• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Fan Disappears in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I hope if she died, she died happy.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote

I suppose I'm different from a lot of other people here. I don't just read news from ANN, and actually, there are certain articles that catch my eye, though I hear a lot them everyday from local or CNN.

This is a saddening article; considering how worried her family would be. And for people who don't care, I don't understand why you would want to post. you can just bypass this thread without any 2nd thoughts.

Next to that, it's horrible to even talk about how "unattractive" she is when it has nothing to do with the article. I can see how this thread could get locked soon because of the stupidity that has been generated at a high rate.

Regardless, hopefully she is found alive. Being alone is very sad, and I'm surprised that even with her "Escape," she still couldn't find anyone to open up to. I'm sure she had a lot of potential that she couldn't have found in herself, I just wonder if her family had noticed her grades slipping and anything that would've at least triggered them to do this before it was too late.

However, she was 21 years old...so...it's kind of complicated. She needed not to tell anyone where she was either...

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
So she chose to commit suicide in Japan? That's sad.

I hope that the family will find her body soon so that they can have closure.

Isn't the fact that the suicide note was unsent proof that she didn't intend to die? If she had a suicide note, and planned to suicide, why didn't she send it? She could be still alive. When touring a foreign country, it would be easy to get caught up in some remote area where you wouldn't be easily found.

She left to Japan with $800 in cash and then there is the stuff from ABC News. The cash won't last long.

A flight with 2 stops from Hartford Conneticut to Hakodate cost $1426-2640 one way via Expedia. Not too mention the need for a passport and possibly a travel physical. I say that she planned this one out in advance.

She also could have decided to email her family from her destination point.

Either way, that poor girl....
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Isn't the fact that the suicide note was unsent proof that she didn't intend to die? If she had a suicide note, and planned to suicide, why didn't she send it? She could be still alive. When touring a foreign country, it would be easy to get caught up in some remote area where you wouldn't be easily found.

She left to Japan with $800 in cash and then there is the stuff from ABC News. The cash won't last long.

A flight with 2 stops from Hartford Conneticut to Hakodate cost $1426-2640 one way via Expedia. Not too mention the need for a passport and possibly a travel physical. I say that she planned this one out in advance.

It costs a grip of money to go to Japan.Eight hundred ain't going to do it,and I didn't see anything saying she had a passport either?I'm guessing so If her family (Mom) is still there looking for her.It would suck for them if she's still in the U.S.,and her family is on a wild goose chase.
sdsyukichan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I saw this a couple days ago on 4chan (yeah, screw rules 1&2) and I totally didn't think it was real.

Poor girl. I hope wherever she is, that she's still alive. Nothing is bad enough to warrant committing suicide. Nothing.

Hopefully someone, somewhere will find her and get her back home.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
xstylus wrote:
Houlgrave wrote:
Also, that's one hell of a bad pic: I wouldn't hit that even if I was paid. :/

For crissakes, can we have some mod action on this thread?!

I asked and reported the very first comment that was made about her looks.

Sadly I did that hours ago with no avail. Crying or Very sad

Indeed, sorry for the delay. Let's keep it respectful folks and on topic. This isn't hotornot.com, so let's try to keep that commentary to ourselves. Let's keep it civil and about the event in the article, not rate her appearance, it's disrespectful and unnecessary for this discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
xstylus wrote:
Young98 wrote:
attractive? have you seen the picture?

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
On a much less seriousness note, I do agree with you on her looks.

[snip]Lots of comments chastising callous, thoughtless, inconsiderate asshats.[/snip]
In defense of my post, I was only agreeing with Young98, but I do feel some compasion for the lady.

[banging head against table]
"I was only agreeing?" Sir, the notion that you see that as a valid defense makes my head explode. You, and several others, obviously know absolutely nothing about tact.

If one person is rude and other people add to the rudeness, that doesn't make the first person completely to blame for everyone else's rudeness.

With all due respect, at least I didn't write how being ugly can make one's self esteem down and the later effects of that. I still however agree with Young98, as this is my opion after all.

