• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Works to be Streamed Simultaneously with Airing

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zalas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
Wow... just wow. Now I'm curious as to who they hired to translate it to English. Judging from the English website for Blassreiter, at least it won't be another Gin'iro, hopefully <_<
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
Now THIS is more like it. This is what I have been saying really needs to happen in order to fight fansubbers if anime companies want to be serious about it. Fansubs have demand for two reasons: 1) they're free and 2) they're fast, compared to the minimum several month wait it takes for anything to reach the US in "official" form.

This is free, fast, AND official. As much as I generally dislike Gonzo's work (with some notable exceptions), I hope this works out for them. It could be a major step in the right direction for the industry as a whole.

Last edited by MetatronM on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
As a (lazy) fansubber, this sorta makes me feel like one of the members of Gundam 00's Celestial Being. This is what fansubbers originally aimed for, and it's now finally becoming reality.

Pretty soon, fansubbers will be practically redundant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
feytaline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
THIS is what I'm talking about!!!! This is the ideal situation where there is no stealing involved.
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I hope other anime studios do the same.
scottjam65

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
It's good to see that the Japanese are finally taking action to at least try to minimize the effect of fansubbing on the industry. It will be interesting to see what the future brings, especially concerning series that may not be as popular. And there is still room for American licensors to provide hard copy DVDs and English dubs as well.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
It looks like BOST already has a special page up just for this event:
http://www.bosttv.com/gonzo/
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
Well, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. It brings to mind a portion of one fansub group's FAQ:
Quote:
When, if ever, will you guys stop subbing?
When subtitled anime airs at the same time as in Japan, worldwide. Or possibly when we find the love of beautiful women.
crilix

scottjam65 wrote:
And there is still room for American licensors to provide hard copy DVDs and English dubs as well.
I honestly wonder if there's place for American licensing companies after this, apart from some production involvement (dubs, if at all). Middlemen are a dying breed. Either way, this is a great move. 2 out of 19 shows I want to check out this season are streaming legally. Can't make my day any better. Very Happy
Xeric

I'm really glad to see this. I've been expecting it for quite a while; it's really the logical next step. Surely other companies will follow suit when they see that Gonzo is getting some of its market back. Of course it must also be noted that free fansubs will never disappear completely. Even still, I think (read: hope) that the extra revenue will be enough to lead to a boost in the industry.
saini85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
I agree that this is great but are these shows going to be streamed in the same quality of video that youtube has now? If so, then I don't know whether fansubs will become obsolete or not because I would much rather watch a fansub instead of a youtube quality video.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
This is just the beginning. Get ready folks. The new era in the anime industry starts now.
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
saini85 wrote:
I agree that this is great but are these shows going to be streamed in the same quality of video that youtube has now? If so, then I don't know whether fansubs will become obsolete or not because I would much rather watch a fansub instead of a youtube quality video.

They're also airing on BOST so the quality probably won't be terrible.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
I hate to be pessimistic, but is there any idea on how well done the subtitles will be? I'm sure I'll be checking this out first hand though to see myself.

Also, same day release is truly...revolutionary. It seems like it would be very tough for some shows to follow that schedule since I always hear about anime not being complete till the very last minute.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
saini85 wrote:

I agree with this sentiment. The only streaming I've seen that was even worth watching, IMO, was the DivX webviewer streaming of G00 RAWs from one of the groups subbing the series. I could actually blow those up to fullscreen (1280x720) and they looked very pretty. The full 350~ MB file was streaming. If these are not full resolution files, I won't be streaming, period. It's a waste of my time. However, I'm very interested in the part about fee-based downloading. If they can make them available for download within 2-3 days of the streaming for 2-3 USD an episode, I'll be all over that.

Vortextk wrote:
Also, same day release is truly...revolutionary. It seems like it would be very tough for some shows to follow that schedule since I always hear about anime not being complete till the very last minute.

Yes, but the script is always done in advance. It's the animation and dubbing that sometimes runs right up until near broadcast time. So if they have decent translators, they could have the English script ready before the animation is, in some cases. All that would then need to be done is the timing, which depending on program and talent of person doing it, can be done in 30-90 minutes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9