• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Itazura na Kiss.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I love Kin-chan, too! Anime smile Certainly more than Naoki at the moment... ¬¬
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
Well I've been thinking about the second episode Kotoko said she will study hard to beat Naoki, hmmm.... sounds very familiar plot, S.A maybe?

Reminds me of Kare Kano as well.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Aw, I love Kin-chan, too! Anime smile Certainly more than Naoki at the moment... ¬¬

Maybe we should start a Kin-chan fan club? Cool

Naoki though .... *clenches fist* That bastard. I seriously wanted to wring his neck after watching the episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen Kare Kano.

@Jedi General: Hahahaha LoL! (referring to Naoki's reaction).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
The motivations in KareKano were completely different though. Yukino did it out of rivalry, Kotoko does it to be worthy of him.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
I've never seen Kare Kano.

Ah. Well, if you do eventually watch the show you'll see what I mean. It is a fact that the motivations in the two series are completely different like Zoe said, but I couldn't help but think of Kare Kano regardless. The basic concepts are pretty much the same if you strip away the differences in motivation. Both Yukino and Kotoko want attention, albiet in different fashions.

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
If I happen to see this series I will check it out. Although some of the review I've read said that the last part of the series isn't that good or something. Is this series have lots of arc?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
To put it plainly: The ending of the Kare Kano anime is [very] incomplete and both the animation and storytelling quality take quite a dip in the later episodes. I'd recommend the manga honestly, although the anime is still worth seeing. At least in the early going.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh so there is a manga of Kare Kano. Funny, now that I remember, everytime I see Kare Kano's title on scanlation site or bookstore I always thought of Saikano hahahah and I've never seen this anime or read the manga.

So it's incomplete? I hate it when they adapt manga for animation that sometimes the ending would suck cause the manga isn't finish yet.

Thanks for the info.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
So, I watched episode two already because I've been reading the manga, and since the anime has been very faithful so far, it didn't take much to understand what was being said. But after reading the manga, I completely <3 Naoki! Though I'm not a huge shoujo fan, I'm always a sucker for stories like this one. Embarassed

I'm only worried how they plan on fitting a 23-volume incomplete story into 26 episodes.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Only 26 episodes?

Well, I see that as a good thing. That way they can come up with a proper ending.

spoiler[Hopefully they end it with the end of high school. I don't like the way things played out after volume 10.]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Well, I see that as a good thing. That way they can come up with a proper ending.

spoiler[Hopefully they end it with the end of high school. I don't like the way things played out after volume 10.]

True. Right now it looks like they're doing one chapter per episode. At that rate, spoiler[I'm not sure if it would end with their graduating from high school, but maybe at some point in college. Perhaps when they spoiler[get married?] ...Unless the first part of the series is dragged out in some way.]
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed episode 2 a bit more than I enjoyed the first episode. While it's nothing I haven't seen before, I like to think of it from the perspective of it being fresh and being what was imitated (as is the case, of course). That makes it a bit more fun for me.

I really love Naoki's mother. She's so bizarrely obsessive, and very cute while she's at it. I love that she was the photographer in the first episode, and her camera habits now. Particularly all those pictures of little Naoki...

In the end, I think I just like the atmosphere of the show. It's light and fluffy, but it feels good all the same.

Oh, and I really loved the spoiler["Thank you." "Good luck." scene, not to mention him holding the train door for her.] I can be such a sucker for those types of scenes sometimes.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Episode two won me over for this series, which I wasn't too sure of because it's a story I've seen done before and didn't overly care for much then (though knowing that this was an influence on those stories makes it better, because I think you have to respect something that started the cliche, even if by doing so it made itself into a cliche...sort of like Anne Rice and vampire stories).

I really am liking the dynamic between Kotoko and Irie. Especially how she spoiler[blackmailed him into tutoring her]. I also am glad that she only spoiler[made 50th in the school, though part of me was hoping she wouldn't be on the list at all because it just seems a bit too easy].

My only real complaint so far is how Kotoko is spoiler[in love with Irie even though he has only shown a bit of kindness. I liked it much better when she just had a crush on him because he was attractive and because she admired how smart he is]. As I mentioned in the thread about the Spring Season reviews, this is an issue I have with a lot of shoujo, since it gets done a lot.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote
Ha, hahaha. Naoki's mother rocks. Camera addict, borderline paparazzo. I love how Naoki's mother always uses a different camera per scene. THAT's dedication. Laughing But then, I've always usually liked shoujo anime parents, since they usually have some out-there character trait that makes them fun to watch.

marie-antoinette wrote:
My only real complaint so far is how Kotoko isspoiler[ in love with Irie even though he has only shown a bit of kindness. I liked it much better when she just had a crush on him because he was attractive and because she admired how smart he is]. As I mentioned in the thread about the Spring Season reviews, this is an issue I have with a lot of shoujo, since it gets done a lot.

I used to have that same issue, until I realized that I fall in love (or get obsessed) in much the same way as shoujo leads do. Lacking the moral high ground, I am now reduced to a whimper whenever this issue crops up. Laughing

Actually, my biggest pet peeve in shoujo is what comes after: okay, you fell in love, that's fine. But why do you cry over it far too easily? To illustrate: in this episode's final scenes, spoiler[we see Naoki tear down the poster and say nasty things to Kotoko. Her reaction (to cry) seems to be a degree too heavy, especially considering that Naoki simply went back to his default "don't get in the way of my life", something that Kotoko should have been aware of.] It may encourage the viewer to sympathize with the character but it may spoiler[cheapen the emotional impact that crying could have, if they didn't do it in just the second episode and instead stretched it out a little bit more.] I still keep on watching shoujo, though. Laughing

On a happier note, I'd say that the songs have grown on me a bit. The OP feels like Suneohair-lite, and the ED is nice and breezy (little bit too happy for the second episode's ending scenes, but it's not as bad a case of mood whiplash as, say Kanon 2006's ED).
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
I used to have that same issue, until I realized that I fall in love (or get obsessed) in much the same way as shoujo leads do. Lacking the moral high ground, I am now reduced to a whimper whenever this issue crops up. Laughing

That behaviour isn't really the problem, it's the fact that it's presented as being "love" when I think it's not. I guess the main problem is that I don't believe in love at first sight because I don't think you can really love someone until you actually KNOW them a bit. And right now, Kotoko is only beginning to get to know Irie, hence by my logic she cannot "love" him, not really.

However, this could be redeemed later on in the series. I've only seen it done once, however, in spoiler[Ayashi no Ceres], where the main character realizes that know that she knows her love interest she really is in love with him, and earlier she just had a crush and thought she was in love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10