• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-03-28]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'm 20 years old and I STILL like Beast Wars. I've been watching that show since I was in first grade. I liked Beast Machines too, but most people seemed to dislike it due to its darker storyline (I like darker). I find Avatar to be a very impressive show. It's much different than anything else I've seen Nickelodeon come out with. Seems not many peope have seen Spawn, but that is one of the few truely dramatic and adult (American) animated series I can think of. It's a very good series.

While I usually find Spongebob to be stupid and corny, it does have its moments. Like the episode where Spongebob and Patrick had to paint Mr. Krabb's house. Funny episode.

Last edited by Veoryn87 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
Good. I'm not the only one who loves Fruits Candy from Cardcaptor Sakura lol.

Also like Ameagari from Angelic Layer and Michishirube from Kashimashi too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDhOOwQzw1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvru93lkb90

Last edited by Calculusman on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Seiitsuno Megami

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
I love American cartoons. D: Admittedly most of the newer shows are craptacular (almost everything Cartoon Network's put out since 2005 makes me want to stab myself), but the next time someone tries to tell me that Naruto or Love Hina is deeper than a few episodes of Courage the Cowardly Dog I'll punch them in the face.

Also, my favorite anime ED ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Seiitsuno Megami wrote:

Well, between the two of us, we just hit both of Angelic Layer's endings in two straight posts.

Good Job! *thumbs up* Cool
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite anime EDs:

Memories, the first ending theme to One Piece (back when the show still had endings). The mood of the song just struck me as fitting quite well. I'd also kind of like to see this reused at the end of the series in a montage of all the crewmembers at that point, but there'll probably be dozens of poorly-made AMVs depicting such by then...
the_ferret

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
The internet doesn't have nearly enough Time and Eric / 12 Oz. Mouse / Squidbillies hating Not nearly enough.

I'm assuming this is sarcastic. I mean, I get that Tim and Eric's so-ironic-it's-not-ironic humor is nearly impossible for serious business anime fans to comprehend, but please read the [adult swim] message boards or their YouTube video comments sometime. The guys get non-stop death threats from Bleach fans, Naruto fans, Family Guy fans, and every other type of internet 15-year-old.

I'm actually pretty surprised the magazine would cover them and anime concurrently. Not angry at all, just surprised. Although I guess I'm proof that there's some miniscule amount of fan crossover.

Anyway, I found the American animation question interesting because I've sort of noticed the same thing as Zack. I was a die-hard Tom & Jerry, Jonny Quest, Ren & Stimpy, etc, fan long before I really got into anime. I still prefer a lot of Bakshi movies to most anime films. So it always seems bizarre to me when someone's exclusively an "anime fan" rather than a "cartoon fan". And that seems to be the case pretty often these days, whereas my other buddies who kept up with early-morning DBZ on UPN knew every other cartoon on American television as well.

Last edited by the_ferret on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Step one: tell her you like animes
Step two: ask her 2 tuch said pen0r
Step three: success

So there I was, having a meeting with our director of west coast operations, wearing an AnimeFest t-shirt (its friday u no) and she said: "Is that t-shirt from one of those anime conventions you go to?"

Having started my friday by reading Hey Answerman!, I knew just just where to take this conversation: "Indeed it is. I like animes, will you touch my pen0r?"

I'm sad to report that it didn't work well at all.

For this to work, is it necessary that the girl like animes too, or does she have to be in my english clazz? How does it work for for my director of west coast operations?

Question
Jen526

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
Oh, man did AnswerFans responses make me feel old. Sad

Toonami? Pokemon? Sailor Moon? Cartoon Network?

Not even one token old-fogey who grew up watching "Battle of the Planets" and "Voltron" on their local UHF station?

Ouch.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Jen526 wrote:
Oh, man did AnswerFans responses make me feel old. Sad

Toonami? Pokemon? Sailor Moon? Cartoon Network?

Not even one token old-fogey who grew up watching "Battle of the Planets" and "Voltron" on their local UHF station?

Ouch.

If it helps, when I first got into anime about 11 years ago, and was watching stuff like Sailor Moon, Evangelion, Nuku Nuku, etc; my brother declared that all anime was stupid, except for one: Star Blazers.
He managed to find a copy of it, and forced me to watch it, and I have to say, I didn't like it. Even now, I still don't have an appreciation for Matsumoto's space operas.

Getting teased about anime was never a big problem for me. The only people who really gave me a hard time was my family, especially my older brothers. Like I said, one declared that all anime was stupid, and used to tease me by saying "Anime-ani-GAY" Another brother once asked me how I would explain my Sailor Moon DVDs to a future boyfriend. Luckily, it was never a problem as my boyfriend likes Sailor Moon too. And my Dad used to always tell me that anime characters all had Michael Jackson's nose.

