• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: PiQ Entertainment Magazine Hits Newsstands

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gokuthamonkeyking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
uhm....
i heard this magazine didn't live up to the hype of being newtypeUSA's successor... so im guessing im not gonna buy it.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:40 am Reply with quote
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:
i heard this magazine didn't live up to the hype of being newtypeUSA's successor... so im guessing im not gonna buy it.

How many POVs did you hear?

I think it's a great first issue. Definitely surpasses my expectations. And there will be improvements in the future, as even Newtype USA evolved quite a lot from its first issue. And the staff is always available for suggestions! Anime smile I think they're still considering the free DVD, poster, etc., but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, I felt that it was very reminiscent of NTUSA in specific qualities, but it's certainly a change from the norm. (Which can be a good thing.) Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I got an early copy and it's okay. The print format is different from Newtype; it's smaller and perfect bound. I think it's better than Anime Insider but not better than Otaku USA.
gokuthamonkeyking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:

How many POVs did you hear?

I think it's a great first issue. Definitely surpasses my expectations. And there will be improvements in the future, as even Newtype USA evolved quite a lot from its first issue. And the staff is always available for suggestions! Anime smile I think they're still considering the free DVD, poster, etc., but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, I felt that it was very reminiscent of NTUSA in specific qualities, but it's certainly a change from the norm. (Which can be a good thing.) Smile

my main source of POVs is always from the ASMB. and anyways, PiQ is trying too much to be "hip" and not too much on the anime news coverage, imo. so in other words, i dont considered PiQ to be an anime magazine.
sdhd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Just got my copy today. This magazine will do well with fans who are into games, movies, the SCi-Fi channel, and anime at the same time.

Last edited by sdhd on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:
img

anime img macros make an awesome first post dawg
billyarnie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:
my main source of POVs is always from the ASMB. and anyways, PiQ is trying too much to be "hip" and not too much on the anime news coverage, imo. so in other words, i don't considered PiQ to be an anime magazine.

I guess ASMB = Adult Swim Message Boards? PiQ is trying to cover a lot & not focusing just on anime. However, they're trying to appeal to more than otaku in order to make more money. You want news coverage? ANN, my friend!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
But Comic book fans have Wizard, why would they want PIQ? What does it offer? Pro-PIQers argue that they are trying to broaden, but you DON'T shit where you eat. We are their main consumer base and should not be forsaken for a Sci-fi community that doesn't need them. If they can give coverage on Battle star Galatica why can't they devote a few minutes to anime news coverage? What if I don’t have the internet or have no idea what the ANN is? Do you know how many people I’ve directed to this site? I don't even remember how I even found this site. Oh wait, now I do! I accidently found you by mistake and even then, it was not until a year later I gave enough of a damn to return.

NOTE: I am not asking for 90% Anime 10% everything else, but maybe they should look into some of the complaints instead of the outright refusal's I have seen on this board.
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
NOTE: I am not asking for 90% Anime 10% everything else, but maybe they should look into some of the complaints instead of the outright refusal's I have seen on this board.

Well I am. Very Happy
Considering what their (PiQ's) claim was when I got my magazine now over a week ago.
The insert that came to all of us who were NewTypeUSA subscribers stated that the magazine was "everything you've enjoyed from NewTypeUSA...and much more!"

After reading through PiQ, issue#1, it is clear to me that such a statement is totally false.

It is fair to say that PiQ is not an anime magazine any more than Wizard's comic book magazine is or Starlog or Play magazine is. All three of those magazines cover anime every now and then and all three are higher quality than PiQ.
That's the problem with PiQ, it's neither a good anime magazine nor a good Sci-Fi magazine, nor a good Comicbook magazine.
It's like a Jack-of-all-trades/Master-of-none, and anyone who works in the publishing industry knows that that rarely works.

I went out and purchased the March issue of Anime-Insider to compare to PiQ.
It wasn't really a surprise to me but I found that for all of Anime-Insider's 88 pages there was nothing but anime. The first issue of PiQ is 111 pages (not counting the Shin Chan manga). Out of those 111 pages there is only 38 pages of anime related material including the "Is Anime Dead?" article.

