Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: The Brave and the Old


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
_V_



Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 616

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
podcast introduction 0:01 - 0:22 : Zac is a god-damned robot! http://www.youtube.com/​watch?​v=​ipfcH1fxCg4

Last edited by _V_ on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PetrifiedJello



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 3782

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
podcast 0:01 - 1:56:20 : Zac is a god-damned robot!

Fixed that for you, V Guy.

*downloads MP3. Let's see what fans have to say this time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
_V_



Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 616

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
01:56:20 The mysterious "X" is a Gundam fan but Sunrise won't return his calls


"And what about escalation?"

"Escalation?"

"We start carrying semi-automatics, they buy automatics. We start wearing Kevlar … they buy armor-piercing rounds."

"And?"

"And you're wearing a mask … and jumping off rooftops...."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 6030
Location: Penguinopolis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Is somebody going to do a formatted review of the first DBZ Blu-Ray? Between here and Daizenshuu EX, I'd like to get a thorough view of the pros and cons of it. Is it better than the Dragon Box?

I've been trying to become a professional reviewer for years. No luck so far. Hint, hint.

I don't see how anyone can like the Evangelion English dub. It sounds SO AWKWARD.


Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JesuOtaku
ANN Assistant Editor


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 2778
Location: SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Did Christian have a link to his work on Youtube? I wouldn't mind takin' a look at it and giving a little input if he wants, I was kinda curious as he was talking. omo

EDIT: Never mind, he mentioned it at the edge of the segment, silly me. ^^;

Oh my god, Super 8. I was loving the *hell* out of that until the alien. I think Abrams comes up with images, like the train crash, rather than overall themes or arcs, so then he has no idea how to deliver on the rest of the execution and dives into the nearest bag of familiar cliches. Definitely a flip-flop that brought the whole flick down from "something kinda special" to "well it wasn't boring." X_X

As for anime endings...Berserk didn't ruin anything retroactively for me, but it was a pretty awful place to stop at. Made the series feel like a commercial for the manga.

Gonna have to say Durarara!! for an ending that retroactively ruined everything that came before, though. Why? Because as discussed in the podcast, it *was* building to something. Then it didn't. If it had been content to putt around and play the whole "story never ends" game like Baccano, it would be fine, (more than fine! Baccano had a stellar ending even without the additional icing-on-cake OVAs) but it dropped a million hints to something that went nowhere, (Izaya's character actually could have been written out...just think about that.) did *not* in fact resolve its main characters' core issues, it just bullshitted around them, (trio of friends/love triangle still in stasis due to potential apocalyptic sociopathy, but hey! Being a teenager is great!) and...and...ugh. Watch the first half of that show, stop at the big meetup of the Dollars with all the plot twists, do not go any farther. *sigh*


Last edited by JesuOtaku on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Villette



Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 14
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
There're are couple endings I can think of that retroactively, while not ruining per se, just brought the show down. Clannad After Story was like this for me, with a copout that made previous events utterly meaningless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1095

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
This is a long post, but there's just so much to comment about, since this episode had a lot of really cool topics in it.

-I do agree that the new Beavis & Butthead is really good and funny. I only saw the first episode of the new stuff (Werewolves & Crying), but you can tell that Mike Judge hasn't lost any of his touch with the two characters. I was maybe worried in the back of my head that it could go the way of Ren & Stimpy's Adult Show, which just sucked, but B & B are still just as good as they were back then.

-Wow, YouTube reviewing... I remember doing that back in late 2009-late 2010, mostly for video games with only a few anime reviews (in fact, every anime I did a YouTube review of has been given a better typed review over at my blog), before focusing solely on the blog. I do agree with Zac that the best reviewers are the ones who at least try to go into what they are reviewing with little to no pre-determined bias; I've received a fair amount of comments on my YT reviews that simply say that I did a good review simply because I actually talked about the game or anime with detail and brought up both the good and the bad. Considering that I, admittedly, simply turned on my digital camera, started the video recording option, and just simply talked about whatever game/anime I had playing on my television, with no video editing being done at all, getting positive remarks is definitely encouraging. I guess not showing myself one bit on camera and simply keeping the camera on the television might have helped, too, since it made the review the focus and not myself. But anyway, congrats on the Anime TV gig, Christian! I'll have to check out your blog, too.

