• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubs and Re-dubs...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:05 am Reply with quote
Okay, I dunno about any of the other guys...
... but the whole Battle of the Planets/G-Force/Eagle Riders thing is really confusing, for me. ^^;

If anyone knows more about these series, feel free to post it here or add it to the encyclopedia.

I'm aware of this much:

All three of the above-mentiond TV series use the same source footage, "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman" ("Kagaku Ninja-tai Gatchaman")

Battle of the Planets (dubbed 1978) contains additional footage drawn by Americans to help cover the space created by editing out violence..

G-Force (dubbed 1986-1987) is a re-translation to be more accurate, with different voice actors and a different director. It's the SAME source footage as BoTP, just with new voices and less editing. It was dubbed by Turner Entertainment (the same people who created Captain Planet, amongst other travesties). It also aired on Cartoon Network a few years back (1995-ish?)

Eagle Riders (dubbed 1996-1997) is Gatchaman season 2 and 3(?), dubbed by Saban Entertainment. Only 12 episodes aired in the US, and a few dozen more elsewhere in the world.

Did any of these projects actually *finish* dubbing all the episodes of their respective series?

Does anyone know anything else about them, about how they're different/similar, and how/if they should be separately listed in the encyclopedia or if they should be listed under the same names?

At the moment, we have Battle of the Planets, with G-Force as an alternative title.. but we don't have the 1987 dub (G-Force) staff/cast listed on that page.

Would it be better to put the G-Force staff/cast in with Battle of the Planets, and then set their precision to "G-Force (1987)"

or would it be better to give G-Force its own entry in the encyclopedia?

AND, while I'm on that subject, what about other rare dubs, like Nadia by Streamline, or any of the billion or so Bad Anime dubs that only Neil Nadelman seems to have a copy of?

*SHOULD* they even be added to the Encyclopedia, and how would we go about doing that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:14 am Reply with quote
The way I would do it is Actor as Character (Dubber). Like in Akira. (Nozomu Sasaki as Shima Tetsuo (Streamline dub))
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1