• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Itazura na Kiss.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched anything new since last week just yet, but I'll say that I'm not really a fan of spoiler[Kotoko joining the tennis team. While I like her for her enthusiasm, I absolutely hate that she keeps putting herself in these situations where she can't seem to improve at basic skills. Cooking isn't *that* hard and neither is tennis, and even if it is, normal people can improve over time if they work hard.] This is really my only problem with Kotoko. It's her own fault she gets put into these situations. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, they do say love is blind... By that reckoning, Kotoko must be due a pair of bifocals by now Wink
Jen526

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
I'm really angry after this episode. I just gotten to a point where I felt I could tolerate some of the idiocy as long as they made Naoki feel like a bit of a human being, but that's gone now. Dangling the carrot in front of Kotoko, humiliating her then taking advantage of her feelings just makes me shudder.

I find it interesting that your focus (and quite a few other peoples') seems to be so much on Naoki's poor treatment of Kotoko. He's bad, yeah, but for me, the real turn-off has been Kotoko's stupidity. I find it really hard to have any respect for a main character who can take a spoiler[spiteful, "try to forget *THIS*, baby" kiss] like the one in ep. 7 and somehow twist it around into further confirmation that she has a chance in hell of winning this guy's heart. That, combined with the way she was acting in ep. 8, is starting to make this show feel more like "Naoki and the delusional stalker girl" to me.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Jen526 wrote:

I find it interesting that your focus (and quite a few other peoples') seems to be so much on Naoki's poor treatment of Kotoko. He's bad, yeah, but for me, the real turn-off has been Kotoko's stupidity. I find it really hard to have any respect for a main character who can take a spoiler[spiteful, "try to forget *THIS*, baby" kiss] like the one in ep. 7 and somehow twist it around into further confirmation that she has a chance in hell of winning this guy's heart. That, combined with the way she was acting in ep. 8, is starting to make this show feel more like "Naoki and the delusional stalker girl" to me.

My past posts focused much more on Kotoko's idiocy, but given I had started to accept Naoki as not so bad (not good for Kotoko, but an interesting character at least), his behavior in that episode was so appalling that Kotoko wasn't the focus of my loathing for once.

Jedi General wrote:
I'm surprised that there are no comments regarding episode 8. It has been out for a few days now.

I watched it a day or two ago, but since I was the last one to post about episode 7, I didn't feel like editing that post to discuss it. Besides, I was tired of being negative, and the only positive I could find in episode 8 was that it wasn't episode 7. Razz
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
[...] the only positive I could find in episode 8 was that it wasn't episode 7. Razz

Heh heh, that's a funny way of putting it. At least you liked it better than episode 7. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was okay. It's not the greatest of the series, but it was fun enough. I have to agree with being skeptical of this spoiler[tennis club thing. Why couldn't Kotoko actually find something she was interested in to do? She can always go watch Irie's tennis matches if she wants to cheer him on. I guess I don't get her need to be with him 24/7...they already live together, so is being apart for another hour or two a day going to affect things that much.]

I have to say that I personally am sort of liking Irie lately a lot more. He amuses me though I definitely agree that he can be extremely cruel at times. But I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe he just has no clue about what he wants, romantically or otherwise.

Oh, also, spoiler for WAY beyond what we are at, but the fansub I am using has a description for the anime which says that spoiler[it will follow Irie and Kotoko's relationship up to their marriage and beyond. I have to say that I am looking forward to this, because it will be nice to see not only how they get together but also how they stay together. Too many series have the "we're getting married, hurrah!" ending so it will be nice to see something new.]

I'm still wondering how they are going to handle having an ending at all, of course, since the manga was never finished.
retty

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Oh, also, spoiler for WAY beyond what we are at, but the fansub I am using has a description for the anime which says that spoiler[it will follow Irie and Kotoko's relationship up to their marriage and beyond. I have to say that I am looking forward to this, because it will be nice to see not only how they get together but also how they stay together. Too many series have the "we're getting married, hurrah!" ending so it will be nice to see something new.]