So for all of you who bought NTUSA before this fiasco you will be getting about 76 pages of anime(38 pages per issue of PiQ you get) for every 160 pages of NTUSA you purchased (for 1 NTUSA you are "given" 2 of PiQ).
I was shocked to realize that for all its "newbie"/introduction-to-anime style, Anime-Insider was clearly superior to PiQ from an Otaku's viewpoint. That speaks volumes to anyone who is familiar with Anime-Insider.

Why would I pay $6.99/issue for a magazine that is not as good as Anime-Insider (not that AI is a good anime magazine but it is better than PiQ) when I can pay $4.99/issue for Anime-Insider?

And comparing P(retend)i('m)Q(uality) magazine to Protoculture Addicts or OtakuUSA is like comparing a Volkswagon to a Ferrari or Lamborgini. Sure they're all automobiles, but trying to put them in the same class is ludicrous. PiQ just doesn't measure up.

Some people have said to just "give it a chance."
Why? They didn't give their former NTUSA subscribers a chance to get a refund before peddling this garbage on us. So why should we give them a chance to "make the magazine better."

NewTypeUSA was a fine, quality magazine, but it was expensive. If it didn't have the distribution (which I suspect is why PiQ is trying to branch out in every direction they can) then they should have lowered the cost of the magazine by dumping the "NewType" label and freeing themselves from Kadokawa publishing.
Then they could have re-published a new anime magazine under a new label. Like Anime-America or some such thing. But butchering the entire concept and then expecting people who were paying $90.00/year to accept a magazine that was nothing like NTUSA was insane. What the heck were they thinking?
If anime really is going to die because of economic circumstances in North America than at least PiQ should have given us our subscription money back. I don't care if a person was owed only one issue, that subscriber should not have to accept two issues of this non-anime magazine unless he wants it.

They should have just given us our money back and then offered us the new magazine if we wanted it.
I know I would not have wanted even this first issue. It's not even good for toilet paper.
I see that it burns well though. Very Happy
But I'm not into that kind of thing and I don't condone it either.

I've already written this numerous times, PiQ is substandard compared to the magazine that it was supposed to succeed. NewTypeUSA will be sorely missed but PiQ will be gratefully forgotten.

KT
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
As a sidenote let me add that if they had come to their subscribers with an offer of 1 NewType-Japan for every 2 NewTypeUSA's we were owed I would have taken them up on the deal just so that my eyes didn't have to bleed from seeing PiQ!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
Kabuto Tokugawa wrote:
...I would have taken them up on the deal just so that my eyes didn't have to bleed from seeing PiQ!

What are you trying to accomplish with all this nonsense? "P(retend)i('m)Q(uality)"? Quality has nothing to do with content. It's like your putting PiQ down as a fact that it's worse than everything else. Are you purposely trying to start something with those who enjoy the magazine? If you don't like it, don't read it. Obviously, you specifically aren't the target audience.

That's right: PiQ hates you specifically. Razz

Quote:
Why? They didn't give their former NTUSA subscribers a chance to get a refund before peddling this garbage on us. So why should we give them a chance to "make the magazine better."

It's because people like you are negative in you outlook on everything that you have to put stuff down like this. You don't give anything a chance. Just accept that it's good for what it is (and what it's trying to accomplish) and you don't have to buy it. Geez. Quite honestly, I don't want people like you buying the mag.

Quote:
NewTypeUSA was a fine, quality magazine, but it was expensive. If it didn't have the distribution (which I suspect is why PiQ is trying to branch out in every direction they can) then they should have lowered the cost of the magazine by dumping the "NewType" label and freeing themselves from Kadokawa publishing.

I don't think you got the point that NTUSA belonged to ADV and PiQ doesn't. It has nothing to do with Kadokawa and the "Newtype" label.

