• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Fan Disappears in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Several People wrote:
Why is ANN posting this?

When someone in smalltown USA goes missing in a foreign country, you can expect the smalltown USA Herald to report on it. hey do this because it is likely that some of their readers will be interested and or know the missing person.

Similarly, when a member of the anime community (this girl was a member of her local anime club) goes missing, it's reasonable to think that there might be ANN readers who know this person and only learn of it through ANN. That's part of ANN's job, to inform people about things that matter to them.

Now then, obviously, ANN's job is a bit more precise. It's to inform people about anime relate topics that matter to them.

If this girl had decided to disappear in a way that had nothing to do with anime, then we wouldn't have covered the story. But fact is, she chose to disappear in Japan, a place she may have chosen because of her interest in anime.

So the story is anime related, may have a personal connection to some of our readers (she might even have been a reader), appears to be of interest to many other readers given the length of this talkback thread.

In the past we've also covered the disappearance of anime fans on their way home from anime conventions.

And hey, if we somehow manage to help out, if someone reading this website saw the girl last week in Hokkaido, then great (for the record, 3000 people from Sapporo have visited this site in the past month, and some 100,000+ from the whole of Japan). Our job isn't to help find missing persons, but if we manage to do that while doing our job, then I'm pretty pleased with that.

Christopher Macdonald
Editor in Chief
Anime News Network
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Damn good reasons why this is posted on ANN.

Also, keep in mind not everyone watches the Evening News. Or Internet News sites. So, for someone in Sapporo, Hokkaido or Japan not to have known about this would not be surprising. So this might be the first time that they have heard about this.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Where are the articles about some black or latina (or any other minority) girls or boys that are missing that happen to be in anime clubs eh?

We haven't received any reports of non-white anime fans going missing at an anime convention, or on a trip to Japan. If we did, we'd post them.

You're close to being the racist you accuse us of being, getting mad at us for covering a white girl's disappearance. Is there anything wrong with us writing about a white girl? If there isn't, then keep your accusations and insinuations to yourself until you see some sort of evidence that we deliberately chose not to write about a non-white individual in a similar situation (anime fan going missing in a way related to anime).

For the record, I'm not saying that it never happened, but rather that if it did, it never came to our attention. If it has happened, racial bias may have played a part in our not hearing about it, but I won't have ANN blamed for the racial bias of others, which I certainly know exists.

-t
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

Wow, you act as if I give a rats ass what you or anyone else thinks Zac.

Wow. Frankly, I'm shocked to hell at the level of bullshit tolerance that Zac and the other moderators have shown in this forum, let alone this thread, in not reprimanding or banning callous individuals such as yourself. And yet what do they get for it? Insults and even more callous remarks. I'll probably get a few for pointing this out. [sigh]
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow. She must have been planning this out for a long time. She didn't take any extra money because she didn't think she would need it. Not exactly a good sign. I hope that someone stops her from doing something she wont live to regret.

And wow. How some people on this forum could be so rude and unfeeling as not only make fun of something as irrevelant as this person's appearance, but to belittle their life baffles me. It's really disgusting.
jel123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Been avoiding posting to this thread with the negativity and all. Sad

It's really sad that the editorial staff needs to justify why the story is here when that should be obvious to everyone.
I do appreciate ANN reporting stories like this even if Skyes only connection to most readers is that she is an anime fan.

Based on the facts reported in the various news stories the chances of finding her alive don't appear to be good. She certainly didn't bring enough money to stay for what is going on 4 weeks now. A few people mentioned credit cards but there was no indication from any of the news stories that she had one. So we should assume that when she landed in Japan she had only the clothes on her back, $800 in cash, and her laptop.
Once the cash runs out she could sell or trade the laptop. This could give the police a clue to her whereabouts. If the laptop is one that is not commonly available in Japan it might stand out. Or if the family has the serial number or MAC address it may be possible to track it to who ever has it now.
It's also possible that she is staying with someone that she met online or when she got there. Even so staying silent with all this publicity isn't necessarily a good sign.

At any rate I hope for the best.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
man I didn't even say anything negative, I just spoke the truth! Chances are, as a white chick all alone in Japan, this chick got raped and murdered! Has anyone seen what they do to their own women in Japan? Now imagine that x10, that's how weird it is for white chicks over there. I think it's a very valid point!

