's evil... jus because. I hate characters like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first half more than the second. As a matter of fact, at one point, I was being propelled along to watch more by a sense of obligation (i.e. I've made it this far, may as well go the distance) as opposed to a genuine interest. The last two episodes sort of perked me up again even though I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about them. They really didn't seem to "fit in" with the preceding episodes, but that is not always necessarily a bad thing.

In any case, the show did add to my lexicon of insults: I'm just waiting for the right time to call someone a Farting Newt.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Quote:
midget mothers

That really cracked me up, thanks for the laugh, Key.

Just to be clear, for anyone who hasn't yet seen that far into the series: I wasn't being facetious when I wrote that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
It was an excellent series, that kept me waiting for each episode. You couldn't ask for a better ending.
Kisa Kain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I loved this series, and the ending was, while satisfying, slightly depressing because it leaves no room for a second season. I don't remember any early weak episodes (as the article puts it) but, I will certainly purchase this anime when it's released. To bad TokyoPop had picked up some of the rights, they'd started some light novels, before they went under. I hope someone makes a manga series out of it. Definitively worth your time to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3