Concerning the hate for American animation, I was the same way too when I first started watching anime. It was all so interesting, and new, and all the American stuff just didn't seem so special anymore. While my DVD collection is about 90% anime, I do enjoy American animation more now than I used to.
But I have to say, that most of the stuff that we're getting on Canadian TV that came from Cartoon Network is utter crap. The only exceptions are the Venture Bros. and Robot Chicken. None of this Aqua Teen, Tom Goes to the Mayor, Squidbillies, Perfect Hair Forever crap for me thanks. It boggles my mind that someone is getting paid to produce this stuff, and that there are people willing to watch it.
I'd rather have South Park, King of the Hill, pre-season 9 Simpsons, Animaniacs or Bromwell High anyday.
For me, if I want to watch drama, fantasy, sci-fi, romance, etc, I'll watch anime. If I want to have a good laugh, I'll watch American animation. For the most part (there are some exceptions), I find anime comedies to be rather stale and cliched.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
[quote="QuarkLike I said, one declared that all anime was stupid, and used to tease me by saying "Anime-ani-GAY."[/quote]

HAHA! My dad use to call it "ani-gay" to me. He didn't really know what the stuff was. When he thinks cartoons he thinks Rugrats and stuff. Not Paranoia Agent.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and who can forget Gankotsuou's ending?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvYSesVQtw
mselves

Wow I hated that ending. I couldn't think of anything more completely out of touch with the rhythm and flow of the anime than that jarring clunker of a song. It drove me crazy (and scared the crap out of me) every time I failed to hit the FWD button fast enough on my remote. Almost as jarring as the superfluous (IMO) machina that found their way into the series. Hmmmm don't remember those being in the book. lol
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
lostinagoodbook wrote:
Quote:
and who can forget Gankotsuou's ending?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvYSesVQtw
mselves

Wow I hated that ending. I couldn't think of anything more completely out of touch with the rhythm and flow of the anime than that jarring clunker of a song. It drove me crazy (and scared the crap out of me) every time I failed to hit the FWD button fast enough on my remote. Almost as jarring as the superfluous (IMO) machina that found their way into the series. Hmmmm don't remember those being in the book. lol

LOL. I think it's a cool song and the lyrics fit the series very well. GREAT ENDING! *thumbs up* Razz
mirichan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
airing on the french language version of Teletoon, and it's a good deal different from the english dub.

I watched CCS in French (on Teletoon) years ago. Loved it so much that I later acquired all the DVDs (of CCS, not Cardcaptors) and the movies.

CCS is still (and will probably stay forever) my feel-good series. Hard to not feel better after watching a few episodes of it...

(and the atrocious English version shown on English Teletoon should have been thrown into the ocean... that was NOT the same series, at all.)
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
favorite endings. I tend to like endings better than openings for some reason so this will be tough.

Ummm waltz or split by Suenohair are both really awesome and well fitting ending themes for honey and clover. Split still makes me tear up Anime hyper

Also another really beautiful ending theme is 'te wo tsunaide' from jyu oh sei. I don't know how many poeple have seen that series, but that ending is absolutely gorgeous IMO

I like groovy, fruits candy not so much, but yay for ccs Anime hyper!

I also realy liked the ending 'speed' from Naruto, and 'konna ni chikaku de...' from nodame cantabile. Also the first ending theme from Hikaru no go, 'bokura no boken' really had me hooked. I just loved how it felt just right for the series. Eep so many nice ones

I, like alot of girls my age who are into anime got into it through watching Sailor Moon after school when I was 9 or so Anime hyper! I totally loved it. I also watched Astro Boy when it was on too. But I still love the sailor moon dub. The japanese is awesome, but it misses on some of the humor of the dub.

I also loved the domestic cartoons I was exposed to. I feel like I got to grow up with some of the best, like gargoyles, freakazoid, reboot, beasties/beast wars and we cant forget mummies alive Anime hyper! I loved those shows, but I do think cartoons are 98% for kids under 12 in the west and about 75-80% for kids in japan, not that I dont watch most of the kiddy ones like naruto anyway Anime hyper!

Last edited by posterior_praiser on Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prodigiosus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I have any favorite openings. Is that bad? lol.

I got into anime at a very young age (thanks to my sister who is 7 years older than me) The first three anime movies I saw were Akira, Venus Wars, and some movie about these kids who were trapped either in a school or in a town and the whole place was sitting on the back of a turtle that was flying through space. To this day I can still hear that girls voice calling out "darling" every twenty seconds of the movie, but I can't remember the title of it. Oh, and we rented all of these movies from Blockbuster just to show you how long ago it was. I don't know when they stopped carrying the titles.

As for whether or not people give me guff for liking anime so much, yeah get a few jabs here and there from my friends. I just try not to watch it in front of them (less so because they'll make fun, but because they won't shut the hell up while I'm trying to watch it)

And between anime and american cartoons, as long as it's entertaining, I don't care where it comes from or what category it falls into. (And someone in this topic mentioned the cartoon freakazoid.....I LOVED that cartoon!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8