• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-04-11]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
~Brain.Wav~ wrote:
Zac, you don't know the glory that is King Gainer's opening? For shame!
Here's a link

Wow, everyone dancing, haven't seen that before, amazing and fresh
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Funny that I just happen to read this because while I was out of town last weekend a 2 friends of mine started talking about the whole little mess with 'Adult Swim'. Now reading other folks comments it pretty much confirms the company's attitude as well as the network. There goal is to kill anime off the channel. That's the game they're playing. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Oh, definitely. CN and [as] want to completely drop anime. Which is why [as] is beginning a premiere run of Code Geass in two weeks. Or why CN just started airing Blue Dragon on Toonami. Or why they recently showed Howl's Moving Castle. Or why they obtained full rights to Bakugan. Or why Seirei no Morobito will be airing somewhere on the channel come fall.

I will also add to this, why? Why would they possibly need to "kill off anime"? If they really hate it so much that they don't want to air it, why would they not just...stop airing it. If they hate fans enough to attempt to pis them off enough to drive them away, I don't see why they would mind pissing them off by just stopping.

In fact, all the anti[as] sentiment gets on my nerves a little. Oh boo hoo. The big bad meanies at [as] sometimes make fun of you and your anime. Just be thankful you have that much anime on TV and aren't up in Canada where you're limited to the shows that make it onto YTV.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
in Canada where you're limited to the shows that make it onto YTV.

Huh? No, we're not. I watch 'Death Note' on YTV, but I also watch 'Black Lagoon' on G4 and recently watched 'Robotech' on Space. I could also watch a bunch more shows on SuperChannel and IFC Canada. Teletoon is finally airing anime movies again, too.

Things are looking up.

Zac wrote:
Keeping our Spring Preview Guide up and running with the new format is incredibly time consuming. If you haven't been reading that, go read it!

I find the new format utterly bewildering and have no idea where to start. I want to read about shows that will interest me, but the main page doesn't guide the reader that way.
the_ferret

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
On a completely unrelated note, I find it rather amusing that some people are making claims like "[as] is all about Tim & Eric" when it's by far the most-despised show in the history of their own forums and has probably pulled the lowest ratings of any of their original comedies.

I would be remissed not to point out that if the [as] message boards reflected the actual viewing public, there wouldn't be this discussion about a lack of anime because the viewership would have actually been in place.

I also don't have access to ratings figures, but unless you can back up that statement with a Nielson or Arbitron report, I would say that's wild speculation.

I still read and post on their boards somewhat regularly (have been since '03, which is a little sad), so I see actual numbers thrown around some. From what I can tell Tim and Eric/Tom Goes have always done respectably as original comedies, but don't ever come close to beating out stuff like Robot Chicken or ATHF, and certainly not Family Guy. Obviously they wouldn't be around if they performed terribly, but it's clear the [as] people just dig Tim and Eric to a certain degree. It's a programming block that's always been run with integrity in a lot of ways. They want results, but unique content for a specific demographic as well.

And LOL @ serious business anime fans crying about sarcastic ribbing. Of course [adult swim] hates anime. It's so obvious! They're the most successful and longest running adult-oriented anime block on American television, have probably aired more anime series than any other American television block ever, and have even produced an entire series parodying the medium (Perfect Hair Forever), with nothing but steadily declining ratings and a bunch of 15-year-olds clogging up their website with Love Hina acquisition requests and InuYasha RP to show for it. THESE GUYS MUST LOATH ANYTHING JAPANESE! Better go watch some ancient piece of crap on Sci Fi instead. Oh wait, we don't actually watch anime on TV at all, just complain about it to the internet. I forgot!

It's no surprise that the same people who fail to comprehend irony find no humor in intelligent, adult American comedy. Your mental capacity would have to be stunted at the level of a 5th grader to think any "humor" in Bleach or whatever other piss poor shonen is actually amusing, or that harem comedy has ever offered anything novel or interesting.

I love anime primarily because I love animation in general, but its comedy is more often than not cringeworthy. I think One Piece is funny in the way it uses a lot of classic cartoon conventions. I think Excel Saga was visually bizarre and almost amazingly madcap. I think Azumanga was funny because it was like Peanuts on acid, a perfectly rhythmic slice of life with some strange detours. And of course there are others. Hokuto no Ken unintentionally made me rofl on plenty of occasions. But surely people must realize that the majority of humor in popular anime (at least that's brought over here) is literally targeted toward middle schoolers?

Last edited by the_ferret on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
the_ferret

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Adult Swim painted mustaches over a rerun of Inuyasha!?

Also, for the record, I found the fart noises inserted in all the anime a few years ago funnier than the moustaches. The one Ed Elric ripped on that bridge was larger than life itself.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:

Zac wrote:
Keeping our Spring Preview Guide up and running with the new format is incredibly time consuming. If you haven't been reading that, go read it!

I find the new format utterly bewildering and have no idea where to start. I want to read about shows that will interest me, but the main page doesn't guide the reader that way.

1. Click on the Spring Preview Guide icon
2. Click on link for first reviewer, or whichever reviewer ir reviewing a show you are interested in
3. Start reading
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Huh? No, we're not. I watch 'Death Note' on YTV, but I also watch 'Black Lagoon' on G4 and recently watched 'Robotech' on Space. I could also watch a bunch more shows on SuperChannel and IFC Canada. Teletoon is finally airing anime movies again, too.

Things are looking up.

Now all we need is for Teletoon to start airing some good anime series and we'll be set. As a animation channel they could run stuff that YTV as a youth channel couldn't
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
TheVok wrote:

Zac wrote:

1. Click on the Spring Preview Guide icon
2. Click on link for first reviewer, or whichever reviewer ir reviewing a show you are interested in
3. Start reading

Uh, no.

