• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Crunchyroll's Vu Nguyen

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lainforce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
That interview was just unfair.

I felt I had so much to say about it before... but that's all I ended up with.
krelyan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Shuchung wrote:
krelyan wrote:
I was just making a comment on what seems to me to be a contradiction that Mr. Nguyen makes. There certainly seems to be a potential for profit to be made or there wouldn’t be any “revenue sharing” agreements or investment money. I’m just curious what changed with the VC infusion that all of the sudden netting a profit is now a realization when Nguyen specifically notes that there was no such profit prior to the 4 million? How do you remove a source of revenue (the donation system) yet add costs (payroll and other costs associated with becoming “legit”) and now all the sudden you’re able to turn a profit? Something just doesn’t add up to me.

I don't think Mr. Nguyen ever denied the potential of net profiting. From this interview he claimed, "we weren't trying to profit but cover costs." So based on his words, it sounds like they could profit more, but they weren't trying to.

Traffic count can be used to draw in more advertisers, and advertisers would be willing to pay more. Investments can be used to expand the site and raise the quality of the service. Create partnerships with other companies... etc.

In his own words:
Vu Nguyen wrote:
So we had to either shut it down or solicit donations.

Yes, a higher traffic count would increase your ad revenue, but it also increases the maintenance costs. And he stated right there that ad revenue was not covering the costs.

Look, obviously the profit is there or else you wouldn't have investors looking into your site. But I just don't see how it meshes at all with the picture that Mr. Nguyen painted.
krelyan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
FreedomNo1 wrote:
True sales may not be increasing, but I meant that companies must look for alternatives to adapt with the new shifts and changes in technology such as allowing the purchasing of anime with subscriptions or something this could be done on crunchyroll for example where people could pay a monthly subscription for viewing copyrighted videos online and give some of the money to the distrubutors and artists while allowing some benefits for non-members like allowing them to watch unlicensed videos.

Anyways music, anime, and videos of any kind all face the same problems of distrubution so as to your point about exposure not increasing sales well a counterpoint this relates more to music inparticular but invloves the interrelation between common problems facing these industries meaning that it could easily be proven to be true in video and anime industries as well.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071102.WBcyberia20071102184331/WBStory/WBcyberia

anyways was wondering if All Dvd sales have plummeted as you have mentioned then is it not possible that the items were purchased in another way.

You appear to be contradicting yourself by stating that sales are down but are still suggesting that exposure leads to sales. Music and video are two inherently different beasts. Video, by nature, is a more disposable format. In general, it just doesn't have the replayability that music has, so illegal "exposure" is most assuredly degenerating the companies ability to market their products. It's virtually impossible to determine the exact relation that "previewing" has on sales. But there is enough evidence available that strongly suggests it is having a negative, not positive impact. No, fansubs and their ilk aren't the only reason why sales are down, but to state that they're not a huge piece of the pie that is drawing away sales is just as asinine. Exposure doesn't mean anything if you can't make money from it.
Olliff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Has Nguyen been getting tips from former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales? This guy seems to dodge questions better than most politicians.

That being said, I completely understand why Nguyen answered the way that he did. What would be his motivation to answer some of these questions honestly when it would only get him in trouble.

The problem with this interview wasn't that it was unfair. The problem is that interviewer simply expected too much from Nguyen's responses. The interviewer expected him to answer questions that he should have known that he would not get an answer from.

How many of you in Nguyen's position would answer questions in a way that would put you in a possibly legally damaging position. It is the same as asking individuals fansubbers to admit that they are doing something wrong.
FreedomNo1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
FreedomNo1 wrote:
True sales may not be increasing, but I meant that companies must look for alternatives to adapt with the new shifts and changes in technology such as allowing the purchasing of anime with subscriptions or something this could be done on crunchyroll for example where people could pay a monthly subscription for viewing copyrighted videos online and give some of the money to the distrubutors and artists while allowing some benefits for non-members like allowing them to watch unlicensed videos.

Anyways music, anime, and videos of any kind all face the same problems of distrubution so as to your point about exposure not increasing sales well a counterpoint this relates more to music inparticular but invloves the interrelation between common problems facing these industries meaning that it could easily be proven to be true in video and anime industries as well.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071102.WBcyberia20071102184331/WBStory/WBcyberia

anyways was wondering if All Dvd sales have plummeted as you have mentioned then is it not possible that the items were purchased in another way.