-Regarding endings, the only time I really hate an ending is when it either goes against the sprit/main idea of the title or simply leaves too many un-answered questions with no indication that they could ever be answered in the future (i.e. ambiguous/confusing can be fine, but leaving too many questions can be a problem). For example, there are plenty of people who hated Gurren Lagann's ending, but I had no problem with it at all. Gundam X, even with it being canceled and given a rushed finale, still ended with enough answered questions and still maintained the spirit of the show. The endings to Getter Robo Armageddon and New Getter Robo are confusing and weird as hell, but they're still cool endings; also, Go Nagai in general just likes to be confusing in his endings at times, and I've come to simply accept that. Non-endings generally do suck, but it rarely makes me angry enough to not recommend checking it out if it was a good title. Usually, like mentioned, the journey can be more important than the destination itself. Naruto, though, could and should have ended a few times by now, but now when it ends it will seem more like a mercy-killing than an actual meaningful ending; same with Bleach, honestly. Finally, I am kind of amazed that you three were able to talk about endings with little to no spoilers... Great job, guys. Aslo, I'm pretty sure Bandai canceled the FLAG boxset, so it's singles or bust.

-I'm amazed that, for once, I don't feel weird hearing my own voice on a recording. Since this is my portion I can't add much to it, but I just want to fix some slight mistakes and vague explanations I made: When I said that the Japanese were "buying" Bartender, I was trying to say they they were "buying into it", since the basic idea is pretty silly. I don't exactly call Bartender a cooking anime, but rather I simply think of it as a food manga; for example, Drops of God doesn't really involve actually making wine, so I'd hesitate to call it a cooking manga. Admittedly, continually asking Zac & Justin if they heard of these shows is just a habit of mine, since I'm used to people not knowing about any of these shows. Anyway, I think the show Justin was talking about that sold so poorly that Bandai went straight to a boxset is Hoop Days, which is the other sports anime Bandai did alongside Dan Doh!!. And hearing Angel Cop being mentioned earlier in the podcast now is funny, since I think it's getting more talk than it should be getting. Finally, hearing about the "Matsumoto" ending eariler reminded me that Clockwork Fighters had that ending, but in a "our new adventure now begins!" style.

Having lower standards... I've been told that because of me liking Zaizen Jotaro, but I can definitely see if something is crap. If anything, I guess I simply like stuff that entertains, though I can still appreciate something if it's "higher art". As for hesitating to call Ring ni Kakero 1 a boxing anime, what I meant was that I put the boxing descriptor as a secondary way to describe it, i.e. I would call it a shonen action/fighting sports anime, with the emphasis put more on the shonen action/fight aspect. In a sense, the boxing could be removed and even replaced with another fight-based sport or even just make it generic martial-arts-esque fighting and the title wouldn't change in any large way. Same with Ashita no Joe, where you could change the boxing into something else and the character-based drama would still stay intact for the most part. Stuff like Hajime no Ippo, Prince of Tennis, or Touch, though, feature their sports so intensively that removing it would completely change the way these shows work; the sports are utterly essential to those kinds of titles. That's what I meant by "hesitate to calling it a boxing anime", since the boxing is important, but is still mostly a means to an end rather than a 100% essential aspect. Oh, and the segment transfer at the end of my portion is accidentally hilarious: "Godspeed, Sir... Yeah!"

-Wow, you have a V Guy segment that isn't actually 60+ minutes long? But, yeah, I don't get where this lady got this silly idea of Eva vs. LotR from...

-The whole Gundam AGE subtitling miscommunication itself didn't really bother me, so I don't have anything to really comment on here.

Overall, a really good call-out show, and hopefully the extra time for FUNimation's re-appearance on the show will be more than worth the wait.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EnigmaticSky



Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Posts: 618

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
^...wall of text.

