• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Itazura na Kiss.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Itazura na Kiss

So .... I just finished watching the first episode. The series is based upon a 90s shojo manga, and having not read any of the source material I wasn't quite sure what to expect going in. I must say, I really enjoyed it. Quite a bit too, I must add. Anime smile The series reminds me a little of School Rumble, but ItaKiss isn't even remotely as over-the-top with its comedic antics. That said, the humor in the first episode was quite good with a nice bits of drama here and there.

The series really got off to a good start with the first scene (albiet the first one after the OP). It made me laugh, and had to watch it a couple of times. I really enjoyed the scene much later where spoiler[Kotoko was mis-reading the kanji] as well and Kinnosuke is easily my favorite character so far. Yuuki reminds me of Hiro Sohma from Fruits Basket, if only a little.

The animation so far isn't anything particularly special, but the artistry, while not stellar either, is worth elaborating on somewhat. I really like the character designs, and the color scheme is very warm and easy on the eyes. It reminds of the art scheme used in Honey and Clover, just not quite as refined.

I'm digging the OP and ED and the musical scoring in the episode was decent, but the best part, though, was the voice work. It's evident that the actors are having fun with their respective characters and the funny script.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series. It has to potential to be one of my favorites this season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I just finished watching the first episode. The series is based upon a 90s shojo manga, and having not read any of the source material I wasn't quite sure what to expect going in. I must say, I really enjoyed it. Quite a bit too, I must add. Anime smile

I felt the same way! Haven't read the manga, but enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. At first, I wasn't sure about watching it because few shoujo really attract my attention, but by the end of the episode I was so intrigued by the characters and the awkward set-up and was wanting to see more. I think the show has a really good story to work with (it may not be original at the moment, but for the 90s...); plus, there was plenty of well-placed comedy.

The animation and art I though were very good for the show -- it isn't trying to be the next greatest thing. The theme songs were kinda average, imo. But those aren't really important when considering the show.

I agree that it has great potential. I really look forward to the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:39 am Reply with quote
I too, have started it, and I too, have enjoyed it. Greatly. Very Happy

But, is it strange that I don't really like the colors used? It seemed a little bit too washed-out for my taste. Or maybe I've been spoiled by watching too much bright and shiny stuff lately? Confused

Aside from that, I have no other complaints: I could complain about the character designs for looking too much like a '90s shoujo manga... But it actually IS a '90s shoujo manga. I could also complain about the cliche of spoiler[the leads ending up living in the same house...] But, as Ko-chan noted, the source material was probably quite original when it was new. So, to complain about those things is a little bit pointless. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop If anything at all, it's a really good chance to watch a shoujo anime in the classic mold (the kind of which hardly get written or produced these days) in a kind of genre-nostalgia.

Either way, this has long been on my to-watch list for this season, and the first episode just supports that commitment of mine. As long as Kotoko doesn't fall apart as a character, and the show keeps up the comedy, I foresee that I'm gonna end up loving this it... And that I'll stick with it to the end, even if it stretches to ridiculous lengths (Since the source material was left hanging at 23 volumes... Which is a lot. This show could just go on and on.).
Courbet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote
""Aside from that, I have no other complaints: I could complain about the character designs for looking too much like a '90s shoujo manga... ""

Haha yeh that is what I wanted to mention, however once you get over the 'dated' looks of the characters, it ceases to be a problem and I really enjoyed the first episode - and actually I much prefer the character designs to those over the top manneristic styles such as in XXX Holic - couldnt watch that series because the characters just looked wrong.

Anyway really looking forward to the next episode. As an aside, it seems to me they have made some life action of Itazura, because on Veoh there are quite a few such episodes coming up as well when you search for it...
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote
Cursed this stupid things called school work.

Wow everyone enjoyed the first episode, I'm quite jealous I've been waiting for this ever since this is the only series from the new lineup I am anxious to see. But I can't watch it until Thursday cause I gotta be ready for my school presentation.

Anyway, I agree about the art, especially the character designs. I'm just glad the designs weren't the same as the manga. Not to be rude or anything, but the character designs in the manga were hideous. They have weird noses and faces. Anyway I've read the first chapter and it's really funny. I hope I can watch it soon, judging from everyone's comment it sounds fun and have a potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
ANN article wrote:
The producers of the anime adaptation call the original manga "the bible of romance" for its influence on later manga such as Marmalade Boy and Fruits Basket.