Wow, you seem to have a poor understanding of probability. Yes, Japan does have some problems with sexually oriented crime. And it's generally accepted that many of the cases in Japan go un-reported. But it's also obvious that virtually all cases involving first world tourists, ie: "pretty white chicks from the USA" do get reported. And you know what, the number of reported cases involving foreigners is very low.

A tourist has a much higher chance of being raped in San Francisco (where I'm moving next year BTW) than in Tokyo, let alone Hokkaido.

In fact, in the last 10 years, more Americans have been more accusations of Japanese women being raped by Americans in Japan than of American women in Japan being raped by Japanese. (note: based on what I've seen & read, not based on an actual survey. Just look at Japan Today Archives to see the overwhelming difference between the two).

Again, I'm not disagreeing that Japan has serious issues with sex related crimes. I'm just saying that your understanding of these problems is very inaccurate.

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, the police in Tokyo still haven't captured the suspect of the British English teacher that was murdered and had her body buried in a bath tub full of sand last year. He seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth, or hiding in Hokkido. this is a very sad situation and what happens when teenagers don't talk to their parents about their concerns and problems. That sign is right. There is always hope, and help. One need only reach out and ask for help. I hope she is found, or she reconsiders and contacts her family, very soon.
roshumba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I made an account just to post on this story.

Some of the posts on this board are just... I don't even know how to describe it. It's a human life you are talking about.

Would it hurt to simply care?

Yes, their are many cases like this, and it will happen again. Probably to less fanfare. It's inevitable.

But, it's because of this, and not in spite of this, that we try to care for this one person, because we can. We may not able to have enough sympathy or caring for tears for EVERYONE in the world, but as long as we try to help SOMEONE instead of cowing ourselves into helping no one because of impossibility of it, then it is okay.

I'll start rambling now...
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

...In fact, in the last 10 years, more Americans have been more accusations of Japanese women being raped by Americans in Japan than of American women in Japan being raped by Japanese. (note: based on what I've seen & read, not based on an actual survey. Just look at Japan Today Archives to see the overwhelming difference between the two)....

-t

Culturally, especially in a place like Japan, you have to be a little careful placing a lot of stock in anecdotal, socially-tinged issues like rape by foreigners. In my experience I wouldn't classify Japan as a hotbed of street assault to begin with (comparatively), but this is a country that sells breathless tabloids with names like 'Foreigner Sex Crime Files!!', 'Hidden Yank Soldier Attacks!', etc. at the local shops. There's nowhere near the frightening animosity like in South Korean press, and Americans/American Soldiers get a much lighter touch then what other foreign/minority communities get hit with, but sex assaults by foreigners seems to be something the Japanese really play up heavily in their cultural psyche. (Which isn't to say it never happens, only to say from my experience the press coverage of suspected events/issue in general get's news play far in excess of actual occurrence).
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
You know, I just had a thought. All of you people saying that it's her own fault and that you don't care because she made a selfish decision, even though I admit to my own posts probably being within this category and I really hope that I don't come off as some cold, heartless person because of it because that's not what my intentions were at all, but haven't you considered what has been mentioned here already pertaining to her being an anime fan, so what are the chances that she could be reading this thread as we speak? Even if you are right, being so negative about it could make her think "You know, they're right! I'm such a weak, selfish, stupid person!" Which of course could put her in an even worse state of wanting to commit suicide, and if she actually went through with it it could be because of what you said! How would you like something like that on your conscience? I bet you'd care then, now wouldn't you?

I'm not saying that that's going to happen or that she is indeed reading this or anything, I'm just considering a possibility is all. Speculation, yes. But possible nonetheless. And with something like this you have to consider all possibilities.
Celes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
This is a real shame. I really hope this girl is found and that she gets the help she needs.

Depression is a disease and anyone who says she is a coward is seriously messed up. When you have depression you don't think "right". The only way to really understand it is unfortunately to suffer from it. I hope that no one on here who condemns this girl ever has to suffer the pain of someone they know killing themselves or watch them get eaten away by depression. When my mom's best friend committed suicide a year ago, it shook me in a way that I know I will never recover from because I knew her since I was a child. That's why I think the people who make fun of this girl are sick bastards.

I really hope that she maybe just needed a break and got ballsy and did something she really wanted to let off steam. When you are on the brink, things like money and clothes to last you for a trip aren't on your mind. You just want to get out of your head.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Where are the articles about some black or latina (or any other minority) girls or boys that are missing that happen to be in anime clubs eh?

