• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultenth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
The Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk

This is one of the newest shows from Gonzo, and is the first anime to ever have a simultaneous release online, subtitled in English, at the same time as the show airs live in Japan. Thus far it is currently airing on Bost TV which has both streams and high res downloads available, as well as a stream available on Youtube. Formerly Crunchyroll also had streams and downloads available, but they are currently offline, as per the news report listed below. Information regarding this show and the new model for anime releases has been coming in over the last month or so, included in the many news posts below:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-21/gonzo-works-to-be-streamed-simultaneously-with-airing
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2008-03-20/bost-partners-with-gdh/gonzo-for-simultaneous-worldwide-release-of-new-anime-titles
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-25/bost-to-offer-downloads-without-digital-restrictions
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2008-03-31/gdh-implements-an-open-pricing-model-in-the-online-distribution-of-new-titles
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-04-07/bost-tv-offers-free-1st-episodes-of-druaga-blassreiter
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-04-07/druaga-anime-removed-from-crunchyroll-for-now

Many hope that this is the beginning of a new trend in regards to anime viewing for fans outside of Japan, and the first of many similar releases in this format in seasons to come. Further information regarding the show is below:

Quote:
Drawing its inspiration from the hugely popular 1980s arcade games of the same name, GONZO and a team of today's top creators have joined forces to write a new chapter in the epic Babylonian Castle Saga!
Defeat the demon, save the kingdom - and don't forget those extra lives!

The long awaited "Summer of Anu" has come.
It is a season that comes but once every few years and during which the powers of the monsters within the Tower wane thanks to the grace of the great god Anu.

Each Summer of Anu, the armies of the Uruk Kingdom secure their strongholds within the Tower, aiming to eventually conquer the upper floors.

Decades of re-fortification and battle have passed since the infamous adventures of Gil and Ki. Their story has now become a legend.

Now, finally, the third Summer of Anu has arrived.

The city of Meskia - the first stronghold built on the first level of the Tower - is brimming with unprecedented expectation. In addition to the Uruk Army, preparing for their third campaign against Druaga, innumerable adventurers have been drawn to Meskia by rumors of a legendary treasure believed to be hidden on the top floor of the Tower...

I just finished up watching this show and I have one thing to say: hilarious. I don't know if the rest of the season will be as geared towards comedy, simply because the way this one ended, but the first episode was extremely amusing. Overall the quality was very good, and the subs were fairly well done as well. Very satirical and amusing to me, with lots of jabs at standard RPG cliché’s and other jokes thrown in as well. I personally am loving Gonzo's new approach to anime, in terms of business model. Kudos to them for trying something new, and so far I love the show, can't wait for next weeks episode! Anyone else have a chance to catch it yet, and if so what were your impressions?

Last edited by Ultenth on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
LOL at the spoiler[near tentacle rape scene. I was expecting the guy to be planning something crazy, but he was just waiting to see some action]. I've never seen any other shows based on a mmorpg but after watching Druaga I can't really see how a show like this can be more serious without feeling like a really generic action adventure shounen show. This show's comedy works and shows a lot of promise. So one question of mine remains: will we see the characters only as they are seen in the game or will we see them in the "real" world as well? spoiler[The OP hinted to some romance that will be in this show.]
Facade19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I think the way Gonzo advertised the show itself led to a big surprise to the pilot itself. All this time I thought that the show would be about a big and epic adventure, serious and do the usual things a show of its substance would do. Instead the amount of parody and irony was the very element that I, and am sure many other viewers, did not anticipate. There were quite numerous moments when they (Gonzo) pushed on heroic and romantic themes found in plenty of other animes just to depict an opulence of satire and sarcasm. spoiler[One of the key moments for me had to be the marriage proposals and the senselessness of the protagonist, who turns up to be the anti-hero in the hero. ]
I hope that this was not just a way for Gonzo to introduce the story and turn salient, but actually the entire show will be a mockery (in good spirits) of the amount of clones of animes we have witnessed in the past few years. 2 thumbs up for the first episode! Very Happy
Ultenth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Facade19 wrote:
I think the way Gonzo advertised the show itself led to a big surprise to the pilot itself. All this time I thought that the show would be about a big and epic adventure, serious and do the usual things a show of its substance would do. Instead the amount of parody and irony was the very element that I, and am sure many other viewers, did not anticipate. There were quite numerous moments when they (Gonzo) pushed on heroic and romantic themes found in plenty of other animes just to depict an opulence of satire and sarcasm. spoiler[One of the key moments for me had to be the marriage proposals and the senselessness of the protagonist, who turns up to be the anti-hero in the hero. ]
I hope that this was not just a way for Gonzo to introduce the story and turn salient, but actually the entire show will be a mockery (in good spirits) of the amount of clones of animes we have witnessed in the past few years. 2 thumbs up for the first episode! Very Happy

Yeah, I agree with both comments, I totally wasn't expecting it to be a comedy at all, which is why it took me by such surprised and cracked me up so much. And also, yeah, I definitely hope they continue with the comedy, and don't turn it into just a regular shonen fantasy show or something. spoiler[Simply because it took place in a dream sequence, and not the regular mmo world, nor the real world, is what gives me worries that it won't be funny all the way through. ] I hope my fears are unfounded, cus this looks like it could be a great comedy/fantasy show if they continue with what they started in the first EP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Facade19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
spoiler[Simply because it took place in a dream sequence, and not the regular mmo world, nor the real world, is what gives me worries that it won't be funny all the way through. ] I hope my fears are unfounded, cus this looks like it could be a great comedy/fantasy show if they continue with what they started in the first EP.

