• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach- What's up with the Spanish?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
joel_s95387 wrote:
Its getting a bit off topic but I thought that it is still unknown why he named the series Bleach.

Yah, it's been a while since this thread got any activity but the answer as to why Bleach is called "Bleach" was answered by Kubo himself in the Nov. 08 issue of Shonen Jump.

Tite Kubo wrote:
The title wasn't Bleach when I decided to draw a story about Soul Reapers. This was before I drew the one-shot manga that appeared in Akamaru Jump. The weapon wasn't a sword, but a scythe. Only Rukia had a scythe and the other characters used guns. At that point, the title was Snipe [as in "sniper"]. Right before I started drawing, I began to think that a sword would be better and realized I couldn't use Snipe as a title anymore. I began looking for a title that grasped the bigger picture. Soul Reapers are associated with the color black, but it would have been boring to use "black." "White", on the other hand, can suggest black as a complementary color. So I chose "bleach" to evoke the impression of the color white.

And there you have it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agoston

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that makes sense.. Interesting. Kind of disappointed that it wasn't the Nirvana album though Very Happy
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow you guys need to read Shonen Jump. He's answered in interviews why it's called Bleach and why there's so much Spanish...
Agoston

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Wow you guys need to read Shonen Jump. He's answered in interviews why it's called Bleach and why there's so much Spanish...

Uhh.. you need to read the last few posts lol
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
population_tire wrote:

Uhh.. you need to read the last few posts lol

Oh sorry, didn't see there was a third page. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3