• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your opinion on Tsundere type animes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't like Tsunderes, just like I don't like any character simple enough that they can be summarized effectively into a character type.

Tsundere is a broad term and there are varying degrees of tsundere-ness. Even the Rie Kugiyama tsundereloli trio are all different. It hardly encompasses the whole of their being, its just a type of character, like the ojou-sama, the bookworm, the shy girl, or the mad scientist (the last of which is probably more restrictive than "tsundere").
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
abunai: Okay, I'm sorry. I'm chilled out now. I won't make fun of Dormcat any more. I have seen the light and reformed my wicked ways. Hallelujah!

HitokiriShadow wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't like Tsunderes, just like I don't like any character simple enough that they can be summarized effectively into a character type.

Tsundere is a broad term and there are varying degrees of tsundere-ness. Even the Rie Kugiyama tsundereloli trio are all different. It hardly encompasses the whole of their being, its just a type of character, like the ojou-sama, the bookworm, the shy girl, or the mad scientist (the last of which is probably more restrictive than "tsundere").

No, I understand that. As I said in the rest of my post though: "Or rather, I don't like characters identical enough that you either like them all or don't like them all. If a character can truly be classified as such then they probably need to be developed more."

If you just want to use "tsundere" to describe one aspect of a character, then clearly that is just a personality trait. You can't really like it or dislike it. It depends entirely on the rest of the characters personality and the context of what the anime does with the character and therefore every case will be different.
monkeyinalamborghini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I think it can really hurt a show that can be otherwise really good like Full metal panic. Kaname could've been a much better character I'm sure they could've developed her further. I'd rather watch that than filler.

On the other hand I think it's kinda our fault cause we really as fans just take what we get. It makes me feel stupid as a fan.

I mean think about it alot of people say they don't like one dimensional characters. But at the same time shows like elfen lied and chobits have basically glorified pokemon with nice knockers as the female lead. The worst part is chobits as far as I know was created by women. I mean really I dare anyone to tell me those are deep characters they both have 1 or 2 flashback episodes.

Even worse after having said all that I'd probably still prefer a show like chobits or elfen lied to an anime with a tsundere lead.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
What I don't get about tsundere-types in anime is why they have to take out their anger over the male lead that said tsundere character has feelings for. For example, I can't help but feel sorry for Inuyasha after Kagome gives him multiple "SIT!" commands.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
As always, the Devil is in the details, but a well-crafted tsundere (or, more specifically, a tsunderekko which refers to a female tsundere character) can be a lot of fun. Taiga from Toradora! is my idea of the epitome of this particular species.

I would say tsunderekko have a certain real life psychological underpinning when it comes to the common anime convention of having such a character treat the boy she likes badly or with anger. This is basically a self-defense mechanism. Such a character (whatever the wellspring of their anger may be) believes (usually with good reason) that they are likely to be rejected by the object of their affection. So their anger is a pre-emptive strike designed to ensure they are not put in a position to be rejected in the first place.

All in all, I much prefer a tsunderekko over your standard shy, meek female who seems to represent the flower of Japanese womanhood to a lot of anime creators.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't think of any anime as being a "tsundere type". Tsundere describes a archetype of characters found in several anime but because of the nature of those characters don't influence the actual show itself enough to be classified under that type. Basically it's not meant to refer to a genre. For example a sports anime might have a tsundere character in it. It's still a sports anime.

I think tsundere characters are cute but I'm not too particular about them or have a specific opinion about the character type. I'm actually somewhat tsundere myself, so they kind of reflect my personality in a way I find trouble admiring. I tend to be more fascinated with cheerful and ditsy characters, hyperactive ones and bookish, glasses girls.

Negima! is a good show to watch to examine which type-cast character molds you tend to admire. Far and above any other character in the show, I find Nodoka Miyazaki to be the most interesting of them all, with the main character Asuna being somewhat tsundere.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Negima! has a really interesting range of characters (I mean where else will you find a ghost all the way to a vampire in one class headed by a mage?)

there's at least one person to fit in to each different character type in both the manga and anime.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Tsundere characters, to me, are one of the biggest problems in anime right now.

Ever since Evangelion became a case study in why ridiculously damaged women are somehow sex symbols, it's been ridiculous to see the devolution of female archetypes in anime.

You simply don't see an Emeraldas anymore. You don't see Priss. You don't see Leona, Kei & Yuri, Rally Vincent, Noa, or even damned AKANE anymore.

You see this endless procession of "Well, this is how this type of character behaves" scripts which completely ignore past lessons learned and you end up with the slapstick rinse/repeat of Love Hina's Keitaro Urashima and Naru Narusegawa.

