• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Someday's Dreamers Adapted into New Anime This Summer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Wah! Embarassed Very Happy

This is exciting. I wish there was a picture of Sora though. And too bad Geneon is as good as dead!

Here's hoping someone is brave enough to pick this one up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DekarMaximGuy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
More awesome news.

I've loved everything Someday's Dreamers I have gotten my hands on, so I imagine both the new show and manga will be the same. I figure the manga will likely be picked up, assuming the original's and Spellbound's sales were decent. The anime... Well, I HOPE someone picks it up, but I'm not gonna hold my breath Confused
hara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
This wouldn't be of interest for me if Osamu Kobayashi hadn't been involved.
He's a great director (I really enjoyed BECK, Parakiss and Gurren Lagann Ep. 4 as well as Kemonozume Ep. 7 very much).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, I never thought I'd hear about more Someday's Dreamers anime! Awesome! (Of course, the chances of it being picked up are probably pretty slim. Even if it were, it'd be MB or TRSI doing a sub-only treatment which would suck for me.)

This gives me a little more hope that perhaps there will be an anime adaption of Spellbound at some point. The manga was one of the better romance titles I've read. Funny in places, moving in others. (Though again, who'd take a chance on it other than the moribund Geneon.)

Man I'm a total pessimist right now even with good news. Sad
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Gah, just when my wallet was breathing a sigh of relief at the end of my current R2 order list being in sight, something like this comes along...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I wish it was an anime adaption of Spellbound. Great romantic drama. Loved that series.
Tolone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching someday's dreamers years ago but got bored after a few eps. Does it get better as it goes along?
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Tolone wrote:
I tried watching someday's dreamers years ago but got bored after a few eps. Does it get better as it goes along?

I enjoyed someday's dreamers but if you don't like the first disc you wont like the series. It's tone doesn't change much throughout the show.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
First it was "Dream," then it was "Wave," now we have "Sky." All appropriate names for the Someday's Dreamers universe. It makes me wonder what a fourth young female mage would be named. Very Happy This is a great news item because, for me, I'm finding out that there is a new Someday's Dreamers manga along with an anime that will be based on it! Sweet. It's nice to have new stories to look forward to, in both manga and anime form. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll be brought over to the U.S. At the very least, I hope I'll be able to read the manga version of Sora's story.

I find Someday's Dreamers enjoyable because magic co-exists with a modern, technological, materialistic world. Helping other people, finding a purpose in life, and building up a sense of hope are some of its themes, all centered around this magic. The magic is something traditional, almost spiritually healing, in Someday's Dreamers and is something that can help people connect to their feelings and to other people in ways that even the latest, most advanced technology can never hope to do. It doesn't solve everyone's problems, but it helps. It's a comfort. An eye-opener. A path away from cynicism and pessimism towards what we ignore or refuse to face. Doing that which is difficult instead of that which is easy. It is heart and mind and community and friendship. Characters struggle and keep on struggling because they're able to recognize beauty as much as they recognize pain.

So don't get so lost in the recent bitterness that you forget just how sweet it is that an art form like anime actually came into being in our world. Anime smile
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Is there a lot more story in the manga that wasn't in the original anime?I don't see why they're making another TV series, the first was gorgeous as it was.

I'll still watch this one anyway. I loved the first anime.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
Cicatriz wrote:
Is there a lot more story in the manga that wasn't in the original anime?I don't see why they're making another TV series, the first was gorgeous as it was.
This is a new character and a new story set in the same world. The first anime series covered pretty much everything that's in the first manga series (personally I think it did a better job of it too). In other words, they're making a new series because they have new ideas with new characters.

It'll be more of a spinoff than a sequel. (Though again I wish they'd animate Spellbound too.) You might see a cameo appearance by earlier characters but the story won't center on Yume but on this new girl Sora.

It's kind of like all those CSI spinoffs on TV. They aren't squeals to each other but series taking place in roughly the same reality which might occasionally reference each other or use the same character, but otherwise have little connection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1