We haven't received any reports of non-white anime fans going missing at an anime convention, or on a trip to Japan. If we did, we'd post them.

You're close to being the racist you accuse us of being, getting mad at us for covering a white girl's disappearance. Is there anything wrong with us writing about a white girl? If there isn't, then keep your accusations and insinuations to yourself until you see some sort of evidence that we deliberately chose not to write about a non-white individual in a similar situation (anime fan going missing in a way related to anime).

For the record, I'm not saying that it never happened, but rather that if it did, it never came to our attention. If it has happened, racial bias may have played a part in our not hearing about it, but I won't have ANN blamed for the racial bias of others, which I certainly know exists.

-t

For starters I never said once I was mad. I simply questioned the reasoning behind why the article was here to begin with. I wasn't aware simply disagreeing with something means you have to be mad about it. Sorry Tempest, but I have better things to do then let myself get mad or angry at what Joe Smith the internet poster says on some forum. Now, the comments about her being white are also not directed solely or even particularly at ANN, nor am I saying ANN is racially bias. They're made in general at the media because it seems the majority of cases that ever get any public media attention are the cases where the hometown white girl goes missing. Not the hometown black girl, mexican girl, chinese girl, etc. That's just simple truth. As well as the fact that many people only get this upset over the hometown white girl being missing, and while posters here may not want to admit that or call me an ass for saying it that doesn't change the fact it is the realistic truth.

xstylus wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

Wow, you act as if I give a rats ass what you or anyone else thinks Zac.

Wow. Frankly, I'm shocked to hell at the level of bullshit tolerance that Zac and the other moderators have shown in this forum, let alone this thread, in not reprimanding or banning callous individuals such as yourself. And yet what do they get for it? Insults and even more callous remarks. I'll probably get a few for pointing this out. [sigh]

So it's bullcrap to not follow in line with everyone else and have a different opinion huh? It's bullcrap because I don't spend my every waking moment worrying about what random people on the internet think about me? I'm sorry but I have better things to do then worry about what random people think about me. Especially when those people disappear as soon as I turn my computer off. I also hate to break it to you but people can have different opinions ya know. I don't care if majority of people don't agree with me on this subject nor do I think less of people who don't. I however won't simply nod my head and kiss ass and join the group when my views differ from most people on this subject. I do feel sorry for her family but not for her and I won't apologize for that to anyone here. As I have said suicide is selfish and simply a cop out from having to deal with life like everyone else. And before you even trying to say how I don't know how she feels I suffer from manic depression and anxiety and I was suicidal before after my fiance' died. But life goes on so I moved past it and simply dealt with what life gave me. Those who commit suicide don't think for one second how what they're doing will effect those around them and how it can cause the same grief they feel to be felt by others. That is about as selfish as you can get IMO.

Last but not least I also already apologized to Zac for my post since I made it in response to his which I thought was directed at me but wasn't.
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Depression is a disease. Blaming someone who dies by suicide is like blaming someone who dies from any other disease. If you die from cancer you leave a lot of sad relatives and friends but nobody blames you. Yet if you die from depression half of ANN says "good riddance to that weak, selfish person." I think that's an unbelievably naive view to be completely honest.

----------

Psycho 101 wrote:
Those who commit suicide don't think for one second how what they're doing will effect those around them and how it can cause the same grief they feel to be felt by others. That is about as selfish as you can get IMO.

Many letters left after successful suicides repeatedly apologize for the pain and anguish they're causing as a result of their actions and beg for forgiveness from those who are left behind. That would seem to imply they were not only thinking of themselves. Suicides cover a large number of people in a wide range of circumstances, some of whom think that by ending their lives they're actually doing their friends and families a favor. Extreme depression can turn the world upside down and leave those who suffer from it with little or no understanding of what is truly helpful or harmful to them or anyone else.

Last edited by daxomni on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I hate it when news like these end up getting out the worst of us.

It's a shame things like these happen in the world, and I don't meant just in Japan. It happens in the U.S.A, it happens in Japan, it passes everywhere in the world. I'd hope for the girl to be okay, but if it's been more than 50 days since she disappeared and the 'suicide note' is for real, chances are pretty low.

I don't think this thread would be locked if someone petitioned for it, but if they do, please lock this. The only thing the thread is doing is getting the worst out of the ANN.com users I thought (and think at times) were way more rational than other people in other forums.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10