This what I am very worry about too. Not very in sense that my life will be ruined, but for the sake of the show itself. Tower of D. first episode, to me at least, acknowledges itself not to be more than an anime, a show, meant to entertain. There are a few animes out there that to me successfully can push the themes and material explored in the show to the circumstances people experience in real life. However there a hordes of animes that do not successfully do so and yet try, which ultimately leads to mega failure. There are also shows that have a bigger than life feel to them, which I, as of now, do not like. The whimsical attitude and capricious content of the first episode was just so encouraging that I want the Tower of D. to remain a satire instead of a salient oriented show. I hope I made myself clear, since I am unable to do so otherwise. Smile
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay Gonzo you fooled me and everyone else pretty good with Druga. Promos made us think this was going to be an epic adventure but we get a hilarious comedy instead. Shoji Gatoh the author of the FMP novels is doing Series Composition and Screenplay for this so I'm sure this series will stay funny :D
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Hm, well I might watch this show after all if everyone's leaning so positively toward it. At first I was unsure (it being GONZO and all). But I still have to check out Allison & Lillia and Macross F from yesterday! Shocked

Edit: Oh snap, that was random.

Just watched it (my, how convenient Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop ), and I hope the rest of the series keeps up the comedy act. It was a nice surprise, especially at the end spoiler[when we realized that the entire episode was basically Jil's dream.]

My favorite character so far, from what we've seen, is spoiler[Innkeeper (54, single).] Razz

Last edited by Aromatic Grass on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Okay Gonzo you fooled me and everyone else pretty good with Druga. Promos made us think this was going to be an epic adventure but we get a hilarious comedy instead. Shoji Gatoh the author of the FMP novels is doing Series Composition and Screenplay for this so I'm sure this series will stay funny Very Happy

I guess for Gonzo's case, it REALLY depends on who's on the staff. With Koichi Chigira as director (who did a great job with Last Exile) and Shoji Gatoh who we know has a great sense of humor, this series might get a bit more attention in terms of quality. Even though I'll remain cautiously optimistic, Gonzo has pulled a few solid series for every mediocre and dreadfully crappy series they made.

As for this episode, the moments I considered absolute LOL:

spoiler[- Tentacle rape of that girl mage with the guys just staring at her!

- Blatent death flags.

- "Dark Knight....."
"IT'S BLACK KNIGHT!"
"Ok, Dark Knight...."

- And in the end, it was all a dream. ]

Let's see how this series will progress. And it feels kind of funny that we're talking about the episode already broadcasted in Japan that has legit English subs. I really hope more companies will follow this suit in the near future.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Let's see how this series will progress. And it feels kind of funny that we're talking about the episode already broadcasted in Japan that has legit English subs. I really hope more companies will follow this suit in the near future.

Totally agree, I seriously had a "glee" moment when I first started watching it, especially after the first few moments of goofyness made me realize it might actually be a decent show. First moment where I really laughed and thought the show could turn out good?
spoiler[
Neeba: Hold it, Jil. I still haven't accepted you as the hero yet.
Jil: Neeba...?
Neeba: If you want to be leader, then face me!
Jil: No!
Neeba: Why not?!
Jil: I don't want to fight you. If you absolutely must fight me...then you'll have to defeat me first!
Neeba: Which is it?!
Jil: Bring it on!]
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
There is some other subtle stuff going on too, for one thing there seems to be a classic 5 man band(look it up on tvtropes.org if you don't know what I mean) thing going on. I liked the death flags a good bit. Also the TTGL parody was pretty good.

My only gripe at this point is that the action sequences aren't great, they seem to suffer a bit from low frame rates, that said spoiler[it was a dream sequence] so it's hard to know

Last edited by DonQuigleone on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ultenth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Don, spoiler tags! spoiler[You're not supposed to know it's a dream sequence, that's a spoiler!]

And yeah, I loved the TTGL stuff too.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I guess for Gonzo's case, it REALLY depends on who's on the staff. With Koichi Chigira as director (who did a great job with Last Exile) and Shoji Gatoh who we know has a great sense of humor, this series might get a bit more attention in terms of quality. Even though I'll remain cautiously optimistic, Gonzo has pulled a few solid series for every mediocre and dreadfully crappy series they made.

I really didn't expect much from this until I saw Gatoh's name attached to Druga. I love FMP to death and my 3 favorite Lucky Star episodes (5, 12 & 22) were written by him too. I have faith he will keep it amusing enough to continue watching.
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm just speculating here, but I'll use spoiler tags anyway. spoiler[Did anyone else get the feeling from the opening that the world the story takes place in so far might just be a game that the characters are playing? A lot of the scenes in it look like they don't take place in the fantasy world they've shown so far.]
Ultenth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Cetus-kun wrote:
I'm just speculating here, but I'll use spoiler tags anyway. spoiler[Did anyone else get the feeling from the opening that the world the story takes place in so far might just be a game that the characters are playing? A lot of the scenes in it look like they don't take place in the fantasy world they've shown so far.]

Yes, it's quite obvious just from the OP alone, so for that personally I don't believe spoiler tags are needed.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
At first I was unsure (it being GONZO and all).

Funny thing for a Last Exile fan to say. Wink

---

I just watched it and was deeply underwhelmed. It wasn't awful or anything but it did come across as a poor man's Rune Soldier. And, given that Rune Soldier was no great masterpiece itself...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5