You appear to be contradicting yourself by stating that sales are down but are still suggesting that exposure leads to sales. Music and video are two inherently different beasts. Video, by nature, is a more disposable format. In general, it just doesn't have the replayability that music has, so illegal "exposure" is most assuredly degenerating the companies ability to market their products. It's virtually impossible to determine the exact relation that "previewing" has on sales. But there is enough evidence available that strongly suggests it is having a negative, not positive impact. No, fansubs and their ilk aren't the only reason why sales are down, but to state that they're not a huge piece of the pie that is drawing away sales is just as asinine. Exposure doesn't mean anything if you can't make money from it.

Hmm yep looks like I was contradicting was trying to restate my point actually. Thats true its impossible to determine the relation of previewing to sales however stopping the illegal distrubution is virtually impossible due to the vastness of the internet thats why companies have to work with distrubutors Gonzo probally only partnered with crunchyroll for the exposure that they wouldnt have gotten if they went to companies like Media Blasters basically American Companies arent doing a good enough job protecting copyrights forcing companies to taking the initative with illegal distrubutors to promote their own products it's not like Gonzo is unaware of what crunchyroll is doing its more like they dont care because they dont have much choice.

"I've mentioned something like this before, so I'll do it again here. If the anime industry wasn't a bunch of wussies and took these guys out from the start, we wouldn't be having these supposed problems right now.

"It's another glaring example of how their inactivity has further damned them. We got CR (the eBaums version of video hosting sites) making deals with GONZO to distribute anime. We all see what's wrong with this picture, right? The american side of the industry is so bloody incompetent in their jobs that the limping horse that is GONZO is so desperately trying to get people to watch their stuff they're going to ask CR for help.

And there's no way GONZO's that stupid that they don't know what CR is all about. They probably just don't care, they need to get their shows out there so they can feed their kids and pay the bills.

Genco ought to go tell Media Blasters to take a hike, and talk to Dattebayo about how to get people to watch Genshiken. It's probably gotten more exposure on that site (as the show that's not Bleach or Naruto) then it ever would have in the hands of the niche title peddling company that is Media Blasters." From tarrins rant :p

Basically American companies are not doing enough to protect anime and GONZO has to go to the sources the distrubutors of anime like crunchyroll to get help. By getting more exposure to their product their will be more people buying their DVD's and more money for themselves. They know what crunchyroll is doing is wrong but basically dont care and want to meet their daily needs.

http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1703
Some good debates in here as well focuses on fansubs and indirectly the source of videos and include distrubution.
Farla-hime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
I don't quite get how they can quit their jobs to work on the site without drawing a check from the website.

Oronae wrote:
Or, they happen to be four college dropouts who either still live with their parents or have student loan money. Heck, they had jobs until a few months ago is it that hard to believe they were able to live on their savings?

Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Based off his statements, wouldn't they have thrown their savings at keeping the site afloat in the months where the donations trickled in since they were so desperate to keep their site running that they had to beg for donations, after all.

Definitely agreeing with Kyaa on this one. I've been party to a few startups myself and unless you're super-rich to begin with (and on their site "Shinji" pretends to have been a "struggling student" to begin with), you better be making a positive return within 6 months to a year or you're totally screwed (Especially living in the Bay Area--Who do they think they're kidding?!). Furthermore, I don't care if Vu and other Crunchies claim to be the bestest-friends-ever of the fictional site creator "Shinji"--no one, and I mean NO ONE, would quit their job and/or school to work on a site full-time that offers them little to no pay. The long and short of it is that they worked for HotOrNot, they were encouraged to try startups of their own, and they started up and ran the Crunchy site on pirating the hard work of the anime industry and fansubbers to get lots of traffic and sell it for a high return.

