• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Fan Disappears in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young98

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Young98 wrote:
attractive? have you seen the picture?

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
On a much less seriousness note, I do agree with you on her looks.

Maybe you guys ought to also consider the possibility that her unattractiveness may be another factor into possible suicide. I've heard stories of people that killed themselves because they weren't "good looking" enough for the opposite sex. This isn't something to joke around with.

I tell ya one thing, if I were her and if I just happened to fire up my laptop and read your post, it sure wouldn't help my self esteem much. The fact that you're not joking would make the comment sting even worse.

I can't believe how some of you guys are giving commentary on her attractiveness over a situation like this. Some of you are describing her like she's hideous, and her picture isn't at all that bad.

I sure hope her family doesn't read these posts. Cripes, people, have a heart.

dude, calm down, ok sure, maybe it was in somewhat bad taste, but this type of action that a full grown adult did, not some 10 yr old that ran away, this is grown-up, and her reasoning to get away from her problems or wtvr, was to go to japan without telling her family and now her family is suffering because of her, that's one of the reasons i don't pity her, and people that make stupid decisions like that are putting them selves up for ridicule
plus, unless someone knows the person being affected, i really don't get why one would try so hard to defend that person, or feel sorry, if they feel sorry for an incident like this, they should be sorry for every incident, in fact, in the time it took for someone to read this post, thousands of lives have just been lost, and i bet that someone isn't going to go cry over them, so why is this story any different?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
It's sad that people often ignore or just don't notice that a person's getting this depressed. Sometimes a little kindness can save a life.

I couldn't agree with you more. Although in all honesty, I think it's every bit as much her fault as it is anyone else's. I'm not trying to be insensitive or anything, and I too hope she's okay and that she's eventually found, but even if she doesn't have any friends from being withdrawn and it's not necessarily the easiest thing in the world to open up about something like this to someone you don't know very well, it seems to me like her family at least cares about her enough, so then why didn't she just try to open up to them? I mean, how is someone supposed to reach out to her if they don't even know what's going on? And really, how can anyone know what's going on with her unless she opens up about it more?

I know it's not a very easy thing to do, but it's something one just has to overcome if they ever truly want to rid themselves of it. You've just got to either have more faith in the goodness of people's hearts or just simply not care as much about what everyone else thinks, or both. That's just the way things are. I mean really, you can blame anyone you want, but in the end it's her own fault for being as withdrawn as she is. Even though one wouldn't believe it if you based it solely off of some of what's been said in [scold]this thread[/scold] (I mean seriously people.... Rolling Eyes This is the EXACT reason why some of these people don't open up as much as they should...... Rolling Eyes ), and even though you wonder sometimes with the way some people generally are, there are people in this world that will reach out to those kind of people if they just opened up about it more.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
...it seems to me like her family at least cares about her enough, so then why didn't she just try to open up to them? I mean, how is someone supposed to reach out to her if they don't even know what's going on? And really, how can anyone know what's going on with her unless she opens up about it more?

What makes you say she didn't open up to her family?

ABC News wrote:
Skye's sister, Megan Budnick, who appeared at the press conference with her mother in Japan, posted a blog about her sister's disappearance at 4:30 p.m. on April 4 to a profile on MTV Think, an online community tied to the music television network. In the post, Megan, described her sister as someone who "loves everything" about the Asian country but has been coping with depression.

"She never told any friends or family about this trip, but she has been very depressed, and has always said that she wanted to leave to go to Japan and just kill herself there," Megan wrote in the post.

The itinerary discovered by Budnick's family described a passage from the United States through Tokyo to Hokkaido. "She doesn't have a cell phone, she didn't pack any belongings," Megan wrote, adding that the only item missing was her sister's laptop. The missing woman's family also found a suicide note saved in draft form in her e-mail account that was prepared for a friend, according to Megan Budnick. A missing person's report has been filed with Japanese authorities, but because Skye Budnick is an adult, there is little that can be done by authorities, according to her sister.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=4666523

Last edited by daxomni on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
jhuhn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
If she really wanted she could have went to an upcoming anime con in her area rather than spend a fortune to go to Japan.

