• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Canadian Online Anime Retailers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoelixian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Hi everyone. I'm hoping you could help me locate some legitimate online Canadian-based anime retailers. Always importing dvd's gets expensive with the border brokerage, etc. and I'd like a stab at local retailers first before importing.

Thanks! Very Happy
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Although not strickly anime, amazon.ca has a good selection, and free shipping if you buy $39 or more!

I've been pretty pleased with their service.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
I just came across this link late yesterday:

http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/

Anyone have any experience with this retailer?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I think I ordered a volume or two of Cardcaptor Sakura from DVD Box Office in 2002 and my lack of negative thoughts or even much in the way of specific memories of that transaction indicates that nothing bad happened. But I had to cancel my credit card, and, these days, I just buy anime at local Montreal retailers like Metro Video, DVD Passion or HMV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:24 pm Reply with quote
phoelixian wrote:
I just came across this link late yesterday:

http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/

Anyone have any experience with this retailer?

It looks promising, The prices seem to be pretty good too! I'll have to look into this, thanks for the site!

Did some price comparison with amazon.ca

Witch Hunter Robin Vol. 1 limited edition (with CD,box,shirt,etc.)
Amazon: 75.99 (52.50 from Marketplace Sellers)
dvdboxoffice: 69.95

Witch Hunter Robin Vol. 1
Amazon: 44.99 (41.98 from Marketplace)
dvdboxoffice: 34.95

Hellsing Box Set
Amazon: 147.99 (143.43 from Marketplace)
dvdboxoffice: 143.95

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Collection 0:1
Amazon: 37.79 (19.69 from Marketplace)
dvdboxoffice: 31.95

Trigun box set
Amazon: 263.98 (no Marketplace)
dvdboxoffice: 226.95

It would seem that dvdboxoffice has better prices, but the Marketplace on Amazon is even better, but that is used and from a separate seller (kinda like ebay).

They've won me over!

I will note that both sites have free shipping. dvdboxoffice has free shipping on everything, amazon has it if you buy $39 of more.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:53 pm Reply with quote
No prob, ZahmiraV.

This was the only site, outside of Amazon, that I can find. They are, price-wise, the Canadian equivalent of U.S. Anime Castle and the Anime Corner Store. I won't be able to order anything for a couple months, but if you do before then let me know how the transaction goes.

Tenchi, the only DVD retailer close to me that sells anime is HMV, but their prices are extremely high as compared to the online retailers. Are DVD Passion's prices good and do you know if they ship?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Depends... the Pioneer/Geneon and Bandai stuff at DVD Passion is as expensive as elsewhere (around $45 Canadian), but the ADV and CPM/USMC (and a few scattered AnimEigo titles) stuff is below $30, and the boxsets are reasonably priced.

Here's the DVD Passion site, but, right now, the pages for ordering online don't seem to be working properly.

Metro Video also has a website, but, as far as I can tell, it exists solely to advertise their brick-and-mortar locations in Montreal and Laval.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phoelixian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, Tenchi. You're right - Metro Video looks like it is an info only site. I'll keep looking for more and update this thread when I find some.

Edit: Could one of the admin move this thread to the retail forum please?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:13 pm Reply with quote
phoelixian wrote:
Edit: Could one of the admin move this thread to the retail forum please?

Although no rules were broken at the time this thread was posted, the little "report" button would have still been the best way to get our attention. When that button is clicked the mods get an e-mail about the report.

But if you just make comments in the thread, there's no way to be certain we'll read them.

-t
drakh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned DVD Soon. Their prices are very good, especially for pre-orders, and they have free shipping. They do however charge when you place an order, and can occasionally take several months to get a backordered disc, but otherwise they're pretty good and get a fair amount of my business.

They also offer an affiliate program, in case ANN is interested.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I did come across DVD Soon a couple weeks ago, but the Sticky thread at the top already had the link and it now makes this thread pointless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1