• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Film Wraps Shooting in Mexico

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
And here's Jet Li as the original Goku from Journey to the West in Forbidden Kingdom. Pic courtesy of the forums on his site.

Asian Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
This movie will fail because they are not using Japanese or atleast Asian person as the characters especially the main characters. Seeing the same fate have fall into one missed call, but I just hope even they are not using Japanese or Asian, they are not putting any racial scene stuff on it.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
This movie will fail because they are not using Japanese or atleast Asian person as the characters especially the main characters. Seeing the same fate have fall into one missed call, but I just hope even they are not using Japanese or Asian, they are not putting any racial scene stuff on it.

This is ridiculous. Dragonball Z didn't have any "Asian" main characters in it. Goku was a friggen alien, as were all the Saiyans and Piccolo. The only one you could make a case for being Asian is Yajirobe, but he was just an annoying side character.

Stop playing the race card.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
First of all you should know who made Dragon Ball and why Asian cosplayer looks better when cosplaying as Anime characters. Even most DBZ characters are alien based on the story but their form [ the human one ] are Asian form.

Yajirobe? you forgetting about Chi Chi, Videl, Satan, and the others?

This is not about race because Asian will not do good if Batman or Superman made into Japanese or Asian version since the characters are American, or Kim Possible made into live action with Asian peoples as the characters. I'm just stating fact.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy: Um, Batman just got made into an anime...And DBZ is probably inspired from Superman. Of course, I do agree that the adaptation in itself should respect the Asian nature of the series, but
making your own version of the same idea is not impossible.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
According to the Wikipedia article, the film has a budget of $100 million. That's over $9000!

I knew this was coming.

Hon'ya-chan...how can this be possible? No one in the real world has Goku hair. Shocked

IDK I've seen some crazy shit,here in Vegas,and just about every hairstyle you could imagine.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
Why are any of you arguing with "Asian Guy" whose avatar says "proud asian" and whose location text says "asia land of anime" when he argues that this movie will be horrible because Asian actors aren't involved?

When do you stop and say "yeah well maybe this one I shouldn't really respond to"?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:28 am Reply with quote
Maybe asianguy and Kyuu should be locked in a room for a few hours. That would probably be entertaining and we could take bets on who would win that street fight.

As for me I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. The odds are it will probably not be very good but I'll wait for the actual movie to be out before passing judgment. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised and it won't be a complete suck fest. Maybe during shooting of the film all the other actors took acting lessons from Chow Yun Fat heh. Plus the one positive factor regardless is other movie companies are starting to take real notice of anime as a medium and the potential for movie adaptations off of the material. Hopefully this will get more American companies interested in pumping some money into the industry and taking some chances.

TokyoGetter wrote:
I'm wondering how much of this will involve RIDICULOUS green-screening.

I'm also wondering why they couldn't get some bigger actors. : /

And if the green screening helps make things more realistic then what's the problem? I also suppose Chow Yun Fat isn't big enough for your tastes. Don't say that to asianguy or he might lose his mind heh.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
According to the Wikipedia article, the film has a budget of $100 million. That's over $9000!

I knew this was coming.

Hon'ya-chan...how can this be possible? No one in the real world has Goku hair. Shocked

IDK I've seen some crazy shit,here in Vegas,and just about every hairstyle you could imagine.

And how hard (or cost effective) is it to get a frickin' stylist a/or a wig maker to make Goku's spikey hair? It doesn't have to be super-duper accurate, but man, that actor's hair is as flat as some anime characters bustlines.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Asian Guy: Um, Batman just got made into an anime...And DBZ is probably inspired from Superman.

No DBZ not inspired from any other existing show before it is made by Akira Toriyama, you can only hope.

Quote:

Of course, I do agree that the adaptation in itself should respect the Asian nature of the series, but
making your own version of the same idea is not impossible.

I don't see the decision the American made to use their own peoples as the character as something that disrespect the Japanese or Asian nature of the series. It is just I'm saying the movie will fail like one missed call for not using Japanese or Asian characters especially DBZ are based from Anime thus characters are Asians. Not to mention it is involving Asian martial arts such as Kung Fu.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Why are any of you arguing with "Asian Guy" whose avatar says "proud asian" and whose location text says "asia land of anime" when he argues that this movie will be horrible because Asian actors aren't involved?

When do you stop and say "yeah well maybe this one I shouldn't really respond to"?

lol, good point. Those are the classic earmarks of a troll. My bad for feeding him.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy: One Missed Call failed, because no one big was in it, and because the theme wasn't that great in the first place.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Asian Guy: One Missed Call failed, because no one big was in it, and because the theme wasn't that great in the first place.

Not to mention I think they spent $10 marketing it.

Also it's kind of funny to think that the average American moviegoer was like "Hm, what's this movie about.... what, no asians are this?! Well, count me out!"
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

And how hard (or cost effective) is it to get a frickin' stylist a/or a wig maker to make Goku's spikey hair? It doesn't have to be super-duper accurate, but man, that actor's hair is as flat as some anime characters bustlines.

I think they were shooting for realism, dude. No one's going to run around with 2 ft. spikes, because it's a) not feasible to do in a time-efficient manner every morning before school/work/your day, and b) it would just get squashed while fighting anyway.

They decided on Chatwin's hair probably because it was realistic, yet resemblant of Goku's hair. And they *do* have a stylist-- who decided on that style.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
dude.

I'm actually a girl.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7