She should not be so hard on herself and running away can't solve her problems in life.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify, I'm not blaming the family or the girl. We don't know enough to blame anybody at all at this stage. Maybe the family was already trying to help. At the very least flying to Hokkaido on short notice can't be very cheap. If they didn't care they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of getting into her mail and tracking down her last known whereabouts half way around the world.

On the positive side, you have the assumption that she was waiting for the cherry blossoms according to her sister and you also have the fact that she had not yet sent the suicide draft letter. So, I think they might still find her, assuming they can get some cooperation from folks who may have seen her. Japan isn't the sort of country where a girl like her can blend in very easily, especially outside of Tokyo, so the only question is if anyone who has seen her is willing to stick their neck out.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
young98 wrote:
xstylus wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Young98 wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Maybe you guys ought to also consider the possibility that her unattractiveness may be another factor into possible suicide. I've heard stories of people that killed themselves because they weren't "good looking" enough for the opposite sex. This isn't something to joke around with.

I tell ya one thing, if I were her and if I just happened to fire up my laptop and read your post, it sure wouldn't help my self esteem much. The fact that you're not joking would make the comment sting even worse.

I can't believe how some of you guys are giving commentary on her attractiveness over a situation like this. Some of you are describing her like she's hideous, and her picture isn't at all that bad.

dude, calm down, ok sure, maybe it was in somewhat bad taste, but this type of action that a full grown adult did, not some 10 yr old that ran away, this is grown-up, and her reasoning to get away from her problems or wtvr, was to go to japan without telling her family and now her family is suffering because of her, that's one of the reasons i don't pity her, and people that make stupid decisions like that are putting them selves up for ridicule
plus, unless someone knows the person being affected, i really don't get why one would try so hard to defend that person, or feel sorry, if they feel sorry for an incident like this, they should be sorry for every incident, in fact, in the time it took for someone to read this post, thousands of lives have just been lost, and i bet that someone isn't going to go cry over them, so why is this story any different?

Well she's only human.
Humans do stupid things when they're not thinking right.I'm sure you've done it before too
We can't blame anyone YET.

True that people die or get hurt everyday,but does that mean we should just turn our backs away & say it's none of our businees because we don't KNOW that person personally?
People are allowed to care,that's why.
There's nothing wrong defending a stranger.
I don't even know this girl but I hope she is ok & if the worst happens,I hope her family can cope for what's yet to come.

Sure I can find an abused puppy on the side of a road and I know there's ALOT more abused animals & crap but caring & helping makes it one less a difference then none at all.It's impossible for someone to know every person that's dying in the world but at least knowing ONE or just hearing about it can give us a CHANCE to actually care and know about what's going on.

...ok,I need to shut-up now
:3
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Maybe she, like I, share the same issue of us being our harshest critics?
I know just how damaging it is to fail college courses. Parents can make you feel utterly worthless about it.

How did she even get a ticket like that in the first place? Aren't they well within the thousands?

Anyway, I'm sorry to her family she disappered. Whoever said if she wasn't an anime fan was right, I probably wouldn't care. But she's one of ours so I feel something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
How did she even get a ticket like that in the first place? Aren't they well within the thousands?

Not necessarily, and depending upon which airlines service she used, tickets can range from 600 dollars to two thousand dollars. Around this time tickets are on a little bit of a down before Golden Week time. Then they go back up again.

I am shocked at what I have seen between my first post, and the stuff before writing my second post. Some of you really have to get a grip on life here. There are some pointless things that have been said about the girl, such as saying that her looks were bad, she's a freak, and one of the people I know on this site goes out and questions the article being posted on here. Don't criticize the article, her, or what she or the measures being taken to help her out. What's done is done, and I can only think that this article posted on ANN of all places with any hope can at least minimally reduce any damage that may be done. If it's too late, at least we tried to get the word out and look out for her.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Young98 wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

In defense of my post, I was only agreeing with Young98, but I do feel some compasion for the lady. Though this whole situation doesn't add up. This whole story might of been simply she wanted a vacation, but her parents wouldn't let her.