JesuOtaku, I agree about Durarara. I still really liked it, but the damn ending...

Downloading; will listen to tonight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1095

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
^...wall of text.


Oh, spare me. It has actual structured paragraphs and is segmented by each portion of the show. A "wall of text" is literally that: A large bunch of text that literally has no structure or segmentation to it, i.e. it literally looks like a wall. It is not a wall of text.

What I did is simply do a long post, which I warned about beforehand, so complaining about it is silly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CG-LOVER



Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Posts: 355
Location: East Lansing, MI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
So I'm just assuming that when Zac mentioned InuYasha he was talking about the original anime and not the "The Final Act" or the rest of the manga. Cause I'd say it ends pretty definitively at the end of those.

About the Trinity Blood ending flashback, I definitely remember that flashback and I do remember how poorly timed it was and how little sense it made. Though if I were to try and come up with a reason for why it was there I'd say it was a last desperate attempt to explain a few of the hanging plotlines that just couldn't have been done effectively cause they ran out of time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Charred Knight



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 3023

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
An example of kids trying to imitate was the person who started "kick a ginger day".

The thing Zac said about the reviewer trying to put themselves over the material they're reviewing is one of the reasons why I went from watching a couple of internet reviewers to just JesuOtaku. I just got tired of seeing them doing the exact same thing in every review (show some clip then scream at the camera about how horrible that clip was). More often then not the reviewer comes off like an idiot because they over exaggerate, come off like a hypocrite, or simply make something up. If you watch 50 reviews maybe about 10 of them will have something interesting to say. Anime is interesting enough that I don't need to see some guy mug the camera. The reason why I watch JesuOtaku is that it's simply her giving her opinion on a show, she's smart, and when I do disagree with her I can see it form her point of view.

When someone rants and raves or just insults me, I simply ignore that person. A person like that is clearly not worth your time.

With endings like Kenshin, Inuyasha, and Berserk, those are manga adaption that don't have an ending because they are hoping to make a sequel that will go farther along (Inuyasha actually does get a sequel that finishes the story). The Kenshin anime did get a definitive ending that no one liked.

With End of Evangelion, the movie ruins the ending of the tv series simply because it once again pushes the reset button with Shinji. He finally comes to terms with living in the real world, and stop trying to isolate himself and the next thing he does is spoiler[choke Asuka for a stupid reason]. Its like the ending of the tv series never happened.

The only anime I think ruins the anime is probably Kenshin, with most other anime that I think has a really bad ending (Evangelion, My-Hime, Code Geass, Gundam 00) are series that I never liked in the first place or fall of a cliff halfway through the series.

If Miyazaki really based Ponyo off his relationship with his son, than I feel really bad for Goro.

I should point out that there's no official pairing in Evangelion, there's no romantic wrapup. Hopefully the movies will end with Shinji just marrying them all, followed by Shinji and his harem hopping on a Unicorn and blasting off into the sky.

I am just going to say this about Gundam, neither Sunrise, nor Bandai Entertainment understand how to market it to people. The fact that Gundam Unicorn is being marketed like the average anime fans know the basis for the Universal Century is stupid. Considering Gundam sales in America, Bandai needs to lower their sight because they have constantly tried to sell Gundam on tv, and it hasn't worked in 9 years. Gundam Seed was a failure, Gundam Seed Destiny was a failure, Zeta Gundam was a failure, Gundam 00 was a failure. Gundam Age has done terribly with Children, so I highly doubt that all of a sudden after 9 years of failure Gundam is going to become some hit show on Nickelodeon. Gundam isn't going to be a mainstream hit because it can't keep it's fans.

The best selling mecha series in America(evangelion, Full Metal Panic) are series that don't emphasize the mechas. The most popular series that Full Metal Panic has is Fummofu which is a comedy series whose main mecha (Bonta-kun) was created from a mascot costume and appears in only a few episodes. Simply put Mecha is not a genre that has sold in America in years.