For one thing, I don't give a frak for any one ANN reviewer over another.

But even more importantly, they're new anime series and their titles alone don't mean anything to me, either.

I'm not inherently interested in any of the shows, but I'd like to learn if I should be.

The main page in no way guides the reader towards content of specific interest. It's just a bunch of names.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Of course, of course. I'm talking about Cable though. Not specialty channels. If you're looking at them, they do balance things out a little but there are also a lot of US specialty channels with anime so you'd have to account for them too. (You are right about Robotech though and the couple recent movies on Teletoon though.) My point is that when it comes to basic cable which many people are still stuck with, there are a good few shows that those in the US may take for granted which are not available to those of us in Canada. Blood+ stands out as a big one since it got no DVD releases until recently. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Wolf's Rain, GitS SAC: 2nd GIG, Evangelion, Paranoia Agent, Outlaw Star, Blue Gender, Trinity Blood, FLCL, The 3 Gundam UC OVAs and Char's Counterattack, it's looking like Code Geass won't get a TV showing here either, and this is just a partial list. What exclusives has YTV had? Gundam SEED Destiny? That should practically count as a negative. There has been some stuff especially lately from secondary sources like Teletoon and Space (although most of it is really old). Overall though the balance is clearly way in the US favor.

I don't mean to paint a "poor us" scenario here or anything. It just irks me though to hear people complain about [as] when they're really quite lucky to have it.
Cephus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It's a little frustrating to know that the Japanese cultural export which I enjoy the most doesn't realistically depict life in the country.

Why would they? It isn't like the movies Hollywood exports realistically depict life in the United States, do they? It's entertainment, nothing more.
Top Gun wrote:
Oh, definitely. CN and [as] want to completely drop anime. Which is why [as] is beginning a premiere run of Code Geass in two weeks. Or why CN just started airing Blue Dragon on Toonami. Or why they recently showed Howl's Moving Castle. Or why they obtained full rights to Bakugan. Or why Seirei no Morobito will be airing somewhere on the channel come fall.

Cartoon Network shows what brings them advertisers and makes them money, period. If that's Family Guy reruns, that's what they'll show. If it's anime, that's what they'll show. Apparently, if it's Jurassic Park III, something that isn't even animated, they'll show that too.

They don't care so long as it makes a buck.

[Do not double-post. Use the Edit button if your post is the last in the thread and you want to add to it.~Zalis]
Cephus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Cartoon Network shows what brings them advertisers and makes them money, period. If that's Family Guy reruns, that's what they'll show. If it's anime, that's what they'll show. Apparently, if it's Jurassic Park III, something that isn't even animated, they'll show that too.

the_ferret

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Cephus wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Not exactly. Successful television is all about targeting and retaining specific demographics. There is an audience for anime, and a void of American stations airing it, which is why CN took a chance on it in the first place. It's clear that much of that audience is using other outlets, or perhaps getting difficult for advertisers to define, which could be reasons why they've been scaling back. If stations only ever aired things that guaranteed ratings, every channel would be American Idol and Friends 24/7. It's stupidity to argue that anything not pulling in massive numbers is necessarily detrimental to a network's success.

That said, I do think CN has lost some of its integrity (Goosebumps), but I don't think they're total sell-outs. Many of their pilots are still highly original (Foster's is a weird damn show on paper and artistically), and the network has always seemed to appreciate talent in a way that Nickelodeon or Disney Channel never have.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Wolf's Rain, GitS SAC: 2nd GIG, Evangelion, Paranoia Agent, Outlaw Star, Blue Gender, Trinity Blood, FLCL, The 3 Gundam UC OVAs and Char's Counterattack, it's looking like Code Geass won't get a TV showing here either

Well, that list isn't entirely accurate.

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and Trinity Blood aired on Razer.

And Trigun and Paranoia Agent aired on G4 TechTV Canada.

Admittedly the case of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig is a very sad one, as YTV had the rights but stopped after season one, presumably due to violent content. It would be great if another network had stepped in and picked it up, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the way things go these days.

Other Canadian 'exclusive' telecasts I can think of (and correct me if I'm wrong) would include:
- Beck
- Requiem from the Darkness
- Tokyo Underground
- 3x3 Eyes

I agree there's still opportunity on Canadian TV for FLCL and Neon Genesis Evangelion. But the most appropriate could be Space picking up Ghost in the Shell, airing it from the beginning and winding up after 2nd Gig with Solid State Society. And I say that because I really feel the show's content would appeal to Space's core audience, whether it's animated or not.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll repeat: "I'm talking about Cable though. Not specialty channels. If you're looking at them, they do balance things out a little but there are also a lot of US specialty channels with anime so you'd have to account for them too."

You shouldn't really take digital specialty channels for granted. You've obviously invested in them, I have too. A lot of people don't get em though.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
The thing is, my family has digital cable (via Verizon FiOS), and we don't get the vast majority of the premium channels that are listed in The Click every week. The only digitally-exclusive channel we get that does show anime is the FUNimation channel...well, we get FUSE as well, but I think they stopped airing Ergo Proxy a long while back. We'd have to pay an additional premium above the digital charges for either Encore or Starz, not to mention IFC...and I don't even know if ImaginAsian is available in any sense on our lineup. I'd imagine our situation isn't an exclusive case, too. Stations like Cartoon Network/Adult Swim and Sci-Fi really are essential to making anime available to the maximum possible number of viewers in this country, and in the case of Cartoon Network, I think it's hard to undervalue its contributions to the overall fandom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5