• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: The Brave and the Old

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Fairy tail doesn't copy the design from One Piece. 90% of the characters design and art are from Rave Master.

This is the kind of thing I was talking about incredulously - if you look at Fairy Tail's art and don't think "Eiichiro Oda" your eyes are broken. I'm fully aware of Rave Master and when I first saw that years ago it looked like a One Piece rip as well, although not as direct. Over the years his style basically evolved directly in to "that looks exactly like One Piece". It's kind of ridiculous.

Quote:

And the bad guy died at the end of Inuyasha. They don't know what are they talking about.

Huh, I guess he did croak at the end of Final Act. I mostly remember 167 episodes of near-paralysis in the story and when the final episodes of the original series aired, I couldn't believe they were leaving it open. Whatevs.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With End of Evangelion, the movie ruins the ending of the tv series simply because it once again pushes the reset button with Shinji.

It's not a reset, it wouldn't make any thematical sense whatsoever unless you buy into the theory that Anno was just screwing with the fanbase or you imply that he doesn't know or care how he wants his own very personal story to end. It seems very likely to me that he was just stating that making a choice to deal with reality doesn't make all the negative thoughts and emotions to go away as well as reaffirming Hedgehog's dilemma.

About endings in general, for me to hate an ending, it must feel completely different from the rest of the work - it has to ignore or contradict the themes and views present before the ending itself or it must express an opinion that I am totally opposed to. Either way it won't ruin the work for me, only leave a sour aftertaste.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Another enjoyable and informative ANNCast. Smile

Just a few things:

Dragon Ball Z: My husband and I gained more interest in this show over the past year or so, especially after having the opportunity to see the first Dragon Ball series. We decided that we wanted to get the episodes of DBZ on DVD. While we heard about the Blu-ray releases, we knew that it would take forever for all of the episodes to come out on Blu-ray. We decided to go with the Dragon Boxes. We have the first two so far. The first one was easy to find online, but the second was a pain in the rear. Through our online searches, we found that Amazon had it new and used for about $150, and a retailer who advertises on ANN regularly had it for about $90. We ended up purchasing Box 2 from the retailer who advertises on ANN. Still need to work at getting the remaining boxes, though.

Critics: I've been writing anime reviews at another website for a little over four years now. I started reviewing manga on my own blog back in June, and I'm starting to post reviews for other DVDs at another website. As a critic, I try to write about both the good and the bad points of whatever it is I'm reviewing. I also don't believe in trying to become any kind of "Internet star" through my reviews. I also don't feel I'm in any way "better" or "above" my readers.

Endings: I can definitely become a irritated if I'm not satisfied with the ending of a series that I've been watching. To me, if I've decided that a series has been worth investing my limited time in, I would like to have some kind of payoff at the end. If not, then I feel like I've wasted my time.

"Lord of the Rings" vs. "Evangelion": Really?: Um, wow. I don't see where this whole fantasy vs. science fiction thing could even come from. I grew up in a household where my father read both sci-fi and fantasy. My sister and I enjoy both genres. My husband also enjoys both. In fact, every sci-fi or fantasy fan that I know in real life enjoys both genres. Also, aren't sci-fi and fantasy generally lumped together into one category?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Dragon Ball Z: My husband and I gained more interest in this show over the past year or so, especially after having the opportunity to see the first Dragon Ball series. We decided that we wanted to get the episodes of DBZ on DVD. While we heard about the Blu-ray releases, we knew that it would take forever for all of the episodes to come out on Blu-ray. We decided to go with the Dragon Boxes. We have the first two so far. The first one was easy to find online, but the second was a pain in the rear. Through our online searches, we found that Amazon had it new and used for about $150, and a retailer who advertises on ANN regularly had it for about $90. We ended up purchasing Box 2 from the retailer who advertises on ANN. Still need to work at getting the remaining boxes, though.

I hope you can find them all. They've been discontinued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast! I love the call out shows. Although, I was really looking forward to Funimation's interview. Here's to hoping it works out later down the road.

I had to laugh at Zac's comment about Skyrim. My husband just picked up his copy. I don't expect to see him for the rest of the weekend.

Well shoot, I went through my anime list, sure that I could find a show where the ending just ruined it for me. But alas, that was not the case. When I first got into anime, I remember the non-endings or open endings bothering me. It was strange for someone who was used to finality in stories. You know, prince kisses the princess, they get married and all is well. Oh, and the prince defeated the evil antagonist too (who stayed dead). In any case, now that I expect non-endings, I'm more likely to remember an anime that has, at the very least, a rather convincing conclusion. For example, Hero Tales, which I just finished watching, had what I would classify as a solid ending.

Moving on, being a critic: you just have to learn to deal with stupid people and their subsequent opinions. That's all there is too it. Naturally, if you are giving your honest opinion, someone somewhere will take offense. What I like in a reviewer or critic, is one who comes across as intelligent and well versed. Like Theron here on ANN. His reviews take the positive and negative and balance them out nicely.

