• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Here it is, the sequel of the fairly popular series, Gunslinger Girl!

And in this series, there's an entire new cast and staff working on this. And unfortunately, the tone and the look here are really different from Madhouse's adaptation. The girls look a lot more cutesy (and not to mention Henrietta and Rico seemed more chirpy than usual), the atmosphere doesn't seem gritty, and the new seiyuus just doesn't sound right. I don't know about you, but I kinda expected the animation from Artland to be like Mushishi quality, but in here it really wasn't (shaking still frames does not make it look like it's moving, and there's the car chase scene). The OP sequence looked pretty cool which looked like live-action screenshots of Italy (I wonder how they're able to get an Italian little girl to be involved in this Rolling Eyes), and the OP and ED songs were pretty good on its own right though.

Of course one to thing to think about is that the original manga-ka Yu Aida is more involved with this season of Gunslinger Girl. So I'm wondering, was this the original intention he wanted to make? I'll still watch this since I'm curious about the entire Pinocchio arc though these changes will take time to get use to.

[EDIT: Added this topic to the All Discussions thread. -TK]
Polly E.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm really curious (and furious) over the budget they got for this one. The art and animation are truly awful. The generic score (check out that stock car chase tune wooo!) really doesn't help much either. The character designs I could maybe look past if the production quality was there, but seriously, get these 17-20 year old Jose, Jean, etc outta my face.

Henrietta and Rico's characterizations just irked the hell out of me. Henrietta with all the moe moe blushing and Rico with her "eh heh" giggling. Claes and Triela are the only ones that seem to remain somewhat true to their manga counterparts.

It pains me to believe that Yu Aida is actually involved with this project because it seems so far removed from the manga with the designs and characterizations. I guess our only hope is the Pinocchio story gets decent treatment and that (long shot) maybe the DVD versions will patch up some of these terrible production issues. I'm not holding my breath though.

But hey, only one episode is out right now so it might improve, right? Still trying to retain the "Maybe everyone's exaggerating" optimism I had going into this show, I suppose :|
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised to hear about the animation quality. Is it not handled by Madhouse? I also hear the composer for the music is done by a different person, which is a shame because the music for the first season was really good, especially the opening theme. What I liked about the character designs of the first season was that they actually looked like little girls, not big-eyed, cutesy anime characters. Hearing that they look more moe is kinda disappointing. I'll just have to see this for myself.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I'm surprised to hear about the animation quality. Is it not handled by Madhouse?

Nope, it's by Artland.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Polly E. wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
I'm surprised to hear about the animation quality. Is it not handled by Madhouse?

Nope, it's by Artland.

I guess I didn't read the first post well enough. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I don't know about you, but I kinda expected the animation from Artland to be like Mushishi quality, but in here it really wasn't (shaking still frames does not make it look like it's moving, and there's the car chase scene).

Looking at the amount of top notch key animators they got for Mushishi it's obvious they must have had a massive budget for it which clearly isn't the case for this second GSG series.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind moe if moe was the intent from the beginning, but not change to moe for the sake of being moe. Don't they know that too much of a good thing turns it into a bad thing later on?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to join the majority and say I don't like the look of the new animation. Granted I haven't seen the show so maybe I'll be surprised but my first impression is not a favorable one. I prefer dubs myself so I'll wait to pass complete judgment until I hear who the American VA cast will be. I hope they don't follow the Japanese side and switch VA's. So hopefully Funi will get the sequel and bring back the same cast.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread. I have money riding on this show in that I've pre-ordered the first volume of the R2 DVD. This is one of two times I've ordered an anime DVD with the subject material "sight unseen". The other time was for an OAV whose release got canned about a month before it was due. I'll probably leave that order standing...for now.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Waiting on a competent fansub group to release this...although the one I have in mind is already calling it "Gundou Girls." This does not bode well Sad
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Waiting on a competent fansub group to release this...although the one I have in mind is already calling it "Gundou Girls." This does not bode well Sad

The fansub I watched had hard to read subtitles and some of the lines sounded awkward. I can't remember the name of the group......

After watching this episode I completely agree with everyone else. It's pretty bad when a season that finally comes out after about 4 years is lower quality then it's first season.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't sound good at all. GSG is one of my favorite series and it really saddens me to see a second season finally released, only to apparently be done so poorly. I may have to view it as a sort of GSG version of "Highlander 2"; just ignore the fact it even exists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
This doesn't sound good at all. GSG is one of my favorite series and it really saddens me to see a second season finally released, only to apparently be done so poorly. I may have to view it as a sort of GSG version of "Highlander 2"; just ignore the fact it even exists.

Even Sean Connery couldn't save the movie. Maybe he should voice Marco or something heh.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This is sad to hear, I was going to avoid watching a fansub of this series but with this I think the only way to know if I"m going to like it enough to buy is if I preview it Sad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
This is sad to hear, I was going to avoid watching a fansub of this series but with this I think the only way to know if I"m going to like it enough to buy is if I preview it Sad
That must have been a hard choice for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9