MJP also has valid points as well.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Thousands? Depends on when she bought them and who she flew. Standard 21+ APEX fares and a good travel agent can get you to Japan for far less than you might expect. It's been going up over time though. Here are some rough approximations on my past flights to Asia off the top of my head.

2003 - $0700
2004 - $0750
2004 - $0850
2006 - $0800
2007 - $1000
2007 - $1400

In virtually every case the cost of the hotels exceeded the cost of the airfare, so I doubt her $800 would last very long unless she was staying at 24H manga cafes and either making her own meals or sticking to ramen joints and similar restaurants for food.

Last edited by daxomni on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
it must have crushed her, a hardcore anime fan who went to study japanese language and culture because of anime, to be failing at japanese language and culture.

Lesson learned: don't let anime be your life. let it be your hobby.

It's a hard thing.Videogames and anime are my life,reality is my hobby.I too tried to commit suicide,back when I was twenty,but I've got far too many things to complete in life now.Too many things to see through.Her story is hella sad.Too bad no one could get to her in time.Maybe she is still hanging in there. Sad
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
The fact of the matter is, the whole story hasn't come to light. For all the community knows, this could all be a means for the lady to escape her problems. However, she might have done something really bad or seen something she shouldn't have for as well.

There are numerous speculation guesses, but only one is probably right. Though she is a adult, so ultimately she is responsible for whatever she has done or seen.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
What makes you say she didn't open up to her family?

By the way the article here described it I mostly just assumed she didn't open up to anybody, but I guess I was wrong. Just like I was wrong about her not having any friends either as I reread both articles and it specifically said she did, and I'd like to apologize for the misunderstanding of both.

I don't know though, even though she said what she said and it should be worrisome to anyone if she says something like that, the article did still say that she didn't actually tell anybody about it. I'm not saying it's anyone's fault or anything, I'm just simply saying that it goes hand in hand if you're going to blame the ignorance of people around her that she's to blame herself for not opening up about it more than she did. And nothing against her or anything either, it's just a matter of personal responsibility, really. She's every bit as responsible for her own happiness as the people around her are is all. Simple fact of life.
Ligene

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
MJP wrote:

If this person was a non-anime fan and you heard about this just by glancing across another town's newspaper on page two, would you still care?

There's no way you can answer yes, because you wouldn't.

I'm sorry you're too myopic to understand that people die every day. Suicide is a bad thing, and if I'm a jerk for saying, quote, "It sucks that she didn't seek the help she needed, nor was she involuntarily committed since she might have been in a mental mindset as to not be able to be responsible for her own choices," then call me a jerk who thinks that ANY PERSON WHO IS SUICIDAL NEEDS SOME KIND OF HELP BEFORE THEY HURT THEMSELVES. But anyone who's saying that this is a huge tragedy, that they're praying for the family, etc. should read about every person that commits suicide in a day.

If you care, volunteer at a helpline, donate your money to suicide prevention organizations, or reach out to someone who's withdrawn. If you care about the issue, take some responsibility and do something about it. Otherwise, you're just like me: making light of suffering because there's nothing anyone can do about it.

I'd just like to note that being withdrawn doesn't necessary mean they're thinking about killing themselves. Some, like myself, enjoy being alone. Thank you.

But I agree with everything you said otherwise. I don't think it's insensitive because it's the truth. Like that kid who died because he wanted to be like Gaara a couple weeks ago, it's sad but you really don't give a sh*t in the end. You don't pray (if you're one to do so) for a stranger every night; unless you're a very compassionate soul, you won't dwell on it for more then a five minute period of "That's so sad." It's human nature, unless you actually knew the person on a personal level.

But I still hope she's found, alive or dead.
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Houlgrave wrote:
[snip - b]

For crissakes, can we have some mod action on this thread?!

[Working on it. -b]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10