As for obscure titles, Bartender intrigues me. If that was licensed over here I'd watch it or read it.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
With End of Evangelion, the movie ruins the ending of the tv series simply because it once again pushes the reset button with Shinji. He finally comes to terms with living in the real world, and stop trying to isolate himself and the next thing he does is spoiler[choke Asuka for a stupid reason]. Its like the ending of the tv series never happened.

Shinji wasn't' trying to harm Asuka; when he was hallucinating during Third Impact, he strangled a hallucination of Asuka, but the hallucination didn't fight back: because in the fake-happy instrumentality-world, its impossible to fail, impossible for your fantasies to resist, etc. So basically, Shinji was trying to force Asuka to prove she was the "real" Asuka (in the words of Bart Simpson, wouldn't a simple pinch suffice?).

As it turned out, Asuka went above and beyond his expectations and "resisted" him, but instead of by fighting him off, by caressing his cheek and lovingly imploring him to stop.

Thus the introvert Shinji who "runs away" from pain, is now demanding Asuka try to fight him off, just to feel pain to know he's in the real world. Asuka the extrovert who hides behind an outer shell of superiority, is now willing to express her inner emotions.

All's right with the world.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I dunno why the Bartender anime hasn't gotten a U.S. release-probably the lack of sex appeal-but it's pretty obvious why the manga hasn't been brought here. Viz is no doubt worried they'd be getting flack for allegedly encouraging children to drink alcohol with it.

Quote:
not the first hentai

Maybe the first "mainstream" hentai?

Quote:
Zaizen Jotaro

Universal Japan owns the home video rights, so they could easily bring it over here, if they want. I really don't know why they chose the Dororo movie, and not Jotaro and Fist of the Blue Sky.

Charred Knight: I think their Gundam stuff sells, it's just that UC's problem was that it was handled by Bandai Visual, which still thinks Americans will pay for overpriced Blu-Rays.

Zac: Not just Fairy Tale, Rave Master.

_V_: Assuming Shinji really had good intentions as you infer, he's still got schizo and passive-aggressive issues.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

As it turned out, Asuka went above and beyond his expectations and "resisted" him, but instead of by fighting him off, by caressing his cheek and lovingly imploring him to stop.

Thus the introvert Shinji who "runs away" from pain, is now demanding Asuka try to fight him off, just to feel pain to know he's in the real world. Asuka the extrovert who hides behind an outer shell of superiority, is now willing to express her inner emotions.

All's right with the world.

She states "How disgusting" how is that lovingly imploring him to stop?
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Because that was after he stopped. (and he'd burst into tears)
mahouyousei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
As far as fandom wars/rivalries are concerned, some of the worst I've seen is the Hetalia v.s Homestuck war. I have no idea how it started cause the two are so fundamentally different, and plenty of people like both. I don't even know.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Because that was after he stopped. (and he'd burst into tears)

If she could express her love for Shinji openly she wouldn't have said "how disgusting" and Anno certainly wouldn't have it be the last line of the movie. It simply ends the series in a "Shinji and Asuka will never get better" tone.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If she could express her love for Shinji openly she wouldn't have said "how disgusting" and Anno certainly wouldn't have it be the last line of the movie. It simply ends the series in a "Shinji and Asuka will never get better" tone.

If she could already express her love openly, this would be a cheaper ending. People don't change overnight. You are underestimating the importance of the first step. That is why for you the series ends with that tone.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

If she could already express her love openly, this would be a cheaper ending. People don't change overnight. You are underestimating the importance of the first step. That is why for you the series ends with that tone.

Anno had 24 episodes and a movie to have the characters actually develop instead of constantly going on about how messed up the characters are. The tone of the ending is the exact same as the rest of the series needlessly depressing.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
As far as critics go I prefer written reviews too many video reviews I have watched have the feel of a 25 minute comedy sketch with some attempt at "reviewing" thrown in as almost an after thought where as a written review (or at least the people I read) try to put some effort in their anaylis.

As far as the whole Eva v.s. LOTR thing that just seems like somebody trying to drum up attention.

Also I have to take exception to V's comments about Shinji/Rei shippers as a Shinji/Rei shipper.

(I know it was said jokeinglly) But that kind of attitude turns me off to fandoms real quick ultmitelly a ship boils down to personal prefernce even if you argue "cannon" (IMO). That and I think shipper debates are some of the absloute stupidist aspects of Fandom culture.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
A few things

Dragonball Z I do want to get the BD's but I will just wait for a set or sets of them to appear before I go ahead and start getting them.

Critics now that I have been on the other side of the fence (a reader and a reviewer) I am trying not to become some internet superstar. I try to look for the good and bad in any series and even a bad series still has some good points to them.

Endings I have only had one ending that really made me upset and that was the ending to Karin. I mean spoiler[they survive getting shot while tugging at your heart strings?] Considering what the series goes for on the second hand market it makes me glad that I have not chucked that series out the window. Otherwise I have not really found an ending that has upset in.

No comments on the forgotten shows, skipped the last two segments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4