Yes, it's going to seem less than original, perhaps even cliche viewing it today, but that's not just because it's older but rather because it was a fairly influential shoujo manga in its day. I wish I could read the manga as well. I love the older stuff. Plus, I think the manga art looks kind of nifty-funky.

As for the character designs...I guess I just watch too much older shoujo (just finished Here Is Greenwood, in the middle of Kodocha), because they don't look dated to me at all. The characters look a little to similar to Aishiteruze Baby designs to me (a series I really didn't like), but certainly not like the style portrayed in the manga, or a true early 90s show with really bad fashion choices. Anyone else remember the pink overalls from Sailor Moon?

I also rather liked the muted colors, although during flashback moments they looked a little too blurred for my taste.

As for the story, it's cute. I can't say I just think it looks like it's going to be completely spectacular, and it's not good enough for me to make my husband sit down and watch it tonight (which I did with Ouran High School Host Club), but I think it will be plenty enjoyable. Mizuki Nana's putting forth a fairly solid performance as Kotoko, and with the few worlds he's actually spoken, Hirakawa's doing well with Naoki as well.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
Story wise, I agree, Itazura na Kiss might have influenced the later manga.

I agree with about the story, it looks promising and it's quite charming as well. I like the concept of geniuses love last section person etc.......
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
The characters look a little to similar to Aishiteruze Baby designs to me (a series I really didn't like), but certainly not like the style portrayed in the manga, or a true early 90s show with really bad fashion choices. Anyone else remember the pink overalls from Sailor Moon?

Gaaaah! I remember them, even though I've only seen bits and pieces of that show. Well, as with most old fashion, it MUST HAVE looked cool at the time.

On the resemblance to Aishiteruze Baby chara designs: well, they have the same production studio (TMS Entertainment/Tokyo Movie), so that should account for half the similarity.

About the manga's influence on the genre, that's actually another part of the reason why I'm watching it: it's the "OMG, I've seen this somewhere else before" effect that watching older anime will give you. Only it's a brand-new anime, with better animation and fashion choices than the REAL old stuff. Laughing
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
I just finished watching the first episode. The series is based upon a 90s shojo manga, and having not read any of the source material I wasn't quite sure what to expect going in. I must say, I really enjoyed it. Quite a bit too, I must add. Anime smile

I felt the same way! Haven't read the manga, but enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. At first, I wasn't sure about watching it because few shoujo really attract my attention, but by the end of the episode I was so intrigued by the characters and the awkward set-up and was wanting to see more. I think the show has a really good story to work with (it may not be original at the moment, but for the 90s...); plus, there was plenty of well-placed comedy.

Yeah, I decided to check out this series on a whim, and I'm so glad that I did. The characters really drew me in as well, and I'm intrigued to see how the odd premise plays out. It doesn't feel original, yes, but it did come before many other shojo series that I love (i.e. Fruits Basket). This series is shaping up to be a fun watch.

EDIT:
ItaKiss got a good review in the Spring 2008 Preview Guide. That makes me happy. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
law240

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Awesome people who enjoy good anime Anime smile i really like the first granted me and bro have been doing the Spring anime review thing ourselves. We weren't really looking forward to this one. But after the episode was done, we had a complete turn around and it looking good so far Anime smile
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Lovely first episode, I enjoyed it so much!

Somehow Kin-chan reminds me of Kuwabara (Yu Yu Hakusho).

Now I see what mylene is talking about, yeah Itazura na Kiss might have influenced some of the other shoujo, with the story, set-up of events (twist and turns) and of course character personalities.

Awesome first episode, can't wait to see how the story goes. Charming main girl.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
Somehow Kin-chan reminds me of Kuwabara (Yu Yu Hakusho).

You're not alone in that. I thought of Kuwabara too when Kin-chan first appeared. That's probably why Kin is my favorite character thus far. Anime smile
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
You're not alone in that. I thought of Kuwabara too when Kin-chan first appeared. That's probably why Kin is my favorite character thus far. Anime smile

Maybe because of his personality, hair, facial structure and expressions. He is loud as well.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
Maybe because of his personality, hair, facial structure and expressions. He is loud as well.

Exactly. Except he doesn't seem to be quite as eager as Kuwabara to beat someone to a pulp (unless it somehow involves Kotoko, of course).
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Exactly. Except he doesn't seem to be quite as eager as Kuwabara to beat someone to a pulp (unless it somehow involves Kotoko, of course).
Yup I agree with that.

Well I've been thinking about the second episode Kotoko said she will study hard to beat Naoki, hmmm.... sounds very familiar plot, S.A maybe?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10