Don't think that the moe brats are getting off my hook either. I have serious issues with the idea that a girl who is easily startled by falling leaves is somehow a worthwhile potential partner.
Sword Magess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The apparent rise of tsundere presence in anime has a lot to do with the popularization of the term rather than the frequency of appearance of the character type itself. The term, being a loosely defined product of otaku culture rather than being burdened with scholarly scrutiny, is then applied seldom retroactively. Many point to Asuka Soryu of Evangelion as the prototype tsunderekko, but tsunderekkos have been the bane of hapless male leads since at least Lum of Urutsei Yatsura, and they have been at odds with giant robot pilots since at least Sayaka Yumi of Mazinger Z. Certainly the behavioral pattern of present day tsunderekkos in romantic comedies owes much more to Akane Tendo of Ranma than they do to Asuka; the latter is merely mentioned more often in conjunction with the term.

Tsunderekkos have been with us for a long time. We can see the dynamic in Rook Bartley of Robotech: the New Generation; we can see it in Priss Asagiri of Bubblegum Crisis; and certainly we cannot forget Nadia of Nadia: the Secret of Blue Water, who seemed to have passed her personality to Asuka and looks to Shinji Ikari. While it is not a character type that is particularly interesting to me, I see no fundamental problem with it.
quoththeraven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ever since Evangelion became a case study in why ridiculously damaged women are somehow sex symbols

Laughing We still can't escape the effects of that Freudian mindtrip in a faux-Biblical wrapper can we?

Damaged women, much like damaged men, with a vulnerable side do seem to attract a lot of attention from people who have strange ideas of "rescuing/reforming" them.

I always thought the tsundere was for the guy who couldn't make up his mind between Yamato Nadesico and Man-Eater/Femme Fatale stereotype.

Why decide on two out-of-reality abstractions when you can just fuse'em together!? Rolling Eyes
dgreater1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote
Oh... I remember having an intense argument with people about the definition of tsundere (modern vs classic definition). But all in all, my opininion about tsundere type anime is rather simple. Most are heavy on "comedy" and though their action (the tsundere herself) can be rather annoying from time to time, they don't fail to amuse me.

As for how I take tsundere in everyday life? Well, we have an almost equivalent term in our native language "Filipino" so I don't find tsundere characters (modern definition) to be weird and in fact I have some acquaintances like that.

As for the classic definition, the ones they say who starts tsuntsun then becomes deredere as the story progress? Those are the ones you'd rarely encounter. I mean, I haven't basically met anyone who's tsuntsun (mataray/has a quick temper) to me at first then became deredere (biglang bait/suddenly became honest).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
My opinion on tsundere type anime titles would depend on what type of storyline it has and the type of character said tsundere character(s) is/are like. The mentioned characters have to have some character traits that I like which balance out the aggression they show towards whichever male character they have interest in. As long as these elements aren't too over-the-top or get annoying enough where it affects my enjoyment of the series, then I have no problem with them. Examples of tsundere characters I've enjoyed seeing are Madoka Ayukawa of Kimagure Orange Road, Aoba Tsukishima of Cross Game, and Kaname Chidori of Full Metal Panic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wellness

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes they are cool, other times they are annoying. They are most annoying when presented as the main (and inescapable) romantic interest while surrounded by various other females that like the main guy and are either all more open with their feelings, hotter or make more sense with the male lead due to history or personalities.

But when presented in some fashions, they work pretty well, I enjoyed the relationships in FMP, School Rumble and Shana but didn't care much for the tsunderes Louise nor Ibuki in Familiar of Zero and Asu no Yoichi respectively.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:21 am Reply with quote
Honestly I don't really feel drawn to any series where the characters can be neatly pigeonholed into various archetypes, because I think it represents lazy writing and character development. Ideally I like series where characters learn and grow and are able to change through their experiences subtly and realistically. Terms like Tsundere, Yandere and any other (usually) moe archetype represent to me a desire to appeal to a ready-made audience, something that makes sense financially but doesn't make for a very interesting show IMO.
GinKamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
"Terms like Tsundere, Yandere and any other (usually) moe archetype represent to me a desire to appeal to a ready-made audience, something that makes sense financially but doesn't make for a very interesting show IMO."

Agreed ... and I'm one of them btw ... but that doesn't make a really well made anime diminish in value like some1 posted earlier this type of character usually does not make the difference in the value of a series ... sure there are exceptions like Toradora and Bakemonogatari but that's only because they play a really big part in the plot as a big part of a bigger whole Idea (the quote button didn't work btw =D)

And boy does this char type gib birth to a lotta controversies Anime hyper ... usually 'revolutionary'-types do that Wink and some1 might argue on that pretty strongly ... in the end it just all comes back on how well the anime is put together ... wether episodical or 'bigger picture' and even 'collection' plot any series can excel at capturing eyes Exclamation

P.S. : I for one prefer well drawn anime as in eye-candy ... but that might be just me Confused sure there are old shows I particularly enjoy and even simplist-drawn animes but they compensate lots on the structure side Twisted Evil

Peace-out ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4