Quote:
They should have just given us our money back and then offered us the new magazine if we wanted it.
I know I would not have wanted even this first issue. It's not even good for toilet paper.
I see that it burns well though. Very Happy
But I'm not into that kind of thing and I don't condone it either.

I wouldn't consider that a very smart business tactic, but whatever you say. Really, though, I find your last statement funny with what you've said so far. "GRR! This magazine is trash! ...But don't treat it that way." I'm surprised people can be so negative when they don't like something. Get over it. If it bothers you this much, then GTFO (as they say on this great hateful Internet).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sdhd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
I pick ANN's Protoculture Addicts and Anime Insider over PiQ any day for content and quality.

Last edited by sdhd on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass please enhance your calm towards me.
I didn't attack any forumite here and I will not engage in such childish nonsense as a flame war.
I am attacking PiQ and with good reason.
If you become personal we me about this I will simply ignore you.
And no PiQ doesn't hate me specifically it hates all anime fans universally. Very Happy

Quote:
What are you trying to accomplish with all this nonsense? "P(retend)i('m)Q(uality)"? Quality has nothing to do with content. It's like your putting PiQ down as a fact that it's worse than everything else. Are you purposely trying to start something with those who enjoy the magazine? If you don't like it, don't read it. Obviously, you specifically aren't the target audience.

That's right: PiQ hates you specifically.

I'll answer your questions.
First off I am calling P(retend) i('m) Q(uality) magazine what it is, a shadow of all the other anime based magazines out there that is trying to say it's as good and even better than its competition.
Gary Steinman tried to convince former NTUSA subscribers that this new magazine was "everything you've enjoyed from NewTypeUSA...and much more!"
He set the standard, not I.
PiQ is far below that standard.
No, I'm not trying to start something with anyone who likes PiQ. If you like it, good for you.
I can't stand it, and I would not read it if it wasn't being sent to me by force. I didn't ask for their POS magazine it's being sent to me in place of NTUSA, and I've demanded a refund.
You know what the former NTUSA staff member Robert Cortez told me?
He said it's not their problem, that all refunds are ADV's responsibility.
If that is true than why is it that PiQ is "giving" people two issues of their POS rag for every 1 issue of NTUSA that subscribers were owed?
Oh I know! They're trying to use a "run-a-round" tactic so they can keep our money.
You see Aromatic Grass, you're missing my point of frustration.
If the former NTUSA now PiQ staff owned up to giving us all our money back than there would not be the level of animosity that currently exists against this magazine.
Stealing is never acceptable for any reason, and that is what they have done, stolen our money.

Aromatic Grass;
Quote:
It's because people like you are negative in you outlook on everything that you have to put stuff down like this. You don't give anything a chance. Just accept that it's good for what it is (and what it's trying to accomplish) and you don't have to buy it. Geez. Quite honestly, I don't want people like you buying the mag.

Negative? Oh...you mean honest about the magazine. Well what did you expect me to do just accept it like a mindless zombie while they kept my money. I didn't volunteer to buy this magazine, it was forced on me.
As I stated above the PiQ staff has made it clear that they're not going to give out refunds and that ADV is supposed too.
I cry BS because there is no way PiQ could afford to give two issues of their rag for every one issue of NTUSA without the money of the former subscribers. So they're lying to us to keep our money IMHO.
Don't worry I would never have purchased a substand POS like PiQ. Protoculture Addicts is vastly superior to PiQ as is OtakuUSA and even Anime-Insider.

Aromatic Grass;
Quote:
I don't think you got the point that NTUSA belonged to ADV and PiQ doesn't. It has nothing to do with Kadokawa and the "Newtype" label.

I got the point alright. It's on an insert "white sheet" that only former NTUSA subscribers got with their first (and hopefully last) issue of PiQ.
My point was that ADV should have dumped the NewType label and created a new anime magazine instead of scrapping the whole thing.
And believe me Aromatic Grass, its not just the quality of PiQ its the "Adult Swim" content and the like that has turned many of us Otaku off completely.

Aromatic Grass;
Quote:
I wouldn't consider that a very smart business tactic...

