• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Dies After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seijin Dinger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
yeah he passed away around 3:30
the updated news story is currently the top story at Komo
http://www.komotv.com/news/16479676.html
HockeyKamen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Tsunami Jones wrote:
And it appears that he's died. http://www.komotv.com/news/16479676.html

I do feel sorry for the parents and their loss, just not the child.

(Maybe he was trying to emulate Gaara's sand coffin? If so, it worked!)
Here's another source I was alerted to by someone who I was chatting with just now.
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_031008WAB_boy_buried_LJ.3e86c380.html

You're in our prayers Codey. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pichu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I feel sorry for the boy and his parents as well as his friends. Poor boys will probably be traumatized.... Hopefully one day people will understand to not copy actions on tv. Maybe they should have a warning screen like they do on Adult Swim. DO NOT COPY WHAT YOU SEE ON TV. Or something like that. This has become a problem. First Pokemon, and now it seems Naruto is also becoming a target for angry parents.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Are parents no longer teaching their kids the difference between reality and fiction? I can see it now, they are probably going to have to put a warning on each episode.

I'm sorry for thier loss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
My condolences to the family.

Viz should now prepare themselves for the fallout imo.
Mmsven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
If the parents end up blaming anime (or Naruto), it will just be to cover up their own ignorance.

Just like how video games are the apparent evil of today. The excuses make me sick.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god.... Crying or Very sad That poor child.

I... I didn't even think he'd end up dying. The one thing that struck me when I read this article's first posting was, in all the while that this was happening, where in the hell were these kids' parents?

I mean, this is just like that Superman incident that happened years ago; where a child imitated a stunt he saw and tried to fly off his balcony in a Superman costume and he died. Or those news stories that crop up every couple of years about kids hurting or killing each other by accident when mimicking some pro wrestling maneuvers. It's just... so horrifying. Crying or Very sad
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
wow...

I don't think anyone can be blamed for this. As kids, we do stupid things sometimes. Occasionally, we walk away with a permanent scar; other times, people die. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
My condolences to the family.

Viz should now prepare themselves for the fallout imo.

Not just Viz, but rather the whole anime industry. This could greatly create a misunderstanding that "anime is bad influence for children." The worst case is with many incidents lately, many people will want to ban anime from America because of all the recent cases like Death Note and Naruto.
Mmsven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Not just Viz, but rather the whole anime industry. This could greatly create a misunderstanding that "anime is bad influence for children." The worst case is with many incidents lately, many people will want to ban anime from America because of all the recent cases like Death Note and Naruto.

Anime will never get banned. I would only go as far as to say that eventually the age ratings will get bumped up, since its taking longer and longer for kids/teens to actually develope a brain. In other words: every day North America is growing more retarded.
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks. All of my old comments from the old thread stands. I don't want to paste or retype my comments.

Please people, like the other thread about this kid, don't go off in a tangent about Darwinism and this kid.

So what did we learn today little kiddies?

Last edited by AznJazz on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Christ, don't kids play with toys anymore...? Do they really need to re-enact things themselves?
Shawaazu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

This could greatly create a misunderstanding that "anime is bad influence for children."

That's true, and it would be pretty bad since I know that Hajime no Ippo is an anime that inspired a lot of people. It wouldn't be very surprising, though.

Poor kid. I hope this won't happen again, but you never know, huh?
washapa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
In response to the U.S. Anime industry being scapegoated for this child's actions and resultant death I have to ask, Where were the child's parents at? Have we become such a Lassaiz Faire society where a ten year old is allowed to play unsupervised for a long enough period of time that he can be buried upside down in sand and then allowed to suffocate? I feel sympathy for this family's loss but you can not seriously lay the blame on the media, in this case Anime.
luhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the time to be making sick jokes or worrying about the fallout to the anime industry. This young boy's family has just suffered an unimaginable loss and his playmates are going to be dealing with the scars from this incident for a long, long time. Can we please show a little decorum for once, people? I'm beginning to feel ashamed of being an anime fan.

My thoughts are with Codey's family and friends.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9