• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bones Studio's Newest Anime Confirmed as Bōnen no Xamdou

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
Looks cool, I am looking forward to it, although I am always a bit sceptical when I read that BONES is handling something.
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
Holy shit! More Bones!!

Hopefully Soul Eater is going to be 50+ episodes, and this will be a large amount of episodes too!

This looks like an original story as well, so I'm sure it's going to be absolutely amazing Smile!

Now just get digital distribution sorted Bones, and release your products on Blu-ray worldwide.
Senna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
I love Bones and all, but ...

Does anyone else look at the picture on Bonen no Xamdou's site and think the girl is about to be molested by the giant robot/strange lifeform/whatever-it-is? Confused It's a bit creepy.
muppsatan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
Senna wrote:
I love Bones and all, but ...

Does anyone else look at the picture on Bonen no Xamdou's site and think the girl is about to be molested by the giant robot/strange lifeform/whatever-it-is? Confused It's a bit creepy.

I had the exact same thought. That sure is a horrible promotional picture unless that is what they are aiming for (molestation)
hara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote
Actually I didn't think of molestation once I saw it. It looks just like she doesn't want to take a flight with that mecha thing Wink
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:50 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
Looks cool, I am looking forward to it, although I am always a bit sceptical when I read that BONES is handling something.

What studio has done better original anime productions in the last 6 years than Bones?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
hara wrote:

What studio has done better original anime productions in the last 6 years than Bones?

That was prob a rhetorical question but I'll bite.

Studio Rikka: Pale Cocoon

CoMix Wave: The Place Promised in Our Early Days, Voices of a Distant Star

Doumu/Aniplex/Studio Hibari: Petite Cossette

GONZO: Getsumen to Heiki Mina

Last edited by hikaru004 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:22 am; edited 2 times in total
hara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:09 am Reply with quote
This is surely a matter of personal taste but I think BONES anime are mostly overrated.

And to answer your question... *g*
How about Studio 4°C, Gainax and Manglobe? They all do quite diversified and creative original productions.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
This is surely a matter of personal taste but I think BONES anime are mostly overrated.

And to answer your question... *g*
How about Studio 4°C, Gainax and Manglobe? They all do quite diversified and creative original productions.

They aren't overrated. I'm expecting Sword of the Stranger to crush some of the titles on my list.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote
This is great. Very Happy I love BONES-original productions! Really looking forward to seeing what this one's about because the picture they have up there sure is strange.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
Like the following shows or not I don't think you can deny that Bones have put out an impressive amount of original anime productions since 2002. RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Kurau Phantom Memory, Eureka Seven, Darker Than Black & Stranger - Mukoh Hadan (first 5 minutes was so good) and we have Bonen no Xamdou set to join that list.

Naming a studio and one title is like replying to the question name a better NBA team in the last 10 years than the Spurs (4 championships) with the Miami Heat (1 championship).
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Like the following shows or not I don't think you can deny that Bones have put out an impressive amount of original anime productions since 2002. RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Kurau Phantom Memory, Eureka Seven, Darker Than Black & Stranger - Mukoh Hadan (first 5 minutes was so good) and we have Bonen no Xamdou set to join that list.

Naming a studio and one title is like replying to the question name a better NBA team in the last 10 years than the Spurs (4 championships) with the Miami Heat (1 championship).

While that is an impressive "amount" as you said, I don't think it does much to correlate to a championship win.

In my experience Bones has excellent production values, designs, animation, music, etc... But their writing is usually pretty awful. I think that is why their original shows have a good deal of otaku appeal but very little main stream bite. They seem to be a visually focused studio, with story lines written mainly for otaku.

The only original Bones show I have seen yet that I thought was especially well scripted was Wolf's Rain, but I think Keiko Nobumoto is in a totally different league than any other writers at Bones.

Granted I haven't finished Darker than Black, and haven't seen Kurau yet, so I may have to adjust my view afterward, but as of now I would say there just haven't been that many great original productions out of the anime industry in general over the last 6 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teuvan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

I know nothing about sports, but I didn't know a team's quality can be measured simply by their number of championships. Fancy that. And if that's the case, I didn't know anime could be measured in terms of "successful/non-successful," to the point where an average anime equals an extremely successful one.
Afax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
Lackshmana wrote:
In my experience Bones has excellent production values, designs, animation, music, etc... But their writing is usually pretty awful. I think that is why their original shows have a good deal of otaku appeal but very little main stream bite. They seem to be a visually focused studio, with story lines written mainly for otaku.

The only original Bones show I have seen yet that I thought was especially well scripted was Wolf's Rain, but I think Keiko Nobumoto is in a totally different league than any other writers at Bones.

I think you are confusing Bones and Sunrise.

If anything Bones stray away from writing anime FOR "otaku and concentrate on more character driven stories with very clear themes and morals. I wouldn't say Rahxephon, Wolf's Rain, Kurau, Eureka Seven, or Ayakashi Ayashi go to any sorts of length to cater to an "otaku" group in any way that isn't completely negligible.

You basically described many other studios (Sunrise, Gainax, and others are guilty of this), except Bones...

Last edited by Afax on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
zetsuie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
yes I know bonen is probably japanese but it still makes me giggle
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3