• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Roots Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Hey... the monster's head really does look like a vulva with teeth! Mine isn't as bitey.

I don't think I'll ever see this, I'm still curious about Garzey's Wing, but most of the Buried Garbage segments are of no interest. Scratch My Breast is a very unfortunate Engrish title, rather like calling a song "kick your balls in gear" which I can see happening. Or maybe "cramp up the volume". It's interesting thinking about the ways in which language can be misinterpreted, like that whole "Ich bin ein Berliner" thing, berliner meaning donut in german, the correct way to say what was actually meant would be "Ich bin Berliner".

I think that's an urban legend. Wikipedia claims so anyway
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah, my German teacher told me it was true, oh well. Can I trust wiki for accuracy? It has certain articles that are... appalling.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Is that naked vision the last scene in the OVA? Because you said earlier, Justin, that the monster has the ability to invade your mind and kill you. I think the "vision" that Moira had could very well had been a mind trap that the monster put over her and Buzz just before it kills them. So, it could be possible that both Moira and Buzz were already dead during that naked scene with the Space Odyssey baby...or they were already in the afterlife. That seems to be the only logical reason to me why the OVA ended the way it did. If the alien creature won, there really isn't that much point in continuing the OVA, is there? I mean, what would they do next after that? Have the alien incubate the entire ship until it crash lands on a distance planet? Have it open a BBQ stand in outer space where other aliens can help themselves to all-you-can-eat-humans?? Confused

Sounds like a pretty eerie way to end an OVA though. I actually want to check this out now, despite the flaws. Smile
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Is that naked vision the last scene in the OVA?

No. The last scene shows a post-vision Moira and Buzz confidently walking off into the bowels of the spaceship, which has by now become a giant pulsating alien uterus. The end! No moral.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Great read as always, though I'm a bit disappointed that this Buried Garbage doesn't sound as remotely fun as the others. Mad Bull 34, The Humanoid, Angel Cop and Garzey's Wing were so crazy, awful and inane that they were actually fun to watch. Roots Search just seems bad and not in a "so bad it's good" way.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Can you do Gall Force or Project A-ko next? I want to know the availability of some stuff I actually saw and liked, which you haven't done yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Copies of the LD pop up every now and then and go for next to nothing. There really isn't anything in Roots that should make you go out of your way to obtain it though. It's nothing special, just bad.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Okay, after finally watching this OVA, I have to make a few notes here.

1. The "Alien X" that Scott calls it in the OVA can talk (it has an awesome voice BTW Smile) and repeatedly calls itself the "messenger of God". Apparently, it appears to hate humans that are connected with malice, lust, and any other sin they have. The alien thinks it is right to pass judgment on them as a result. Alien X first reads into the minds of the different crew members and researchers on board. In other words, it searches the roots of their sins, brings the vision to life in the form of different illusions, and drives them insane. It then kills them off afterwards.

2. The photorealistic woman lying in the stasis chamber appears in the ending credits. Purpose? Unknown. I'm not sure if that is Moira though.

3. At the end of the OVA, the "Green Planet" ship and the research station don't exist anymore as the reactor had already blown everything to smithereens. Moira and Buzz appear in a strange alien cavern with Moira stating that the alien gave them "one last chance". One last chance for what exactly? Last chance for a fight or a last chance to live? It is possible that Alien X saved Moira and Buzz's lives because it believes that they are both pure of heart and not associated with the other sinners. Perhaps that is why Buzz was wounded and not killed off entirely on the "Green Planet". It also appears that the wounds that he received earlier was a result of him getting his ass kicked by his possessed crewmates. Finally, happy music plays and we see both Moira and Buzz walking into the light unarmed, hopeful for a better future. What lies at the end of the tunnel is a mystery that will probably remain.

4. The way the OVA ended, it looked like the director of this show specifically wanted it to end on this note. If there is a battle with Alien X to be resolved, it doesn't look like it. If anything, it looks like nothing but good things for Moira and Buzz from this point on.

That's my view after watching the OVA. While I know that the budget for this OVA was cheap and a lot of things were rushed and the ending a ponderer, it isn't the worst anime I've ever seen. As a matter of fact, the OVA was actually kinda fun in a cheap sci-fi horror flick kind of way. Smile
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
The '80's were...unfortunate.

