• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nana DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hmm, apparently I missed this when I was checking into the second movie. Perhaps I should change the relevant comment to: "there is no information yet available on when the second movie will be released."

Viz's site says NANA 2 is out on Jul. 29, 2008.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
NANA will screen in Los Angeles, March 21-27 at the IMAGINASIAN CENTER and then in New York [City], April 4-10 at the IMAGINASIAN THEATRE.

Oh cool, I'll be in LA during that time. I'll have to see if my friend would be interested in this. Not sure. Thanks for the heads up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
marie: Technically, it says Nana, Vol. 2. And not every anime in Shojo Beat will necessarily be in the Shojo Beat line, especially considering the maturity of the material in Nana. But point taken.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
marie: Technically, it says Nana, Vol. 2. And not every anime in Shojo Beat will necessarily be in the Shojo Beat line, especially considering the maturity of the material in Nana. But point taken.

Considering that it's been confirmed that the original news article stated that Viz licensed both movies at once (something that I thought I remembered, but I couldn't find the news article at the time) I think it is pretty much a fact that this vol 2 is the second movie. And considering that, as I said, the Viz Pictures line is completely made up of live action, it would be really out of place for an anime to be there.

Plus, I would frankly be shocked if the anime isn't released as a Shojo Beat DVD, since the manga is in the SB line despite it's mature content.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
marie: You're probably right, but if you want to be technical, some of those films they own incorporate anime sequences.

Anyway, I disagree that Mika Nakashima is not good enough as Nana O. She's a dead ringer for the character, from her voice to her attitude.
[In fact, because they replaced her, I'll probably only watch the sequel if it screens in L.A., too. Though you could also argue that Shin doesn't look anything like the lovable male-bait he was portrayed as in the manga. But he still captured the personality, so I let it slide.] I will agree that the Shoji subplot kind of drags the film down, and that it should be a little faster in general, or just made into a dorama. But overall, it did a good job of capturing the feel of the series.

It's a shame the place I saw it at was practically deserted, because that means that: 1) The anime scene in L.A. is dying, 2) There's no scene in general, here, 3) J-pop is pretty much as niche as anime was in the 60s, and/or 4) The next generation of teens who might have helped the industry are more interested in one-hit tween wonders from Disney[I.E. High School Musical and/or Hannah Montana] than anime or manga.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
marie: You're probably right, but if you want to be technical, some of those films they own incorporate anime sequences.

Anyway, I disagree that Mika Nakashima is not good enough as Nana O. She's a dead ringer for the character, from her voice to her attitude.
[In fact, because they replaced her, I'll probably only watch the sequel if it screens in L.A., too. Though you could also argue that Shin doesn't look anything like the lovable male-bait he was portrayed as in the manga. But he still captured the personality, so I let it slide.] I will agree that the Shoji subplot kind of drags the film down, and that it should be a little faster in general, or just made into a dorama. But overall, it did a good job of capturing the feel of the series.

They didn't replace Mika Nakashima as Nana O. It was Aoi Miyazaki....Hachi...that was replaced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra: Oh, her? Then that's a minor loss. Thanks for the info, though. Cool
subaru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

while I do like the music from the live-action, I still prefer what the anime did with it, especially for Trapnest (I love OLIVIA and her style really fits Reira well).

totally agree with you~ they probably should have get Olivia to play Reira.

As mush as I like Mika Nakashima, she doesn't play a very good Nana........ yes, she LOOKS like Nana......... but that was it. For those who aren't familiar with who Mika Nakashima is, she isnt a rock singer at all~ Her music style is more towards Jazz, Balland, Jpop...... the slow type of muisc. In fact, Glamrous Sky is totally unlike any music that she has done thus far. Nakashima is a wonderful singer........ but not a rock singer.............. her voice just isnt suitable for rock.

On the other hand, the singer for Nana in the anime version, Anna, she is a perfect Nana~
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
subaru:
Quote:
As mush as I like Mika Nakashima, she doesn't play a very good Nana........ yes, she LOOKS like Nana......... but that was it.

I still disagree. Nana O. is someone who lacks subtlety and grace, but compensates through her assertiveness. Nakashima captured that attitude perfectly.

Quote:
For those who aren't familiar with who Mika Nakashima is, she isnt a rock singer at all~ Her music style is more towards Jazz, Balland, Jpop...... the slow type of muisc.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, as I can easily imagine Nana O. channeling older styles into her music.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
I got to see this in LA today, and I really liked it! I was a bit apprehensive yet going in, but my friend and I had a good time and thought it was a cute movie. The only thing that was weird was that it didn't seem to fit on the screen quite right, and had part of it off the screen on both the top and the bottom. But the subtitles still fit. However I could see the microphone hanging into the top part that wasn't on the screen on many of the inside up close shots and moving back and forth between the actors, and I hope that's not on the DVD somehow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2