• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wagaya no Oinari-sama.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Wagaya no Oinari-sama

I hope I'm not the only one who is going to watch this.

Anyway I find the first episode to be entertaining and appealing. The story seems cliche but I'm giving this a chance. The characters seems generic and the animation was ok.

Kuugen reminds me of Horo so I'm worried that people who likes her would compare them together, but it's inevitable. Kuugen seems free spirited type of character as well.

The only thing I'm worried about with this series is that it might be episodic where there is a "monster for a day" sort of thing.

So far good, I hope there is a great plot awaiting in the latter episodes. Hopefully it will end up good. I enjoyed the first episode because I really like stories that involves shrine maiden and rituals, and all things related to it. Shrine, Toori, Shime nawa etc..... I also like the powers with each characters, and the 5 elements clan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
The only thing I'm worried about with this series is that it might be episodic where there is a "monster for a day" sort of thing.

This is my only worry as well. From looking at footage in the trailer, I'm sure the series picks up as the episodes go along. My guess is that it's going to be a bit episodic at first, but then there is some kind of main story that pops up later. After all, they have to fill up all 24 episodes. Wink

Though I think that if Kuugen wasn't there, that the first episode wouldn't have interested me. But I'd like to stick with the series anyway. The elemental fights could turn into something exciting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
After all, they have to fill up all 24 episodes. Wink

Yeah I hope those 24 episode wouldn't turn out to be episodic. I wish it gets on with the main story in early episodes. I'm so thrilled, can't wait to see the future battles.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Though I think that if Kuugen wasn't there, that the first episode wouldn't have interested me. But I'd like to stick with the series anyway. The elemental fights could turn into something exciting.

I'm starting to like Kuugen and you're right about her being able to transform into male. I think it is cool. I agree the elemental battle could be exciting, another reason to continue.

Last edited by chichiriNoDa on Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
This will of course get comparisons with Spice and Wolf and understandably so, but the light novel and manga versions of Wagaya no Oinari-sama predate the light novel and manga versions of Spice and Wolf by quite a bit.

According to Wiki

Light Novels
Wagaya no Oinari-sama - February 10, 2004 – ongoing
Spice and Wolf - February 10, 2006 – ongoing

Manga
Wagaya no Oinari-sama - February 27, 2007 – ongoing
Spice and Wolf - September 27, 2007 – ongoing

The light novels and manga for both series are published by Mediaworks. The first novel for Wagaya won the Gold Prize in the tenth Dengeki Novel Prize contest. The first novel for Spice and Wolf won the Silver Prize in the twelfth Dengeki Novel Prize contest. For Code Geass fans the Horo and Kuugen thing is fun since they are voiced by the VA's for Kallen and C.C respectively.

Anyway onto the acutal show itself.. Everything about the first episode was rather average aside from Yukana's voice acting which was excellent, I'll keep watching though since the source material is award winning and many novels I've read had so-so first chapters/starts and ended up great. And I really like the arrogant/confident C.C voice Yukana is using for Kuugen :)

And btw there is 7 light novels out for this series so there should be more than enough plot to fill out 24 episodes.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
Kuugen reminds me of Horo so I'm worried that people who likes her would compare them together, but it's inevitable. Kuugen seems free spirited type of character as well.

I don't know why, but compared to most people, I really didn't get any Spice and Wolf vibe (though if asked, I really can't see Kuugen being a better lead than Horo, not in an hundred years). Aside from that, I thought the first episode was completely average in about every aspect, nothing really made the show interesting. Still, I can totally see this one getting better.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I agree, this one has an entirely different feel from either Kanokon or Spice and Wolf - at least based on the first episode, anyway. Neither of the others were even close to being dark supernatural tales.

I am going to watch at least one more episode, to see what direction it's ultimately going, before making up my mind on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of comparing wolf that imitate human form, I see this anime fills my interest between those of the new series. I didn't like much first episode but the genre being supernatural, I say it's about time to change a certain pace.

More to its explanation, thanks to the ffs for explaining things better. Hope, Oinari-sama would a better protagonist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
From the first episode, I'm going to give the series at least one more episode. Save for Kuugen, the series doesn't really interest me all that much. It's funny that I say that, since the only reason I decided to check out this series was due to Spice and Wolf. Like others have stated, I hope it doesn't become a "monster-of-the-week" series. But since it is 24 episodes, there has to be an actual plot lying in wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 is out....

I'm liking the atmosphere, it seems like a slice-of-life genre. spoiler[Although there was a battle, but it looks like it has something to do with the overall plot of the story. Can't wait till the plot develops, it's too early to tell where this series is going. I just wish it gets better and better.]

Episode 2 was satisfying. Hopefully more awesome battles for the next epi.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
The very least you could say is that the second episode was an improvement over the first and I'm starting to like some of the characters too, but I'm still not convinced. Though I agree it has the potential to be good once the story kicks in, but right now I still think it's rather average (in a positive way).
8JF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'll be mistaking Kuugen for Horo since this series is much different in scope and tone. Wagaya seems to be for a younger audience and lacks the wit and charm from Spice and Wolf. That's not to say it's a bad series but it's going to do different things including more combat between supernatural opponents. It will be an interesting show but the dishrags for male leads is a trifle annoying.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
The second episode was certainly better than the first (which was good mainly for the final scene with [spoiler]Kou in the luggage rack) but its still decent at best.

Also, male Kuugen reminds me of Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
8JF wrote:
Wagaya seems to be for a younger audience

You're correct, Wagaya is shounen while Spice and Wolf is Seinen.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
Got around to watching episode 2 since ep 3 looked liked fun. got a chuckle @ their dad just saying okay straight away, also his conversation with Kou. Was a decent episode, looking forward to 3.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
LoL I never thought that this series can be much entertaining.

Episode 3 spoiler[was hilarious especially Kou with her house chores. I also enjoyed the part of school. Sakura was wack and funny. I like the part where she was thinking about the relation between Takagami, Kuu and Kou, her crazy ideas are pure classic. ]

Episode 4 was a good ep as well. I like the fight scene.

Although this series will have the "monster of the week" theme, I enjoyed every battles. It's fun. Seriously I never thought that this anime as a comedy series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2