• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeOnDVD Sold to Mania.com Entertainment Community

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
And I have never forgiven them for what they did to the manhwa "Phantasy Degree". Okay, admittedly PhD isn't exactly the best thing since sliced bread. But after seeming to mostly enjoy the first volume, they gave it a D- overall and refused to review volumes 2 and up purely because TokyoPop changed the title (from "Demon School Olympus") and the characters' names.

Just so you know, TOKYOPOP only sends out first volume to review sites so that's why there's rarely anything beyond those volumes since the reviewers would have to pick up the books out of pocket from there on. Other companies handle it different; Go! Comi and Seven Seas tend to send everything as does Digital Manga Publishing. Viz is all over the map with it and Media Blasters' imprints rarely send anything at all. Yen Press and Del Rey are good about sending everything as well. It's just the two big companies that don't really do much with it.

Beyond that, well, I have a hard time apologizing for reviewers who have a bias. Or opinion. I try to avoid putting people on titles they don't like. At the same time, make sure you're not confusing forum posters preferences and ideas with the site staff as well. That's a common issue across many sites.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I used to like that site, but now there are too many titles with only " This title has not yet been reviewed." written on them.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was a little surprised yestereday to see the news on AoD. With all the site sponsors but TRSI being dropped and the increasing non-anime (and sometimes really annoying) ads, I was worried what would happen to AoD. So I was pleased to see that Chris solved the problem. Chris and the rest of the staff will all still be there, so I'm not worried about Mania futzing things up.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
As long as Chris keeps up his reviews since they are the ones that match up closest to mine. This topped with the fact that his collection is huge and he will review pretty much anything that is released keeps me glued to his posts.

One of the reasons why I frequent animeondvd is that they seem to have strong ties with the industry with RACS and TRSI having forums located there. They also seem to have more traffic from voice actors and other people in the industry on their boards. I wonder how or if this will change in the next few months.
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
One of the reasons why I frequent animeondvd is that they seem to have strong ties with the industry with RACS and TRSI having forums located there. They also seem to have more traffic from voice actors and other people in the industry on their boards. I wonder how or if this will change in the next few months.

I don't think it'll change that much, based on what Chris B. and the mods there mentioned. There will probably be some minor changes, but I don't believe there will be anything drastic save from the switch to the vBulletin software. The VAs and industry reps are still going to post there from time to time, and the TRSI forum is still there (although I wasn't aware that there was one for RACS).

Anyway I mentioned it on the AoD forum and it's worth repeating here - I wish Chris and the AoD staff the best of luck in their new partnership with Mania.com, and hope that the transition is a smooth one for both parties.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
Oops, I meant to say the official Del Ray manga forum.
portgas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:

And I have never forgiven them for what they did to the manhwa "Phantasy Degree". Okay, admittedly PhD isn't exactly the best thing since sliced bread. But after seeming to mostly enjoy the first volume, they gave it a D-...

Maybe I have the wrong PhD, but here are the ratings for PhD #1 taken right from the site -

Content: B Art: B+ Packaging: B Text/Translation: B/F

Looks like the "phantasy" is in more than in the title.

I read AoD reviews pretty regularly and it's rare that you see a "D", that's why I looked this up.

But maybe I have the wrong PhD.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
portgas wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:

And I have never forgiven them for what they did to the manhwa "Phantasy Degree". Okay, admittedly PhD isn't exactly the best thing since sliced bread. But after seeming to mostly enjoy the first volume, they gave it a D-...

Maybe I have the wrong PhD, but here are the ratings for PhD #1 taken right from the site -

Content: B Art: B+ Packaging: B Text/Translation: B/F

0_o;;;; Huh. Guess I was wrong. Sorry, it was awhile ago, I must have conflated it with something else. Maybe it was I'm Gonna Be An Angel that they gave a D-... everyone seems to hate that for no reason I can discern. But anyway, the main reason I was pissed is true- the guy gives it an "F" on translation while admitting that "I don’t have the original text or know Korean to compare"- in other words, he leaps to a conclusion he can't back up seriously and blasts them for it. I'm not of the opinion that a reviewer should know the original inside-out, but if you're going to slam the translator so seriously, at least take a minute to dig up some evidence. If for no other reason, if you've got it wrong you could be accused of libel. And I still think it's a low blow in any case to slap them like that when it was their own honesty that led him to draw the conclusion. That's just a dickhead maneuver.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, AOD is my home in the net for over 8 years, the forms are a blast and Chris B reviews are usually on target, even if I won't own an Uber HD TV for a long while...

If the site remains as is, I should have no problem continuing my long relationship with the site Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, I was surprised as well to hear that AoD had been sold. However, looking back at what had been going on the month or so proceeding the sale - the disappearance of site sponsors, banners, and the vBullentin switch others have mentioned - it makes sense. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 Wink. Anyways, with Chris and his staff still in place, I trust that AoD will continue to be useful, if not better.
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
I used to like that site, but now there are too many titles with only " This title has not yet been reviewed." written on them.

AoD does reviews?

Just kidding, but I never go there for reviews, just news and the message board. There's an older crowd there than what you'll find most other places, which appeals to this older person. Reviews, after all, are just someone's opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. So basically I find them completely useless. Of course, I'd give an automatic F to any title that changed character names and titles and employed other basic edits that should have been left behind ten years ago, but that's just me. I like reviewers who call out companies for pulling that kind of stupidity and have no respect for the fans who happily put up with it...

Hopefully AoD won't see too many drastic changes. I'd hate for the #1 anime site out there (for me) to become someplace I never bother to visit.
zhir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
mrsatan wrote:

AoD does reviews?

Just kidding, but I never go there for reviews, just news and the message board. There's an older crowd there than what you'll find most other places, which appeals to this older person. Reviews, after all, are just someone's opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. So basically I find them completely useless. Of course, I'd give an automatic F to any title that changed character names and titles and employed other basic edits that should have been left behind ten years ago, but that's just me. I like reviewers who call out companies for pulling that kind of stupidity and have no respect for the fans who happily put up with it...

Hopefully AoD won't see too many drastic changes. I'd hate for the #1 anime site out there (for me) to become someplace I never bother to visit.

The reviews at AoD are different though, in that they review video, audio, extras and packaging as major features. I don't know if many people even read the content portion of their reviews.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
With the N. American anime industry contracting the last few years, there's not enough sponsor money to support AoD. Same thing happened with Newtype USA, which had to broaden to become PiQ.

I still remember before AoD started, when Beveridge was just soliciting interest for it. Hope it works out because I also remember when the Anime Web Turnpike used to be THE anime destination, and look what happened after Jei Harvey sold then left it. Things change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2