• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Classical music in anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
I recently rewatched Hunter x Hunter, and one thing that caught my attention which I didn't notice the first time around is that in a few episodes in the beginning of the Auction Arc (around episode 38 or 40), Chopin's 'Heroic' Polonaise plays in the backround for a few minutes. I was pleasantly surprised by this as Chopin is one of my favorite composers. I tried to think of other instances of classical music in anime, but couldn't think of any.

Are there any instances you can think of?
zhir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote
Well, Read or Die obviously has some Beethoven. Legend of the Galactic Heroes uses some classical I believe.
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
Ah, I forgot about Nodame Cantabile. That one obviously has a lot of classical music in it. I might check out Read or Die. I haven't watched it because I thought the premise was weird. Nevertheless, I put it on my 'to watch' list.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:51 am Reply with quote
The only series where I can think of that has a complete score consisting of classical music is Legend of Galactic Heroes, but there are numerous examples of pieces used within a series.

Perhaps the director most known for using pre-existing music is Rintaro. He uses a very famous piece which someone might be able to identify in Harmageddon. He also uses Take the A Train in Take the X Train. He uses a famous piece (Sarte?) in Neo-Tokyo. Not to mention X Japan and Ray Charles, but I suppose they don't qualify as classical.

I was surprised that Karin has a good amount of classical music in it as well. The sports festival of Azumanga Daioh comes to mind as well. Dragon Half also comes to mind, but it's been years since I've seen it.

Lets not forget Ode to Joy which is used in Eva as well as in the end of Gunslinger Girl. I know I've heard this song in at least one other series, but can't think of it right now.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
This topic probably more properly belongs in the Music forum, but since you asked. . .

Probably the most thorough example of classical music used in anime is wonderful magical girl series Princess Tutu, whose entire soundtrack (even the opener!) is composed of classical music and themes from famous ballets. The events in the story sometimes even follow the course of the music as much as the other way around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:21 am Reply with quote
EVA comes to my mind, where Ode To Joy is used (It's used in Gunslinger Girl, too, though that was already mentioned) and the youtube-famous Kanon in D-Dur by Pachelbel.

Even Hellsing OVA 4 used some classical music when that woman (Forgot her name.) sings from the "Freischuetz".
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
Let us not forget Ouran Koukou Host Club, where I'm certain there was a Mozart piece played in the episode where spoiler[Shiro wanted to act like a host to be brave to a girl he likedand was about to go... Or something like that. My memory sucks].

And believe it or not, Ravel's Bolero was used in Digimon 01 and 02. Can't vouch for that in the American English dub, but I did hear it in the Mexican Spanish dub.

Complementing Labbes' comment on EVA, Bach's Air on the G String was used too, but I can't remember where well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote
La Cordo de Oro Primo Passo. The show itself is a take on classical music, and the soundtrack is full of it too. The whole series is interspersed with classicals.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
Ravel's "Mother Goose" makes a brief appearance towards the end of Clannad, as incidental music to Nagisa's play. I suspect though that this was more because the production staff were looking for something that had just come out of copyright rather than any other reason.
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
Complementing Labbes' comment on EVA, Bach's Air on the G String was used too, but I can't remember where well.

It was played in End of Evangelion, when Asuka fights spoiler[the EVA series.]

Edit: "Suiten for Violoncello" (I think it's by Bach, too, but I'm not too sure and I'm too lazy to google it) is used as background music for Death, the recap of the whole EVA series.

Last edited by Labbes on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
Air on the G String

Hahaha
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
Full Metal Alchemist played some Beethoven at the beginning of episode 50. That was a surprise.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
There are several classical pieces that can be heard in Kanon, notably Pachelbel's Canon in D major (duh! Laughing) and Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty Waltz.
noobles
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Kenshin also featured some classical music somewhere in the begining and end of the Kyoto Arc, which is one of my favourite pieces, Cavalleria Rusticana's Intermezzo (which is also used in the opening of Raging Bull).
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
TestamentSaki wrote:
Air on the G String

Hahaha

Laugh at it as much as you want, you cultureless punk, but it's real, it's great, and most of all, it's composed by J.S. Bach. Beat that Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5