I'm still wondering how they are going to handle having an ending at all, of course, since the manga was never finished.

spoiler[
I hope they'll think of a better way to get them together than what happened in the manga, which I thought was pretty stupid. I'd like it if there was more of a build up to it.]
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
i just got done with episode 7 & 8, i didn't like 7 at all untill the last 10 mins. episode 8 was a bit better spoiler[now that there is a new girl that is pretty much like Irie] also im still hate kin-chan, and man spoiler[i wouldnt join that tennis club either, 1,003 push ups!?!?!?] im about to watch episode 9, hopefully it will get better.
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
episode 9 was better but then the middle part spoiler[the part where kotoko and her tennis sempai are stalking them was abit too much.] again the ending is making me think twice about continuing this series.
xia83

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
I really do love Itazura na kiss.. no really.

But Kotoko needs a life or an interest outside of Irie. I'm getting kind of exasperated by it. I might have to drop it if it doesnt improve soon.
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Well, they do say love is blind... By that reckoning, Kotoko must be due a pair of bifocals by now Wink

i dont think she needs bifocals now, i think her seeing eye dog needs bifocals now Laughing
suchibu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
episode 9 was a nice improvement spoiler[ now the stalking part was overdone to a point but i think it was funny how ire knew what they were doing and put the jabs in knowing she was listening. he's slowly softening up, ]

and i was just about to give up hope on the series.

now i know kotoko acts very strange some times but please realise she's a 18 something young woman whom is "madly" in love . so she's living in a world from a completely different perspective then most of us, and as someone who at one point was "madly" in love with someone i can attest that you can put up with a awefull lot of pain and keep coming back for more.

and in iries defence. how are you supposed to act twards a girl that initially you DONT want to date or even deal with. granted he did some very cruel things but i can understand the reasoning behind most of it.
if she wasnt "madly" in love with him she would have gotten the clue and moved on.

now that he's started taking a liking to her a little, if he keeps up the abusive behavior then that would be wrong in my books.spoiler[ now the telling her that her test scores would show how much she loves him was actually quite sweet]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
I finally found this thread again!

So, I am still enjoying this series, if not completely loving it. I am really happy with the recent-ish news about the ending and how it will be what the mangaka originally intended but was never able to actually portray. I think it will be good closure for all the fans of the manga to know what was supposed to happen.

As for what is currently going on, aside from the more frequent time jumps (which isn't so bad, I guess, though it makes me wonder how slow the manga was taking things if we can safely skip so much time without cutting anything vital to the plot), I have to say that I am more than ready for spoiler[Irie and Kotoko to get together already. We all know it's going to happen and since that happening is not the end of the series, I'd prefer it sooner rather than later.]

I really have been loving Irie's characterization lately. spoiler[I think a good job has been done to show how his outer attitude might be more due to confusion than anything else, or at least that's my interpretation of it all. At very least, I don't think he really understands how he feels about Kotoko, though obviously he does care about her. I am also very glad that he's finally been able to figure out a career path.]

Oh, I am a bit annoyed about the ending of episode 11 and spoiler[the father's heart attack. That is cliche and was cliche before this manga was written, I'm sure. Also, I don't know why he's so freaked out about Irie chosing a different career when the younger brother seems just as intelligent and may actually want to be the successor.] But hopefully it will end well.

I wish there was a new episode this week, but alas, there is a one-week break Sad
darkraven2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I finally found this thread again!
spoiler[ We all know it's going to happen and since that happening is not the end of the series, I'd prefer it sooner rather than later.]

How do you know that they're going to get togetherspoiler[ before the ending of the series?] I was thinking that they'd get together on the last episode with a kiss, typical of most anime...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote
darkraven2000 wrote:
How do you know that they're going to get togetherspoiler[ before the ending of the series?] I was thinking that they'd get together on the last episode with a kiss, typical of most anime...

Because I know that the series spoiler[follows their story past them getting married], which is something that I think is really unique and which I am quite looking forward to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10