• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Film Wraps Shooting in Mexico

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
dude.

I'm actually a girl.....

I wasn't using "dude" to imply gender.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Asian Guy: One Missed Call failed, because no one big was in it, and because the theme wasn't that great in the first place.

What do you mean with big? peoples size?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Asian Guy: No, I mean famous or recognizable.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't think one missed call failed because no big scene on it but more into the characters that are not suited for the action. It will be the same for Dragon Ball that includes Asian martial arts especially Kung Fu, it will be odd if performed by a non Asian characters.

Not just he martial arts part but also some other Asian stuff on the movie such as the temple, dragon myth, also the Kanji symbol on Goku and a few others Dragon Ball characters cloth.

This will be a deferent story if Dragon Ball live movie not following the story and setting of Dragon Ball Anime.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
Midnight Eye Goku managed to be a decent modern update of the idea. But then it's still set in Japan, so...
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
I don't think one missed call failed because no big scene on it but more into the characters that are not suited for the action. It will be the same for Dragon Ball that includes Asian martial arts especially Kung Fu, it will be odd if performed by a non Asian characters.

Not just he martial arts part but also some other Asian stuff on the movie such as the temple, dragon myth, also the Kanji symbol on Goku and a few others Dragon Ball characters cloth.

This will be a deferent story if Dragon Ball live movie not following the story and setting of Dragon Ball Anime.

...It's not like it's physically impossible for a non-asian to know kung fu, or wear a gi with his dojo's symbol on it.

Oh yeah, Chow Yun-Fat, Jamie Chung, Joon Park, Eriko Tamura, Randall Duk Kim sure do sound pretty Asian to me.

If anything this sort of reminds me of the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Many characters were cast with American actors with the exception of Arthur Dent, who was very obviously British in the story. The rest were Aliens or otherwise believably non-british. Either way I'm not holding my breath for this movie. I'll probably see it at least once to see their treatment of the fight sequences but after hearing about all the changes on every level to the story, the art, etc. It makes me wonder if it'll really be dragonball in name only. Though deep inside I hope it'd be at least as successful an adaptation as Transformers was.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
Though deep inside I hope it'd be at least as successful an adaptation as Transformers was.

Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

Say what you will about Transformers, it's still probably the single best adaptation of any animated media, even with all the humans they crammed down everyone's throat. That doesn't speak too well of our movie industry, but over the years I've developed lowered expectations after watching enough video game adaptations.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

Say what you will about Transformers, it's still probably the single best adaptation of any animated media, even with all the humans they crammed down everyone's throat. That doesn't speak too well of our movie industry, but over the years I've developed lowered expectations after watching enough video game adaptations.

Even if it's not considered very good by many people, it still did very well in theaters, so it seems like a success to me. Not sure about its dvd sales.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Even if it's not considered very good by many people, it still did very well in theaters, so it seems like a success to me. Not sure about its dvd sales.

I'm not just talking about sales though but the relative level of artistic butchery. Transformers the movie did have one big flaw, which was that in hopes of attracting audiences it drew a lot of attention away from the transformers and towards a human cast. That said though, all things considered it was probably the single closest to its source material and seemed a lot like just another adaptation, but with a huge budget and live actors.

So far the only screen adaptations that have really been starting get it right are the comic book adaptations, but if you look at video game based films and most other source material then hollywood execs have no problem butchering the source material to make a quick buck. So all things considered, even with its major flaw Transformers was a smashing success.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Transformers animation [ Cartoon ] are based on the American themselves so when it is turned into live movie using American actors the result as matched especially there is no Asian stuff such as martial arts, cultures, etc on it unlike Dragon Ball.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
Transformers animation [ Cartoon ] are based on the American themselves so when it is turned into live movie using American actors the result as matched especially there is no Asian stuff such as martial arts, cultures, etc on it unlike Dragon Ball.

Wrong. Transformers is Japanese in origin. The cartoon that you see is taken from Japanese Transformers footage, edited, and dubbed. Much like Robotech.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:

Wrong. Transformers is Japanese in origin. The cartoon that you see is taken from Japanese Transformers footage, edited, and dubbed. Much like Robotech.

I hope you first checking your information first before you are saying something is wrong or true.

http://tv.yahoo.com/transformers-animated/show/41975/castcrew;_ylt=AgNOMCuX_uJMJsTOB5RI1hgbqdEF

http://tv.yahoo.com/transformers-cybertron-robots-in-disguise/show/38717/castcrew;_ylt=AhJxiVRN.Dps_fjcQ2ir1AMbqdEF

http://tv.yahoo.com/transformers-robots-in-disguise/show/34293/castcrew;_ylt=AsEIt5QxT0aIYXxlw7_jZqcbqdEF
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
It's like replacing any characters trademark guns (Togusa's Mateba, Revy's twin Beretta 92's, Vash and Alcards custom guns) with Desert Eagles....or giving Takumi a Nissan 200SX (S12). You essentially strip identity of that character.

Funimation did just that during their beginning years.They gave all the Z warriors,guns.I laughed like all hell when I saw Goku with a pistol.I have a friend that is an extensive collector of action figures that collected them all.I will laugh even harder if they make figures for this movie.I really hope Goku doesn't have a gun in this movie.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:

Zac said it best himself already fighter back on page 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7