• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: The Brave and the Old

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
(Fairy Tale is natively HD anyway, so you should be good.)

Yeah, about that...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
DBZ and 80's/90's re-releases: Zac's comment about DBZ as a reference and the unlikelihood of re-releases of similarly old (80's/90's) titles made me think "what about Nozomi's upcoming release of Nadesico?", since that is a DBZ contemporary, though it's only DVD so maybe this is apples to oranges. Still, in terms of technically handling old material, there are some interesting recent examples, like Nozomi's various Dirty Pair titles, or Discotec's Galaxy Express 999 movies.

In 999, I really liked how much the colors pop so much more than I remember from my old Viz VHS tape, but I do have to wonder if this is really how bright it looked in Japanese theaters in 1979, or if the remaster has gone too far in sweetening the visuals. Not like Tetsuro's green-jacket-and-yellow-pants number was ever going to be subtle.

Endings: Here's one that merits discussion: Clannad After Story. Not for the reason that's usually discussed, namely whether or not it's a cop-out (if you have a problem with supernatural warm fuzzies, you should have checked out of this show after coma ghost girl showed up), but rather because the ending reached in episode 22 not only climaxes an extraordinary run of drama over the preceding 10 episodes or so, but because it also justifies and resolves both series.

Check back on reviews of the original Clannad in boxset form and there is plenty of grumbling about things left unresolved, most obviously the girl and her junk robot in the illusory world. Why was so much weight put on that just to go nowhere? Similarly, even ANN's preview guide dismissed After Story when it opened with an inconsequential neighborhood baseball game, giving no hint where the series was going. But taking both series as a whole, a really rich story is told, and you can marvel at how carefully it was put together: the epic blog on this is http://tstorm.bwys.org/2009/03/clannad-after-story-17-22/, but I'm just satisfied that the title card of the first series, with the young girl running through the field of flowers, has a very specific payoff in the grand finale.

Clannad did not get a lot of love when it came out, on the tail end of so much moé and visual novel adaptations (I expect that Zac and Justin utterly hate it), but it appears to be one of the titles from that genre that is hanging around in the public consciousness, something that gets carefully thought about and discussed, and I don't think it would have happened without that extraordinary cathartic finale.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
DBZ and 80's/90's re-releases: Zac's comment about DBZ as a reference and the unlikelihood of re-releases of similarly old (80's/90's) titles made me think "what about Nozomi's upcoming release of Nadesico?", since that is a DBZ contemporary, though it's only DVD so maybe this is apples to oranges. Still, in terms of technically handling old material, there are some interesting recent examples, like Nozomi's various Dirty Pair titles, or Discotec's Galaxy Express 999 movies.

In 999, I really liked how much the colors pop so much more than I remember from my old Viz VHS tape, but I do have to wonder if this is really how bright it looked in Japanese theaters in 1979, or if the remaster has gone too far in sweetening the visuals. Not like Tetsuro's green-jacket-and-yellow-pants number was ever going to be subtle.

The difference is that stuff like Nadesico, Dirty Pair, and GE 999 are using remastered footage that the Japanese created for their own home video releases. DBZ on BD, on the other hand, is a 100% original creation from FUNimation. Toei already did their own remastering work with DBZ, and that was the Dragon Box, of which we only received the DBZ portion (we never got the original DB or movies Dragon Box equivalents). The BD release, though, is FUNimation painstakingly remastering it themselves, much like when Media Blasters took it upon themselves to remaster Voltron.

Doing something like this requires tons of time & money, and that is why only something like DBZ can warrant this work. The only other anime that can warrant this kind of work is possibly Evangelion TV, and even that's pushing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4