Excuse me for not sympathizing with this "unfortunate" sentiment. It's blanket statements like this that really get on my nerves. Why don't you try adding something to the conversation instead of using ridiculous one-liner's like this? I can think of plenty of things about the 80's that were pretty doggone good. I don't think that the era determines the quality of anything. There were bad anime in the 80's and there's plenty of bad anime today so you're statement is pretty much pointless.

As for the review itself, I can understand this one being really bad. I have an old ex-rental copy of the movie myself and have watched it a total of twice since I got into anime. This is not a very good example of great anime of the 1980's. It's really unfortunate that that's what we were saddled with back when anime was first being introduced to the "hardcore" audience (i.e. those that were willing to watch it in Japanese w/subtitles). Stuff like the original M.D. Geist, Gall Force and Iczer One are pretty cool but, this one just gives 80's anime a bad name. That, Mad Bull and Violence Jack... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
That review was hilarious! I can't stop laughing at both how horribly suck the anime sounds and just by reading the review.

That was a fun read. Very Happy
feytaline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I love Buried Garbage. Anime hyper These anime sound so epically horrific I want to grab a few friends, some Capn' or other adult beverage, and watch away. This one in particular sounds amazing. Like, wow. I hope I someday can find anime like this in a dollar bin somewhere. It will make my night.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Ah, my German teacher told me it was true, oh well. Can I trust wiki for accuracy? It has certain articles that are... appalling.

Sorry to go OT here, but I want to spread the love about Berliners Smile

This is a Berliner, it's filled with jam (A lot of varieties here, different jams in different parts of the country), but the thing itself has the same sugary feel a donut has.

Anyway, I would so love to see this with friends, it sounds as if someone had made Sunshine (A movie released in 2006, it sucks) out of it, and only slightly improved it Very Happy
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
This is not a very good example of great anime of the 1980's...

I agree that there are a bunch of amazing anime titles from the 80s. After all Akira, Area 88, Bubblegum Crisis, City Hunter, Grave of the Fireflies, Gunbuster, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Macross, Maison Ikkoku, Nausicaa, Orange Road, and Zeta Gundam all came out in the 80s.

Obviously Roots Search isn't part of this list, nor would I expect any of the above mentioned titles listed as Garbage. Honestly I would also have a hard time placing M. D. Geist (sorry LeoKnight, although Iczer is a guilty pleasure of mine) on this list and always wondered why USMC stuck with it for a logo. The titles that have popped up in the Garbage column are truly awful.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
LeoKnight25 wrote:

I agree that there are a bunch of amazing anime titles from the 80s. After all Akira, Area 88, Bubblegum Crisis, City Hunter, Grave of the Fireflies, Gunbuster, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Macross, Maison Ikkoku, Nausicaa, Orange Road, and Zeta Gundam all came out in the 80s.

Obviously Roots Search isn't part of this list, nor would I expect any of the above mentioned titles listed as Garbage. Honestly I would also have a hard time placing M. D. Geist (sorry LeoKnight, although Iczer is a guilty pleasure of mine) on this list and always wondered why USMC stuck with it for a logo. The titles that have popped up in the Garbage column are truly awful.

All of the titles you mentioned, Randall, are extremely great examples of great 80's anime, and most of them are some of my absolute favorite anime. I have not seen "Grave of the Fireflies" even though it looks to be a fantastic film, but someday I will watch it.

And you're right, the titles listed on Buried Garbage aren't any of the good ones (except for in my opinion, the Humanoid). I was just a tad upset over the previous post I quoted, which had no kind of explanation about anything. Just a dumb blanket statement about the 80's being "unfortunate". Sure it had it's weird hairstyles and clothing styles but, some of the best things came out of the 1980's, a lot of great anime among those other great things. It's just a shame that there's so many closed minded people who make statements like this and really, I would think it would hurt the chances of anime from any other era from making it stateside because of sentiments like this.

And to be fair, M.D. Geist ain't high art, but the music is phat and even the storyline is pretty doggone cool. Animation wise, it's not too bad so, really in my opinion it kinda gets an undeserved bad rep. But I respect your opinion on that. And yeah, Iczer One is a helluva fun series. In fact, most of Toshihiro Hirano's stuff is off the hook. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
LeoKnight25 wrote:

Don't forget Robot Carnival. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3