Forum - View topic
ADV Films [2008-03-23]


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
melonbread



Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 317
Location: UK (London)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
Great report this was. Highly informative.

Got to point out two things that again point to the current problems being very much the fault of the Japanese companies:

First, Dentsu and their stupidity, this quote really makes me sad, because it basically means that through Dentsu's abrupt decision to pull out and leave titles unfinished they have no value:
Quote:
Personally, Williams is beginning to question how much value is left in both the series that Geneon dropped mid-release


Way to ruin the potential of a whole lot of series, Dentsu, just great...

Quote:
Looking at the bigger, industry-wide picture, in Williams' view, both the sheer number of anime DVDs that companies are releasing, and the typical price points will have to decrease. while, as the Japanese anime production and licensing firms become fully aware of American market conditions, licensing prices will begin dropping.


Seriously, what the hell? They're not aware of the problems yet? I think Gonzo is, but they're the only company who are. How stupid do these Japanese businessmen have to be. Self-centered on their own industry to such an extent that they don't realise not caring about worldwide industries will ultimately bring them less money... Also over the past year I'm sure I've read hints or articles that have said the prices of licenses have dropped to such an extent so that the Japanese companies are practically giving them away...

What's going on here?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
melonbread



Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 317
Location: UK (London)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
Oh and I'm dissapointed they won't be pursuing Blu-ray. Utawaremono (however it's spelled) got a Blu-ray release.

To be honest, ADV shouldn't have said they were highly interested in going into HD releases if they actually aren't. iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace... great...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nuaythebest



Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
Oh and I'm dissapointed they won't be pursuing Blu-ray. Utawaremono (however it's spelled) got a Blu-ray release.

To be honest, ADV shouldn't have said they were highly interested in going into HD releases if they actually aren't. iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace... great...


The Utawarerumono BD already include English dub and sub. I doubt that Japanese company will let ADV sell this one in NA because they fear reverse import (FYI Japan and NA use the same BD region)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
nuaythebest wrote:
The Utawarerumono BD already include English dub and sub. I doubt that Japanese company will let ADV sell this one in NA because they fear reverse import (FYI Japan and NA use the same BD region)
Well, we all know the solution to that problem and we all know that it will never change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
melonbread



Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 317
Location: UK (London)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
nuaythebest wrote:
melonbread wrote:
Oh and I'm dissapointed they won't be pursuing Blu-ray. Utawaremono (however it's spelled) got a Blu-ray release.

To be honest, ADV shouldn't have said they were highly interested in going into HD releases if they actually aren't. iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace... great...


The Utawarerumono BD already include English dub and sub. I doubt that Japanese company will let ADV sell this one in NA because they fear reverse import (FYI Japan and NA use the same BD region)


I don't see why. Bandai Visual released the Yukikaze BD boxset soonish after the Japanese release. I know all the ins and outs as to why or why that's the case, and I'm fully aware that Japan and America are the same reason. The Japanese could quite easily just let ADV sell it in America for the exact same price, reverse importation wouldn't be a problem then. If it was going to be cheaper here, the Japanese companies would not let ADV put in a few of the extras to make the American release worse than the Japanese - as they did with Yukikaze taking the figurine out of the box. Razz


Last edited by melonbread on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bluecloud



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
To lower licensing fees is to refuse to pay much money to Japanese creators, you know that?

Keep in mind that you have to pay not only to R1 industry but also to R2 industry when you buy R1 DVDs of "Japanese" animation(or something else).

You're talking about business. That's the way of importing business. You can talk about prices. That's how much you value products.

That's all. Go on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
melonbread



Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 317
Location: UK (London)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
bluecloud wrote:
To lower licensing fees is to refuse to pay much money to Japanese creators, you know that?


The Japanese recoup much of their production costs with their own industry. Anything sold to other countries is just extra. If you're talking about a kind of threshold amount of money that a license should be, then that price was inflated ridiculously during the anime bubble a few years ago, so it's not refusing to pay the Japanese licensors at all, lowering the price is lowering it to what it should have always been.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
The Japanese recoup much of their production costs with their own industry. Anything sold to other countries is just extra.
That runs against everything I ever heard in regards to the R2 industry and the R1 industry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Keonyn
Moderator


Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 5551
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
It's impossible to say without access to the figures from the companies, and that's the bottom line. However, if economics and history have taught us anything, when a market goes global and begins to see regular income from global markets, then their business grows as a result and becomes more dependent on that global market. It's safe to say that after 10 years of regular licensing of their product by the R1 industry that a lot of their growth since then was funded by that and would collapse as a result of its loss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nuaythebest



Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
nuaythebest wrote:
melonbread wrote:
Oh and I'm dissapointed they won't be pursuing Blu-ray. Utawaremono (however it's spelled) got a Blu-ray release.

To be honest, ADV shouldn't have said they were highly interested in going into HD releases if they actually aren't. iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace... great...