Besides this chick is an adult, so I know she must of thought of the consequences. I am not blaming others though, what happens with them is their business, not mine.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

It costs a grip of money to go to Japan.Eight hundred ain't going to do it,and I didn't see anything saying she had a passport either?I'm guessing so If her family (Mom) is still there looking for her.It would suck for them if she's still in the U.S.,and her family is on a wild goose chase.

Well, I would hope that they had confirmation that she passed thru imigration in Japan before going thru all of this.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

That's what credit cards are for. When I was 21, I had a card with a $2000 limit... more than enough for a one-way ticket.

She stayed at an inn in Hokkaido, so she definitely made it to Japan and, therefore, definitely has a passport.

I hope for the best, but I doubt it.

The rest of you should keep your comments about the young woman's looks to yourself. What YOU think she looks like (pretty or not) not relevant or useful. ANN should not have included a picture in the first place. That way this thread would be filled with "I wonder what she looks like" comments instead. Rolling Eyes
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
But the picture is necessary for "If you've seen this girl, please report to...". Besides, it's posted over at ABC News.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
possibly a travel physical.

Eh? Not in this case.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
It costs a grip of money to go to Japan. Eight hundred ain't going to do it

Backpackers can visit Japan for next to nothing. We may pay 20,000 yen for a night in a decent hotel but they're paying 2,500 yen to stay in a mangakissa or they're pitching a tent somewhere.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
and I didn't see anything saying she had a passport either?I'm guessing so If her family (Mom) is still there looking for her.It would suck for them if she's still in the U.S.,and her family is on a wild goose chase.

This doesn't sound like any wild goose chase to me. Japan instituted additional immigration steps last November, including fingerprinting and photographing of virtually all gaijin. Unless you traveled to Japan prior to November 2007 or you're a VIP or a diplomat your details will be in Japan's gaijin database. I seriously doubt the embassies and consulates would be involved if there was no substantive evidence that she was in Japan.
Emichan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Japan instituted additional immigration steps last November, including fingerprinting and photographing of virtually all gaijin. Unless you traveled to Japan prior to November 2007 or you're a VIP or a diplomat your details will be in Japan's gaijin database. I seriously doubt the embassies and consulates would be involved if there was no substantive evidence that she was in Japan.

Hmm, that must have been in late in the month, because when I went to Japan last November, I wasn't fingerprinted.

At any rate, I hope she is found. If she is staying at inns, the money she has is no doubt gone by now. The train ticket must have been expensive as well. I wish her family the best of luck!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

That's what credit cards are for. When I was 21, I had a card with a $2000 limit... more than enough for a one-way ticket.

She stayed at an inn in Hokkaido, so she definitely made it to Japan and, therefore, definitely has a passport.

I hope for the best, but I doubt it.

The rest of you should keep your comments about the young woman's looks to yourself. What YOU think she looks like (pretty or not) not relevant or useful. ANN should not have included a picture in the first place. That way this thread would be filled with "I wonder what she looks like" comments instead. Rolling Eyes

Yeah,you are right.My bad.They must be waiting or hoping she(or whoever for all we know)tries using her card again.I feel bad for her family.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
MJP wrote:
Hell, maybe she just wanted a vacation and mommy and daddy wouldn't give her the money even though she was failing school.

Thought it is phrased a bit insensitively and a bit of an overstatement, I think it is also a valid point in some ways.

It's awfully tough to say whether she went to Japan to commit suicide or just ran away to Japan. Both are very extreme actions to take that could likely stem from depression and dissatisfaction with your current life. The suicide note would certainly seem to indicate she planned to kill herself but then again, she decided not to send it so who knows. It could also have been meant to stop people from coming looking for her. It's really tough to say without knowing her or having more details what her intentions actually were. I dunno, maybe I'm being too optimistic. Either way though I hope they find her.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
What I have read makes me think that she HAS gone to Japan to commit suicide. Which, for anyone, is a really sad thing to do.

I just hope that she is found before she hurts herself. But the fact that she didn't bring any clothes with her...well, that just doesn't sound good at all. And if it is too late, then I hope that her family will be able to bring her back home.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10