• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kanon DVDs 2-3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
hogkill3 wrote:
I'm watching this series right now and I have to say the comments about it being a series for fans are absolute bs.

My first impressions of the show were "omg this is so lame, the eyes are huge and like a foot apart on all the characters faces, and what is with the premise? It's like a harem for otaku girls"

I was very wrong. After you get a few episodes into it you realize it's not really a harem at all (and you get used to the bug eyed animation). It's an amazingly heartfealt story that will toy with your emotions. I'm a guy and I still cried numerous times in this series (and no i don't do that on a regular basis).

I still have 4 episodes to go but this was probably the biggest suprise any show has had in store for me because I expected it to be a boring harem style show.

Definitely disagree with the review on this one (although the review was for the DVD and it wasn't negative or anything). This show deserves no less than an A. And there's nothing wrong with the soundtrack, I thought it was quite good, and it only gets better from here on out.

It's like Haruhi meets Honey & Clover, and it's not a fan show it's just an amazing show. Definitely worth watching.

Wow, how are huge eyes and the distance between a new thing to you that you make that statement? You must not have much exposure to anime if you say that O_o

I'm still trying to finish the original Japanese for this series. I'm watching too many anime currently, but I'm liking this one a lot. I loved Air and I hope to move on to Clannad after this.
NoDammit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
hogkill3 wrote:
I'm watching this series right now and I have to say the comments about it being a series for fans are absolute bs.

My first impressions of the show were "omg this is so lame, the eyes are huge and like a foot apart on all the characters faces, and what is with the premise? It's like a harem for otaku girls"

No, it's a harem for otaku guys. The ones who are too afraid to approach an actual girl, so they make games featuring a plethora of cute, unthreatening ones who can't solve their own problems so the main character (player stand-in) can instead and be rewarded by having sex with them.

It's more than chick fights and panty shots than some other trashier harems, but it's definitely a harem.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Dammit, the more replies I read, the more impatient I become while waiting on my order of v 1 & 2 to arrive Mad . I actually had a tough time time trying to find a place that had them in stock; I finally settled for Rightstuf. And of course, my local Best Buy had vol 3 on the shelf, but not 1 & 2, which are backordered on their website. I should have checked this series out sooner Crying or Very sad ...
Oh well, so long as I get them (soon)!

Strange thing is, my local Best Buy never had any of Kanon, so I bought them online. Just last Saturday, they all of a sudden have one volume 2+box and two stand alone vol 2's and none of 1 or 3. Confused
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Considering both this and Air are based off of the original dating sim games of the same name, I'm surprised to hear people mention that they find this unrealistic. I mean, duh, of course it is!
yukikanou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
NoDammit wrote:
hogkill3 wrote:

No, it's a harem for otaku guys. The ones who are too afraid to approach an actual girl, so they make games featuring a plethora of cute, unthreatening ones who can't solve their own problems so the main character (player stand-in) can instead and be rewarded by having sex with them.

It's more than chick fights and panty shots than some other trashier harems, but it's definitely a harem.

I agree! I like Key's works. Maybe if enough people enjoy the anime that Key is a creator in, maybe they will release the games stateside! =)

belvadeer wrote:
Considering both this and Air are based off of the original dating sim games of the same name, I'm surprised to hear people mention that they find this unrealistic. I mean, duh, of course it is!

LOL!
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:32 am Reply with quote
uguuuuuuuu must have it all!

looks like this will be my year of the visual novel series this year! Anime hyper
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Any anime fan complaining about Kanon being unrealistic needs to step back and realize that that's the whole point of anime. Aside from the historical films like Grave of the Fireflies, you'd be hard pressed to find an anime that IS "realistic". Confused
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Any anime fan complaining about Kanon being unrealistic needs to step back and realize that that's the whole point of anime. Aside from the historical films like Grave of the Fireflies, you'd be hard pressed to find an anime that IS "realistic". Confused

I think, in terms of anime romance, the point is that there's a difference between Kanon/Air romantic escapism and, say, 5cm Per Second.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:

I think, in terms of anime romance, the point is that there's a difference between Kanon/Air romantic escapism and, say, 5cm Per Second.

The same difference between 5cm Per Second and 99% of any other anime romances. I haven't watched 5cm Per Second yet but it sounds like that is a very realistic look at things. Unlike 99% of anime including Kanon and the like. 5cm Per Second is the exception not the rule. Compare Kanon to other eroge adaptations or, really, 99% of other anime romances and it comes out looking just fine. And really, the romance isn't the point of Kanon. To be honest, I thought the romantic aspect wasn't handled that well, but I'll save my views on that for the relevant volume.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see my post got some laughs X3
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
Finally got these volumes in...
Quote:
The same can be said about the English script, although hopefully an explanation will be coming soon about why Sayuri always speaks in the third person in English.
After watching through episodes 5-8, I figured out just why that third-person reference seemed so prevalent on the English track. It's because Japanese allows grammatical "null subjects" and English does not. So in Japanese, Sayuri can say a sentence that's equivalent to "Always goes to bed before 11" without naming herself as the subject, because Yuuichi and Mai infer that she's talking about herself. But since that's not a valid sentence in English, they're forced to add the subject to make the line "Sayuri always goes to bed before 11." I don't know how satisfying the explanation (which should come on vol. 4 IIRC) will be to everyone, but evidently they found the plot point important enough to not rewrite Sayuri's lines and remove the third-person self-references.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2