• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ADV Films [2008-03-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The comments about the unfinished Geneon series are disturbing, however. I have to think there's still a good amount of fan interest in seeing When They Cry finished, and I'd certainly like to see someone pick up the rest of Story of Saiunkoku.

Yes! I agree! I want Shounen Onmyouji and Rozen Maiden to be finished (mostly SO because I love it to death). I hope some company considers "rescuing" some of Geneon's titles! If I had an anime licensing company (which I don't, I'm still a kid), I'd do that in less than a second! Anyway, good news for ADV! They got Kiba! I'm not too fond of Gurren Lagann, so...sorry to those who do!
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That runs against everything I ever heard in regards to the R2 industry and the R1 industry.

Yeah, it depends on the title in question. Lower-budget moé shows are more likely to be self-sustainable, so it's no coincidence that studios emphasize that market. While product doesn't sell as well as before (although numbers still tend to look better than many "mainstream" titles), the threshold for success is lower.

It's the big-budget, mainstream stuff that's in trouble. Critically acclaimed shows like Serei no Moribito (~2k per volume) have bombed hard, while Claymore and Darker than Black (~5k to 7k copies per volume) fall well short of the traditional break-even point (10k per volume). These kinds of shows depend on foreign sales to become profitable.

In short, the weaker the foreign markets, the less lavish, mainstream product (appealing to overseas fans, but less to Japanese otaku) we'll see. Studios respond by tightening budgets and making more of what's guaranteed to sell.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
melon: I think ADV is interested in HD releases, but it's not going to put all its eggs in one basket with that transition.

firecrouch: The problem with boxsets is they diminish the value of a property. They're a given for a longer and more fan-specific series like Shin Chan or Case Closed, but they're not really helpful for shorter and more general audience titles like Aquarion and Buso Renkin

rg:
Quote:
It's the big-budget, mainstream stuff that's in trouble. Critically acclaimed shows like Serei no Moribito (~2k per volume) have bombed hard, while Claymore and Darker than Black (~5k to 7k copies per volume) fall well short of the traditional break-even point (10k per volume). These kinds of shows depend on foreign sales to become profitable.

And then people wonder why I hate the Akihibara crowd. They're like the perverted equivalent of Whedon fans-i.e. [expletive] up the genre for the rest of us.
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:
Quote:
That runs against everything I ever heard in regards to the R2 industry and the R1 industry.

Yeah, it depends on the title in question. Lower-budget moé shows are more likely to be self-sustainable, so it's no coincidence that studios emphasize that market. While product doesn't sell as well as before (although numbers still tend to look better than many "mainstream" titles), the threshold for success is lower.

In short, the weaker the foreign markets, the less lavish, mainstream product (appealing to overseas fans, but less to Japanese otaku) we'll see. Studios respond by tightening budgets and making more of what's guaranteed to sell.

Wait…your line of reasoning confuses me. Wasn't Naruto popular in Japan and isn't it popular here as well? Also, when you speak of "mainstream" appeal isn't that argument somewhat subjective considering animes like EVA, while popular amongst many Japanese/US anime fans, bombed when aired on American television? I understand that some shows may not appeal to Japanese fans as opposed to US fans; but by what standard are we using to determine what is and isn’t appealing to American audiences?(Because I assume overseas fans would encompass more than America.)

Also, isn't moe even with it's popularity alone unable to support the whole of the anime market even in Japan?

Last edited by Dramatis Personae on Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He also argued that even making English-language dubs available at the same time as the Japanese release is not impossible. Ultimately, in his words, day-and-date releases between the U.S. and Japan will happen "because they have to happen", if the entire industry is to survive.

HOLY CRAP! Amazing. All those naysayers who insisted that it was impossible were all a bunch of liars. Apparently it ISN'T impossible, and we can stop making excuses, yes?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
All of this is distracting from what should be the biggest point of that panel: a satisfying explanation for what happened to ADV in February, and why TTGL and Sgt. Frog are still off-schedule. Hopefully that will lessen the heat some fans have been giving ADV for the delays and further reassure the ones that are still antsy.
Well, as far as Gunsou, they say "TV Deal" but by this point, I'm assuming they've scrubed it and hence, thub is up ass in that regard.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
HOLY CRAP! Amazing. All those naysayers who insisted that it was impossible were all a bunch of liars. Apparently it ISN'T impossible, and we can stop making excuses, yes?
It's not impossible if the Japanese want to allow an English dub to be produced during the regular production on their end. Right now, they do all the production work for the Japanese broadcast and then, generally, it's only after it airs that other companies get involved. (One of the few times I can remember that this wasn't the case was with IGPX.)

Basically, an English dub available at the same times as the Japanese release is easily possible if the Japanese partner with R1 companies BEFORE the Japanese release happens. (Which would require either them paying the R1 companies to make the dub, which isn't likely, or the R1 companies taking a leap of faith that the series will successful enough to justify their expenses, which might be even more unlikely. Desperation may force the issue but there's a lot of risk involved.)

I hope ADV can work out something with Sgt. Frog for a TV deal, since it seems pretty obvious that they think it's necessary for the show's release here. It looks damn funny.

I'm a bit worried that they're release schedule and restocks are apparently still not back up to par though. Makes me nervous.
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wait…your line of reasoning confuses me. Wasn't Naruto popular in Japan and isn't it popular here as well? Also, when you speak of "mainstream" appeal isn't that argument somewhat subjective considering animes like EVA, while popular amongst many Japanese/US anime fans, bombed when aired on American television. I understand that some shows may not appeal to Japanese fans as opposed to US fans; but by what standard are we using to determine what is and isn’t appealing to American audiences?(Because I assume overseas fans would encompass more than America.)

