• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Delays Shigofumi, True Tears, Sola

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
In other words they are rethinking how they release their title. In other words this might be the end of a 2 episode DVD for 40 bucks! In other words this might mean the end of the "you cost to damn much Bandai Visual!" complants at EVERY panel, forum and podcast.

I see a great turn to change in the future because I think they finally understand.

Yep. Shigofumi will be mine in a physical form now.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I would be wary of shifting to more Blu-Ray. There's still an awful lot of consumers out there who just can't afford hi-def setups and think there was nothing particularly wrong with plain old regular dvds. Heck, the store where I work still sells boatloads of any VHS we can get. So new format? Yeah, for the rich videophile. That is still a niche market and will be for quite a while. Lower prices and higher episode counts on dvds? Sign me up.

If they'd done a dvd-only release of Freedom, I'd have been all over that. As it is, this and the majority of their new titles are a big "pass".
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I hope "reconsidering its release strategy for packaged media in light of "current market conditions and expectations" and "will also try to focus much more on Blu-ray Disc releases" aren't too strongly connected. If the only result of this is nothing but a lot of even more expensive releases, I'll be pretty disapointed.
BenBrown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
I would be wary of shifting to more Blu-Ray. There's still an awful lot of consumers out there who just can't afford hi-def setups and think there was nothing particularly wrong with plain old regular dvds. Heck, the store where I work still sells boatloads of any VHS we can get. So new format? Yeah, for the rich videophile. That is still a niche market and will be for quite a while. Lower prices and higher episode counts on dvds? Sign me up.

If they'd done a dvd-only release of Freedom, I'd have been all over that. As it is, this and the majority of their new titles are a big "pass".

I don't see that announcement as an admission that they're even thinking of moving in the direction of blu-ray as primary releases. It would be an even larger burden on a struggling market to bear the costs of dual format initial releases. I think it's more likely that we'll see them move away from sub only releases and, like Viga said, more than 2 episodes on a disc. I doubt we'll see a price deflation though, at least not for physical media. However, if they are thinking about some sort of digital distribution....
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
In other words they are rethinking how they release their title. In other words this might be the end of a 2 episode DVD for 40 bucks! In other words this might mean the end of the "you cost to damn much Bandai Visual!" complants at EVERY panel, forum and podcast.

I see a great turn to change in the future because I think they finally understand.
No. This is much more likely about HD-DVD's death and Bandai Visual not having a contingency plan for such a circumstance.

(I an also see them perhaps considering producing dubs for the series and selling it at the same price they currently sell at now, though.)

This is also pretty thorough failure on their part, since they made "OMG it's only a few months after Japan!" such a big deal in their original announcement of Shigofumi and True Tears.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean they won't charge you either your first born child or your left leg and arm (whichever is worth more) for each disc now?
gokuthamonkeyking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
anything news related from them is a blasphemy. ill hold my breath though, if theyre really considering more than 1-2 episodes per disc and a slight drop in price with dubs and subs.
DanielJr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they at least dub their anime. They could keep the $40 for 2 episode price tag as long as we get a decent dub along with it. Broad appeal and options... that's how you sell more.
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
This was brought up on another forum, but it caught my curiosity: I'm wondering if the sliding U.S. dollar against the Japanese yen has anything to do with Bandai Visual reconsidering their marketing strategies. Doesn't Bandai Visual do all of their replication work in Japan and ship it to their HQ in Torrence, CA? I'm wondering if this is more of an economic decision than a mere revising of their marketing stategies.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Visual does not and probably will not ever dub anything.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
This was brought up on another forum, but it caught my curiosity: I'm wondering if the sliding U.S. dollar against the Japanese yen has anything to do with Bandai Visual reconsidering their marketing strategies. Doesn't Bandai Visual do all of their replication work in Japan and ship it to their HQ in Torrence, CA? I'm wondering if this is more of an economic decision than a mere revising of their marketing stategies.

You mean it could cost us even MORE to buy it? They'll be out of business before they know what happened if that ends up being the case.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
While i felt the jump from vhs to dvd was a great benefit to the visual quality of animation in general, i don't notice any quality differences from dvd to hi def. I watched paprika and justice league on both formats and their was no noticeable difference to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
bci110 wrote:

You mean it could cost us even MORE to buy it? They'll be out of business before they know what happened if that ends up being the case.

Gee, I hope not. That will NOT sit well with most of us. Anime smile + sweatdrop

They're probably want to see when/if the U.S. dollar will recover against the yen and adjust their pricing accordingly. I would hope that with the way the market and economy are right now they will charge their DVD releases (assuming that they go forward with releasing them, but you never know given current events) at a more reasonable price, although IMO that's really unlikely.

The thing that will NOT sit well with me personally is if they go straight to streamline-only availability. They will certainly lose me as a customer if they do that.

All I can do now at this point is wait and see until more information becomes available.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Calculusman wrote:
bci110 wrote:

Gee, I hope not. That will NOT sit well with most of us. Anime smile + sweatdrop

They're probably want to see when/if the U.S. dollar will recover against the yen and adjust their pricing accordingly. I would hope that with the way the market and economy are right now they will charge their DVD releases (assuming that they go forward with releasing them, but you never know given current events) at a more reasonable price, although IMO that's really unlikely.

The thing that will NOT sit well with me personally is if they go straight to streamline-only availability. They will certainly lose me as a customer if they do that.

All I can do now at this point is wait and see until more information becomes available.

I wouldn't necessarily mind if it were downloaded provided that I could download it in a format that I can easily burn to a DVD that I can actually play on my DVD player (though I'd still prefer to buy a DVD since DVD-Rs can still be flunky). Otherwise, yeah, that would suck.
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
FYI: Here's the lastest entry in the BOSS NOTE blog. It basically says the same thing as was reported, with heavy emphasis on their plans to go strictly to the Blu-ray format:

https://www.dot-anime.us/blog/bossnote/index.php?type=leaf&val=19
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3