The Utawarerumono BD already include English dub and sub. I doubt that Japanese company will let ADV sell this one in NA because they fear reverse import (FYI Japan and NA use the same BD region)


I don't see why. Bandai Visual released the Yukikaze BD boxset soonish after the Japanese release. I know all the ins and outs as to why or why that's the case, and I'm fully aware that Japan and America are the same reason. The Japanese could quite easily just let ADV sell it in America for the exact same price, reverse importation wouldn't be a problem then. If it was going to be cheaper here, the Japanese companies would not let ADV put in a few of the extras to make the American release worse than the Japanese - as they did with Yukikaze taking the figurine out of the box. Razz


In that case, ADV have to pay a license fee for a BD release. The question is how much can they sell it with that high price? The recent incident that BV postponed many of their releases(which use the same price model like R2) might answer this question well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
melonbread



Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 317
Location: UK (London)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
nuaythebest wrote:
melonbread wrote:
nuaythebest wrote:
melonbread wrote:
Oh and I'm dissapointed they won't be pursuing Blu-ray. Utawaremono (however it's spelled) got a Blu-ray release.

To be honest, ADV shouldn't have said they were highly interested in going into HD releases if they actually aren't. iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace... great...


The Utawarerumono BD already include English dub and sub. I doubt that Japanese company will let ADV sell this one in NA because they fear reverse import (FYI Japan and NA use the same BD region)


I don't see why. Bandai Visual released the Yukikaze BD boxset soonish after the Japanese release. I know all the ins and outs as to why or why that's the case, and I'm fully aware that Japan and America are the same reason. The Japanese could quite easily just let ADV sell it in America for the exact same price, reverse importation wouldn't be a problem then. If it was going to be cheaper here, the Japanese companies would not let ADV put in a few of the extras to make the American release worse than the Japanese - as they did with Yukikaze taking the figurine out of the box. Razz


In that case, ADV have to pay a license fee for a BD release. The question is how much can they sell it with that high price? The recent incident that BV postponed many of their releases(which use the same price model like R2) might answer this question well.


They postponed TV series releases that would be in volume increments. Doesn't affect boxsets, and we're talking about boxsets here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dramatis Personae



Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
It's impossible to say without access to the figures from the companies, and that's the bottom line. However, if economics and history have taught us anything, when a market goes global and begins to see regular income from global markets, then their business grows as a result and becomes more dependent on that global market. It's safe to say that after 10 years of regular licensing of their product by the R1 industry that a lot of their growth since then was funded by that and would collapse as a result of its loss.


How dependant are they upon the American market? Furtheremore, is the US considered a "Global" market?" I often see it placed into this context quite a great deal, so I am curious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
melonbread



Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 317
Location: UK (London)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
melonbread wrote:
The Japanese recoup much of their production costs with their own industry. Anything sold to other countries is just extra.
That runs against everything I ever heard in regards to the R2 industry and the R1 industry.


Well it depends on what series you're talking about. If a series has been purely funded by Japanese companies, then they're expecting to get the production costs back from their own market. If a R1 distributor has funded an anime, they're expecting to get money back from the R1 distributor and the Japanese market.

The Japanese market must therefore not be dependent on the R1 market, otherwise there'd be no anime that hasn't been licensed by a R1 company, and that's hardly the case, there are thousands of anime that are solely released in Japan, and will stay like that for a very long time - if not forever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 11532
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
All of this is distracting from what should be the biggest point of that panel: a satisfying explanation for what happened to ADV in February, and why TTGL and Sgt. Frog are still off-schedule. Hopefully that will lessen the heat some fans have been giving ADV for the delays and further reassure the ones that are still antsy.

The comments about the unfinished Geneon series are disturbing, however. I have to think there's still a good amount of fan interest in seeing When They Cry finished, and I'd certainly like to see someone pick up the rest of Story of Saiunkoku.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firecrouch



Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 125

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
All of this is distracting from what should be the biggest point of that panel: a satisfying explanation for what happened to ADV in February, and why TTGL and Sgt. Frog are still off-schedule. Hopefully that will lessen the heat some fans have been giving ADV for the delays and further reassure the ones that are still antsy.

The comments about the unfinished Geneon series are disturbing, however. I have to think there's still a good amount of fan interest in seeing When They Cry finished, and I'd certainly like to see someone pick up the rest of Story of Saiunkoku.


Well I think it really depends on the particular series from Geneon.

Also, while the delay explanation helped, I'm still wondering how every upcoming titles got delayed. He said it has to do with ownership rights transferring, but why is it that all these titles from different companies had the same problem? Does it have to do with how ADV licenses their anime? And is it safe to assume it's had the biggest impact on "Gurren Lagann" and "Sgt. Frog" because those are the most popular ones in the pipeline right now? That's what I want answered.

I'm also interested in why he thinks season boxsets aren't necessarily the best route. And down the line while I have no problem with less DVDs getting released, I hope it also means more anime will eventually get released here through different distribution methods.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group