• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kurau: Phantom Memory DVD 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
Oh man! None of the stores I buy from have gotten vol 6 yet. The end of vol 5 left me with a shocked and saddened feeling and I've been dying to get this last volume. Actually all of the ADV titles that were delayed are only trickling in. I guess I need to be more patient.

I only skimmed the review to avoid spoilers, but I'm glad to know that the show stays great to the end.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
I too skimmed it to not give away possible spoilers but I must say I was happy to read that the conclusion does bring closure to Kurau and Christmas's story. I have to agree this truly was one of the best shows of '07 and the emotion and depth behind the characters and their struggle is what really set the series apart. As much as I enjoyed recent shows that were awesome in terms of plot/story, like Count of Monte Cristo or D'eon for example, I must say this series stood out from the rest. I suppose part of it may be because at heart I'm a science fiction junkie and beyond the truly awesome story the science fiction element made it even better for me. I also simply found Kurau and Christmas's bond to be one of the most genuine and heart felt in recent years from an anime series/movie. I'm finishing up volume 5 now and I can't wait to get volume 6 and finish the series. I'm going to make sure I watch it on one of my day's off so I can relax and take my time and enjoy it fully.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
I loved this series from start to finish. It had so many elements that I love about the earlier Bones series like Wolf's Rain and RahXephon. Like these shows it feels like a self contained story with no room for sequels in this era of huge franchises and never ending series.

This show was very close to being my favorite release on my top 50 from 2007 and was barely edged out by Beck. Now that I have seen the final DVDs for both series the decision on which one I like better is still a tough one but I'm tempted to say that Kurau will stick around with me for a longer time.

There is an elegance to Kurau that I rarely see in anime. Although I like Beck it does come across as a series that is primarily targeted towards adolescences and young adults while I would not hesitate to show Kurau to my roommates (who are all still in their 20s and wonder why I who am a good decade older follow so many shows aimed towards teens). I actually watched Wolf's Rain with one of my roommates (along with Planetes) who enjoyed it and Kurau might be the perfect follow up series.

The main person in charge of the writing Aya Yoshinaga was the main person in charge of writing on both Crest of the Stars, and Witch Hunter Robin which share some of the same atmosphere as Kurau. This one gets my highest recommendations.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:22 am Reply with quote
Sorry to bump this thread but:

I finally found volume 6 at my local Fry's this weekend and watched it earlier today. I guess the supply line from ADV is still not back up to 100% yet.

It was a truly great ending to one of my top favorite releases of 2007. Everything was tied up in the end. I can't say that the ending was perfect because, well what is a perfect ending anyway? I can't think of a better ending, that's for sure.

I was shocked and a little saddened to see how few ratings are posted for this show. I'm number 320 as of right now. More people need to see this show. One problem is the scenes shown during the OP can give people the wrong idea what with showing Kurau and Christmas dressed in pretty outfits and big summer hats. I guess word of mouth is the best way to advertise. So....

To anyone looking for a well-made action/drama that takes place in the future and is extremely moving on several occasions: You can't go wrong with Kurau: Phantom Memory. Buy it today! Smile

EDIT: I just checked again, and Kurau has been "seen" by 660 users which is twice as good as I thought, but still way to low for a show of this caliber.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
I was shocked and a little saddened to see how few ratings are posted for this show. I'm number 320 as of right now. More people need to see this show. One problem is the scenes shown during the OP can give people the wrong idea what with showing Kurau and Christmas dressed in pretty outfits and big summer hats. I guess word of mouth is the best way to advertise.

It's not that ADV hasn't been trying. Have you seen the preview for the series? It's pretty much every action sequence from the first volume and plays up Kurau's secret agent-like job and her being on the run. Relevant, yes, but highly misleading.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1