Paploo wrote:
[W]ith ToonamiJetstream and AdultSwim both showing anime from VIZ, Bandai, ADV and others[,] also ADV's adsponsored TheAnimeNetwork.com. [...] There are a LOT of viable choices for fans, from websites like those and Bost, to lowpriced DVD boxsets[sited examples in original quote], to television airings. [Fans] have NO legitimate reason to be supporting sites like CrunchyRoll--- you're just getting ripped off kids. Crunchy Roll are ripping off both the industry AND anime fandom, and are NOT worth your time.

This is so true. I only wish the users @ CR would wise up to the whole industry-killing video piracy problem altogether--but we don't live in a dream world so...maybe they could start by wising up to the greedy origins of the site and go visit some other piracy/streaming site that at least is really run by actual unwitting moronic industry-killing fans like themselves. Rolling Eyes
d5t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Anyone familiar with "animePLUS!"? While CrunchyRoll has their share ethical issues, which I'm just hearing wind of, I can recall animePLUS! being one of the first profit driven ideas that takes advantage of fansubs. Where's the heat on these guys? They deserve it much more than CrunchyRoll. Get an interview with these guys and go to town.

Here's the site for reference: http://www.anime-plus.com/index.php
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
^ That all stems back to....*coughs* narutofan *coughs*. Narutofan is the main site. Anime Plus and Manga Plus are just the side parts of that site. A nightmare would be to see narutofan and CR team up. Sad

Even mangaupdates' has their own little notice about narutofan.
rt2x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Why is this company so secretive? We know who the founders of Youtube, Google and Yahoo are. Is it because the founders know they are running an illegal site?

However, information seems to have finally turned up... according to this site, the executive officers are Kun Gao, Vu Nguyen, Brandon Ooi, James Lin, and Sanha Han. Most seem to be graduates of Berkeley who worked at Hotornot.com.
MrVince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I have no issues with the interview, but...

can someone take down that "shinji revealed" post in this thread?

There's a sticky in this forum that asks for no personal attacks, and I would assume since shinji didn't volunteer his picture to the guy who posted t hat pic. There isn't even a guarantee that's shinji.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
rt2x wrote:
Why is this company so secretive? We know who the founders of Youtube, Google and Yahoo are. Is it because the founders know they are running an illegal site?

However, information seems to have finally turned up... according to this site, the executive officers are Kun Gao, Vu Nguyen, Brandon Ooi, James Lin, and Sanha Han. Most seem to be graduates of Berkeley who worked at Hotornot.com.

That's a good find, if just for the 'FYI' aspects. Allows people to put more perspective on overall events. 'Shinji'- anime fan, school drop out, worked in "some internet stuff"........UC Berkeley grad in Computer systems and (presumably) left PhD. program at Carnegie Mellon, former job at lucrative internet start-up. In politics that's called a 'technical'.
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
d5t wrote:
Anyone familiar with "animePLUS!"? While CrunchyRoll has their share ethical issues, which I'm just hearing wind of, I can recall animePLUS! being one of the first profit driven ideas that takes advantage of fansubs. Where's the heat on these guys? They deserve it much more than CrunchyRoll. Get an interview with these guys and go to town.

Here's the site for reference: http://www.anime-plus.com/index.php

Probably because they never received $4 million from a legit company. Nor were they chosen to be one of three streaming video sites to boast two of Gonzo's new shows with English subtitles. Someone should figure out where these people are and call the police on them though, unless they have permission from various licensing houses in North America they're violating various copyright laws.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
tarrin4ever wrote:

And there's no way GONZO's that stupid that they don't know what CR is all about. They probably just don't care, they need to get their shows out there so they can feed their kids and pay the bills.

I had a meeting with GDH's CEO last week. CR came up very briefly while we were discussing other stuff. Their opinion on CR is pretty reasonable, "As long as CR or anyone else wants to go legit, we're happy to help them."

This is the right attitude to have IMHO.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
MrVince wrote:
I have no issues with the interview, but...

can someone take down that "shinji revealed" post in this thread?

There's a sticky in this forum that asks for no personal attacks, and I would assume since shinji didn't volunteer his picture to the guy who posted t hat pic. There isn't even a guarantee that's shinji.

done -t
takashi_am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Here is a more recent October 2008 interview with Vu Nguyen of Crunchyroll from J!-ENT

http://www.j-entonline.com/INTERVIEWS/crunchyroll/crunchyroll.pdf
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15