• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Still Alive

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, for serious on the comment about reading Tokyo Boys and Girls after Hot Gimmick. Hot Gimmick is one of my favorite manga ever . . . TB&G is awful.
All of Miki Aihara's manga seem to have the same storyline for some reason, Hot Gimmick just did it best.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
Is the title for this column taken from the song "Still Alive"? >_>

I'm thinking about sending in a review for Boogiepop Dual: Losers' Circus...
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw the first episode of the Rizelmine anime and nearly died seeing how...wrong (for lack of a better description) it was. The manga was on sale for $5 at a local bookstore, so I was like "hey, why not" and picked up the manga. Since I knew what to expect going into the manga, I wasn't as horrified, and thought it was...decent. I mean, it was short, so it had that going for it too! I read it from the POV of Tomonori, and kind of felt bad for him being put into the situation...yeah, I'm doing an awful job defending it, thanks for noticing. But really, compared to the anime, the Rizelmine manga is progressive.

Speaking of which, I swear that Yukiru Sugisaki is a man, since ALL of her manga have to do with men>women (Only men can pilot Goddesses! Only men can become thieves! It's okay to tie your fiancee up and leave her in the closet overnight!). Really, she must be man. Seriously.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
Well at least Alive is rated B, that means of course it is above average which it is X3 It is a long series with 14 out in Japan but (what I have heard) it will end at 17 volumes.

spoiler[Might be predictable BUT the U.S. get involve and complicated characters come, it gets better with each volume ^^]

(Oh did I say you missed out on a review of volume 4 of togari WHICH I must say was the turning point of the series X3)

This is still my fave column X3 Next up Togari 5 review I hope
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
Yay for NANA love! I really need to pick up more of the GNs for it (I've seen the anime and read it in Shojo Beat so I know what happens, but it's always nice to re-read). I don't find the additional plots that tacked on. At very least, I don't find the Reira/Shin relationship to detract from anything, because it's really interesting spoiler[and of course it gets very important later on in the series].

Ren/Nana is a relationship that has many issues, which only start to come to light at this point IIRC, so yeah, I think it's supposed to be getting less interesting in order to prepare people for not liking it so much, since those two are very messed up (though you can say that about pretty much every relationship in the show, except probably Junko and uh...guy with the dreadlocks whose name I forget. They are pretty functional. And eventually Shouji/Sachiko is too.

I love this series Smile
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
I'm glad you got more "reader review" submissions. Hope they keep coming!
Grico

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
Wow Rizelmine sounds terrible. I have to say I hope they bring the Minami-ke manga or anime over here. It sounds like it could be quite enjoyable.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Galaxy Angel is good for Kanan's artwork, more story than one got in the anime and as a good introduction to manga for Middle-schoolers.

I don't regret getting it.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Now before you start blasting me with all sorts of rebuttles, hear me out, because I think Rizelmine does something very well, and that is why I enjoyed it.

Let's first consider how many "free girlfriend" anime or manga titles there are. We have things from Tenchi and Oh My Goddess to Love Hina and Ai Aori Yoshi and so on. However, despite their varying differences, they all follow a number of similar patterns and cliches.

Thus, with this in mind, Rizelmine becomes downright iconic. It has every single Harem/Free Girlfriend cliche ever known to man. The girl loves him for almost no reason, other girls compete for his love, and there is a hidden past that connects to two protagonists. And there are many others.

So in reality, it is better to look at Rizelmine as a kind of parody or satire of this particular genre. I laughed my head off as it hit every single expected plot device like a checklist. And the whole thing is in one graphic novel.

Basically, I liked Rizelmine because I didn't take it seriously, but rather as a parody of everything else we've ever seen in stories like this. And I would recommend that any scoffers should re-read this book with this in mind. Then you can tell me it sucks.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Is the title for this column taken from the song "Still Alive"? >_>

Did you notice the tagline on the main ANN page? Wink

Bara_Megami wrote:
Speaking of which, I swear that Yukiru Sugisaki is a man, since ALL of her manga have to do with men>women (Only men can pilot Goddesses! Only men can become thieves! It's okay to tie your fiancee up and leave her in the closet overnight!). Really, she must be man. Seriously.

Or maybe a victim of Japan's patriarchal culture ...

The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Galaxy Angel is good for Kanan's artwork, more story than one got in the anime and as a good introduction to manga for Middle-schoolers.

I meant send in a ... *throws up hands* oh, forget it.

Would you like to expand on that as a reader-submitted review?

bj_waters wrote:
Basically, I liked Rizelmine because I didn't take it seriously, but rather as a parody of everything else we've ever seen in stories like this. And I would recommend that any scoffers should re-read this book with this in mind. Then you can tell me it sucks.

If one cannot tell that a parody is a parody (as seems to have happened with most people who read Rizelmine), it's not a very good parody, is it?

I don't see how "every cliche is shoved into one story" automatically equals "funny"; it just means every cliche is shoved into one story, which makes it dumb.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Cicatriz wrote:
Oh man, for serious on the comment about reading Tokyo Boys and Girls after Hot Gimmick. Hot Gimmick is one of my favorite manga ever . . . TB&G is awful.

I am happy to know I wasn't the only one bamboozled by TB and G. How it could have been created by the same person who wrote Hot Gimmick will be an eternal mystery to me. However I still have faith in an authors name. If Ai Yazawa writes it, I will buy it.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

I completely flipped out when I read that!!! Then, of course, I ran over here to publicly nerd out.

Favorite GLaDOS quote? Mine is "That thing is probably some kind of raw sewage container. Go ahead and rub your face all over it."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Patachu wrote:

I completely flipped out when I read that!!! Then, of course, I ran over here to publicly nerd out.

Favorite GLaDOS quote? Mine is "That thing is probably some kind of raw sewage container. Go ahead and rub your face all over it."

I'm more a fan of the turrets myself.

"HellooOOoo?" .... "Put me down!" ... "I don't hate you." so cute.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
I'm more a fan of the turrets myself.

"HellooOOoo?" .... "Put me down!" ... "I don't hate you." so cute.

"Hey hey hey." "Help." "No hard feelings." "Owowowowooow"

I agree, totally cute. One of the best games of all time, hands down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DeathNote20XX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
All this article did was remind me I need to get my hands on Alive volume #2. Laughing ;;

As for reader submitted reviews, I've got two mangas I've randomly bought to write reviews for. Now it just depends when I stop being a procrastinator and start them, heheh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2