• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Delays Shigofumi, True Tears, Sola

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Still a quite healthy market for HD DVD's in the US, especially since the recent price cuts. And since HD DVDs don't have region encoding on them, you can buy all the international HD DVDs that you want. HD DVD production is only dead in the US, not elsewhere in the world. And the discs are not more than the regular DVDs either. I think they made a mistake by not supporting HD DVDs. Nobody can afford the BluRay equipment yet. BluRay may be the FUTURE format, but right now, HD DVD is the format of choice.

The prices are cut because everyone wants to get rid of their stock for a dead format. That's not healthy, that's a fire sale. Toshiba has announced that they are ceasing production of HDDVD players and cite losses of a billion dollars. Most distributors have jumped ship. HD-DVD is dead. "Format of choice"? You're delusional.
Lost_Toys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
I think they made a mistake by not supporting HD DVDs. Nobody can afford the BluRay equipment yet. BluRay may be the FUTURE format, but right now, HD DVD is the format of choice.

HD DVD is dead in terms of hardware. If no more hardware exists on the market, then you are stuck catering only to the people who have the hardware. There is no growth in such a market; it is completely stagnant.

Blu-Ray has growth potential. As the only form of high definition disc media that has both hardware and software support, it can only increase in user base.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Unless BVUSA comes out, in big bold letters, with "We'll Do English Dub Dialogues For Our Series," they're just wasting their time.

STILL.

Very Happy_=
crilix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm truly disappointed that they've backed away from their plans. I don't think they changed their minds regarding their release strategy; maybe they were just very hopeful 'till one month ago that HD-DVD would pull through...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
I'm truly disappointed that they've backed away from their plans. I don't think they changed their minds regarding their release strategy; maybe they were just very hopeful 'till one month ago that HD-DVD would pull through...

It could also just be the general economy and the drop of the US dollar.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Still a quite healthy market for HD DVD's in the US, especially since the recent price cuts.

kokuryu wrote:
BluRay may be the FUTURE format, but right now, HD DVD is the format of choice.

This is all the HD media on the amazon top 100 as of right now.

1. I Am Legend Blu-ray
10. Planet Earth Blu-ray
13. Enchanted Blu-ray
15. No Country for Old Men Blu-ray
25. I am Legend HD DVD
42. Fifth Element (remaster) Blu-ray
51. Planet Earth HD DVD
53 National Secret Blu-ray
64. Hitman Blu-ray
77. I,Robot Blu-ray
86. Gattaca Blu-ray
88. Blade Runner Blu-ray
89. Independence Day Blu-ray
96 American Gangster HD DVD

Explain to me how HD DVD is the current "format of choice" especially since they are being clearance (I'm personally buying a bunch of them since they are cheap) at a much lower price than Blu-ray DVDs yet can't seem to keep up in sales?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Unless BVUSA comes out, in big bold letters, with "We'll Do English Dub Dialogues For Our Series," they're just wasting their time.

STILL.

Very Happy_=

QFT

Highly doubt it though.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
DClark wrote:
What I read in the boss note is that they're moving to Blu-Ray from their previous neutral Blu-Ray/HD DVD stance, and that based on the "Due to the recent quiet market, we will postpone standard single DVDs for TV series. We are assuming that the market does not prefer that format." wording they're either still ignorant of the general concensus that their prices are too high or they're going to concentrate on releasing DVDs in box set form instead of singles.

Official answer is likely "all column B" but I would throw my lot in with "yes."

Either way, even if it's the by the company that thinks "price elasticity" refers for printing bar code labels on material that stretches, forcing you to slice open the case with a razor, I'm glad to see a company more invested in releasing anime on BD. It also makes sense for them to lead the charge when you consider their catalog and that CG/computer-compositing receives the biggest vidual boost in higher resolution formats.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
This is a good thing. Their pricing plan was the most idiotic thing i've ever heard of, $40 for the first episode and then every release after that is $30 for 2 episodes. No thanks. Shigofumi is a great show but I NEVER pay $220 for a 13 episode series. You've got to be joking.

I wish companies could settle with some DRM that they liked and start selling HD downloads. Thats what I prefer. Death Note was only like $2 an episode. I never spend more than $39 for a boxset, but when its all said and done DN managed to pull like $74 dollars from me since it was only like $4 a week because of how they released it.

I'd be willing to pay $1.99-$3.99 depending on what show it was and what quality level i'd be getting it. Most HDTVs have a VGA input, the 360 and PS3 can play MP4 with H.264 and WMV files (so you can watch something on your PC on your TV), and they and other devices can stream files over a home network. We're starting to get to a point where alot of people have the hardware capabilities that makes HD downloads a very viable option. Especially compared to DVDs with poor image quality.

kakitamike wrote:
While i felt the jump from vhs to dvd was a great benefit to the visual quality of animation in general, i don't notice any quality differences from dvd to hi def. I watched paprika and justice league on both formats and their was no noticeable difference to me.

I don't know. I have to ask you did you have your glasses on when you watched it? I download alot of RAWs in HD and I can say there is a MAJOR difference in quality when it comes to anime in HD and anime in SD. When you watch DVD anime on a HDTV it looks horrible.

I think the difference is really noticeable for newer shows. For older stuff a Blu-Ray release basically just makes it look as good on a HDTV as it does on a SDTV, which is a major accomplishment in itself. But for newer stuff thats got more vibrant colors and all sorts of effects everywhere, the difference between SD and HD is big. The crispness is just amazing.
DClark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
This is a good thing. Their pricing plan was the most idiotic thing i've ever heard of, $40 for the first episode and then every release after that is $30 for 2 episodes. No thanks. Shigofumi is a great show but I NEVER pay $220 for a 13 episode series. You've got to be joking.

The problem though is that they may just be carrying over their pricing scheme into different aspects, such as $40 Blu-Ray disks and $200 box sets. Is that much better than their current pricing scheme?

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
kakitamike wrote:
While i felt the jump from vhs to dvd was a great benefit to the visual quality of animation in general, i don't notice any quality differences from dvd to hi def. I watched paprika and justice league on both formats and their was no noticeable difference to me.

I don't know. I have to ask you did you have your glasses on when you watched it? I download alot of RAWs in HD and I can say there is a MAJOR difference in quality when it comes to anime in HD and anime in SD. When you watch DVD anime on a HDTV it looks horrible.

I think the difference is really noticeable for newer shows. For older stuff a Blu-Ray release basically just makes it look as good on a HDTV as it does on a SDTV, which is a major accomplishment in itself. But for newer stuff thats got more vibrant colors and all sorts of effects everywhere, the difference between SD and HD is big. The crispness is just amazing.

The difference between SD and HD material is highly dependant on the viewer and the hardware on which the material is being viewed. I'm perfectly content with watching both SD and HD media on my 37" TV, but someone with a 50" TV (or even someone else watching SD and HD media on my 37" TV) might think HD is worth the extra cost. My HD DVD disks do look better than my DVDs, but it doesn't prevent me from having a perfectly enjoyable viewing experience with DVDs.

I'd say as a general rule if you're happy with how DVDs look on your TV, don't worry about Blu-Ray until prices get cheaper.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3