And stealing our money is? Shocked
The last statement was a fair one. I'll put it another way for you.
PiQ should have had the decency to give back the money they owed the former subscribers of NTUSA before they issued out copies of PiQ.
Then if the former NTUSA subscribers wanted the new magazine they would have had the option of purchasing it.

The fact that PiQ did not do this, that they did in fact steal our money since many of us did not want PiQ or were even aware of what it would actually be like (some of us have a life outside the internet Razz ) is precisely why many of us are angry about this whole mess.

Now you see Aromatic Grass, I didn't attack you at all in this post.
Can you show me the same courtesy?
gdupninja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Newtype was a much better magazine then PIQ. I was reading it at the comic book store last night. PIQ trie too much too appeal to a wider audience and it focuses alot less on anime. So that staement that they made isaying that PIQ will be Newtype with soo much more is BS.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Kabuto Tokugawa wrote:
Now you see Aromatic Grass, I didn't attack you at all in this post.
Can you show me the same courtesy?

I never said you attacked me specifically, and if I somehow implied that then it was a misunderstanding. What I'm trying to say the best way I can is stop putting this off as a FACT that PiQ is terrible just because you don't like what is going on. If you're not seeing that, then that's the way you're coming across to me.

I can show you what I mean:

Quote:
And no PiQ doesn't hate me specifically it hates all anime fans universally.

Keep in mind that I'm trying to show you the same courtesy, but it's really difficult when you make claims like these. It's the way you word these in such a factual way as if you know everything that goes on.

Quote:
PiQ is far below that standard.

Could you please add "in my opinion"? It's just better for everyone if you stop at "I just don't like it" and move on with our lives. But you also have to add all these claims that they're basically criminals. Also, I'm not going to argue how it compares to the other anime mags, because they're all different and are good in their own ways.

Quote:
POS rag

So that's what we call publications that have had so much effort put into them. (This is the only part of your post that actually gets to me, personally.) Thanks for making me feel better about the kind of work I want to go into. If someone happens to not like it, then I guess it's bound to be considered a "rag" and will be burned because someone can't just leave it on the stand in the store.

Quote:
Negative? Oh...you mean honest about the magazine.

This is what I mean -- you're basically insinuating that it's a fact that we should all hate the magazine because it doesn't suit your specific needs.

Quote:
My point was that ADV should have dumped the NewType label and created a new anime magazine instead of scrapping the whole thing.

But the whole point was that ADV (although I don't know their exact intentions) was dropping the magazine altogether. They couldn't make a new anime magazine because they weren't going to make any magazine of any form. What I think you're trying to say is that the staff of the magazine now known as PiQ should've picked up where ADV left off and made a new (exclusively) anime mag.

Quote:
Stealing is never acceptable for any reason, and that is what they have done, stolen our money.

Quote:
So they're lying to us to keep our money IMHO.

Of course, I don't know the deal (since I'm not asking for a refund [which I guess makes me not a very good "otaku"]), so I'm not going to go too far into this point. But the way I see it is that it would be more complicated to halt all subscriptions just to calculate how much money should be returned and ask every single subscriber if they wanted to continue with PiQ. And if I remember correctly, they did offer everyone refunds after the announcement of PiQ to those who didn't want to continue. It's just much easier to continue the subscriptions than to drop everything and make a whole confused mess, and that doesn't mean they're "stealing."

If that came across as an attack, then I'm sorry, but I'm just trying to suggest that you should calm the rage against a magazine publication. It's not the end of the world that PiQ isn't exactly like Anime Insider. And as for refunds and all that technical stuff, it just takes time. Not everything in the world has to happen *snap* just like that. I'm sure you'll have your money returned and it won't be a big deal anymore.

Edit: Actually, I've thought about it and I must say that from the harsh way you worded those posts, it might as well be considered a personal attack on me as a reader/supporter of PiQ. But I'm not going to respond to any more of this insanity. You guys are taking things way too far.

Last edited by Aromatic Grass on Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3