I wish that Gundam was a hit franchise, I wish that Mazinger was a hit franchise, I wish that Super Robot Wars sales in America where anything better than "complete disaster" but it's simply not happening.

The main reason why you stream anime is to promote the dvd/blueray release, the money is simply not there to actually make it profitable except for something like crunchyroll. With something like that, it's more important to build loyalty to their customers. With Sunrise why should fans feel the need to be loyal when it's fansubbers who are giving them the show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blackseer



Joined: 09 Sep 2011
Posts: 94

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

With End of Evangelion, the movie ruins the ending of the tv series simply because it once again pushes the reset button with Shinji. He finally comes to terms with living in the real world, and stop trying to isolate himself and the next thing he does is spoiler[choke Asuka for a stupid reason]. Its like the ending of the tv series never happened.

The only anime I think ruins the anime is probably Kenshin, with most other anime that I think has a really bad ending (Evangelion, My-Hime, Code Geass, Gundam 00) are series that I never liked in the first place or fall of a cliff halfway through the series.

Interesting enough, I loved the endings of almost all of these (never watched My-Hime and Gundam 00 was just meh).

Code Geass is one of my favorites animes of all time and the last five (or four) episodes are the only redeeming ones from the second season.

And I consider The End of Evangelion overlapping with the final two episodes from the TV series. In my view, they only happened inside Shinji's head (they were most an analysis of what happened before) during the events of the End of Evangelion.

About Kenshin, there was already a discussion about it in the review of the OVA, so I won't pick this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kicksville



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 170

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
For Flag, Bandai Entertainment's official store has been selling the four volumes together for forty bucks for a while.
Lord Geo wrote:
The endings to Getter Robo Armageddon and New Getter Robo are confusing and weird as hell, but they're still cool endings; also, Go Nagai in general just likes to be confusing in his endings at times, and I've come to simply accept that.

Getter Robo: Armageddon's has an interesting history to it, the meaty details of which we'll probably never hear in full - Yasuhiro Imagawa, most known for the Giant Robo OVA and G Gundam, was set to direct it but was taken off the staff before it really got started. Even though it was ultimately handled by other directors, those first three episodes bear his trademarks (even the token insertion of Franz Liszt's Liebestraum). It's why not only the ending, but the next ten episodes are so completely different.

There's a panel Q&A transcript here from a few years ago where he was asked about it:
Quote:
Q) You were initially placed in charge of the OVA "Getter Robo: The Last Days On Earth". However, after the first batch of episodes, you were reportedly replaced. How much would you say the rest of the series differed from what you had had in mind for it?

A) It should be a very different story. The reason for leaving was a very long story and unpleasant. So I didn’t want them to use my idea and I hope it turned out inconsistent. Only the first three episodes reflect my ideas. If you pay attention, you can see that there are embedded plot developments in the first three episodes that are not resolved that I didn’t let them use.

And that it was, you could really see them scrambling to come up with some kind of explanation for the odds and ends in those final episodes.

Still, I agree with you - it's wild end to a wild ride, a loud and fun way to finish things off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 2960
Location: earth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Fairy tail doesn't copy the design from One Piece. 90% of the characters design and art are from Rave Master.

And the bad guy died at the end of Inuyasha. They don't know what are they talking about.


Last edited by Spotlesseden on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Keichitsu0305



Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Posts: 944

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Um, doesn't Naraku die in Inuyasha (once the Shikon Jewel is purified then wished out of existence?)]

penguintruth wrote:

I don't see how anyone can like the Evangelion English dub. It sounds SO AWKWARD.


Agreed, I liked the Japanese dub since the characters emotions and screams were quite believable. However, the English commentary for the movie was awkwardly funny for me.

Like during the scene where spoiler[ Misato is kissing Shinji and commenting about not being a mother to him or something] I laughed so hard when Allison Keith (her VA) said spoiler["Cleaning his tonsails with your tongue isn't quite motherly!"] Anime hyper

I ended up giving my copy of Ponyo to my nephew as a birthday present (he loves it, though).

I miss Buried Treasure so much... Anime cry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group