By "mainstream" (poor word choice on my part), I'm mainly referring to shows like EVA or Planetes. Basically, it's still product aimed at an older DVD buying public (and which depend on DVD sales to make money), but with broader aims than shows that overwhelmingly zero in on a particular set of tastes.

In Japan, DVD versions of Naruto and Inuyasha don't sell at retail. However, the producers make a lot of money on broadcasts and associated merchandise, so it's almost like a different market.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
I'm also interested in why he thinks season boxsets aren't necessarily the best route.

Because if you're on the fence about a title, would you rather pay $30 for a handful of episodes or $100 for the entire series?

As for the Blu-ray issue, I'd be more concerned about get more content onto a DVD than how good the content looks.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ADV Films wrote:
At the same time, ADV has experienced a period of release schedule delays. The delays were largely due to the original ownership of the affected titles in Japan transfering from their original owners that ADV had acquired them from to new companies.

So the reason all the titles were delayed had nothing to do with Blu-Ray. As I expected, BTW. I am still a bit mystified as to why that became the accepted reasoning for that whole debacle. But I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

ADV Films wrote:
Gurren Lagann and Keroro Gunso, for which ADV is "negotiating to maximize the value of the title in the U.S.", strongly suggesting ongoing negotiations to place it on American television.

It is my belief that ADV feels that Gurren Lagann is another cash cow on the same level as Eva, possibly more with TV exposure. That is all speculative of course, but I do hope they are right. NA needs another high revenue hit. Bad.

ADV Films wrote:
Similarly, while some other companies are beginning to look into novel release formats, such as half-season sets, he argues that for the industry as a whole, single DVD releases are not yet economically feasible. Ultimately, those remain a significant revenue generator to recoup licensing and production costs. ADV may consider full-season distribution for some future "C-level" titles, but even for those, half-season sets are not likely.

I am having trouble understanding the paragraph the way it is written. Could someone please tell me what it means? Does this mean more or less season sets? Common sense tells me more, but the way I am reading it, it seems to contradict itself. Particularly the first sentence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Quote:
He also argued that even making English-language dubs available at the same time as the Japanese release is not impossible. Ultimately, in his words, day-and-date releases between the U.S. and Japan will happen "because they have to happen", if the entire industry is to survive.

No if that ultimately means poorer quality dubs again. Haste makes waste and all that. I'd rather wait a few months if it means a much better dub with proper talent. I for one think Blu-ray is a red-herring as just how sharp can a pencil line get? I'm quite happy with the colours I get now with 625 PAL, so Blu-ray is neither here, nor there with me. Also he might not think that finishing what Geneon started is profitable, ADV isn't the only company looking at Geneon's licenses, is he? Or is he also thinking of buying FUNi out too? Now that would be scary! Shocked
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

The comments about the unfinished Geneon series are disturbing, however. I have to think there's still a good amount of fan interest in seeing When They Cry finished, and I'd certainly like to see someone pick up the rest of Story of Saiunkoku.

I totally agree. I want the rest of Saiunkoku! I'm not quite as worried about Hellsing Ultimate, but I want the rest of that too!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
All of this is distracting from what should be the biggest point of that panel: a satisfying explanation for what happened to ADV in February, and why TTGL and Sgt. Frog are still off-schedule. Hopefully that will lessen the heat some fans have been giving ADV for the delays and further reassure the ones that are still antsy.

Sgt. Frog was never "on-schedule" to begin with though, so ADV's continued silence on it isn't too surprising. TTGL is another matter obviously, but it's not like we'll have to wait for the major convention (like ACen) to hear about it...they could easily just shoot out a press release on some Wednesday afternoon saying "hay guys Gurren Lagann comes out June 3rd."

Something doesn't add up about the Geneon comments, though. I've seen posts on AoD from M-B's John Sirabella saying the same thing, "I don't want the unfinished stuff, but the unreleased titles could have potential." But seriously, you'd think titles like Black Lagoon and Karin would be far more marketable than some of the unreleased shows like Nanoha* and Deltora Quest. Not to mention that dubbing work got finished on several series like When they Cry, Rozen Maiden, and Black Lagoon, so that's another cost that could be reduced or avoided.
RevyHenriettaRider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Hello!Smile

I completely agree with the thought that the ongoing Geneon titles would make more money than the ones that have not even come out. Many people already have in their collection the ongoing titles and want to complete them first. I want Kyo Kara Maoh, Black Lagoon, The Story of Saiunkoku, Rozen Maiden and the other ongoing ones before I want to put the money into a new series that I am not sure that I will like especially when I am already invested in the ongoing Geneon titles.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
ADV Films wrote:
At the same time, ADV has experienced a period of release schedule delays. The delays were largely due to the original ownership of the affected titles in Japan transfering from their original owners that ADV had acquired them from to new companies.

So the reason all the titles were delayed had nothing to do with Blu-Ray. As I expected, BTW. I am still a bit mystified as to why that became the accepted reasoning for that whole debacle. But I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

ADV released a press release saying they are planning BluRay releases (though their comments at this con make is sound like they have no plans for that at the moment) but never said anything about their issues in that release. Then dozens of people suddenly start posting here "Oh, so that's what's going on" and accept it as an explanation without giving it a second thought. But how commonly accepted that explanation was depends on what board you are talking about. That was here. At AoD, on the other hand, most people said, "Wait, that doesn't make any sense." I can't say how any other boards took it as I don't post at any others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3