• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Fan Disappears in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalachan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Well having bummed around Hokkaido I can tell you a few things.

One,Unless she purchased a train pass then her chances of getting out of Hokkaido are slim. She only had 800 they said.

She was last seen in Noboribetsu. My belief is that she spend a lot of money before she got to Sapporo. If she had Hokkaido & Higashinihon Pass then she had five days to travel where ever. There are so many options that it's got to be hard. Also Japan being a cash society she's untraceable.

If she did make it to Sapporo then it's easy to get lost in the crowd. They should start checking manga kissa (internet cafe) because they are cheep and close to everything.

She may have planned to kill herself after she ran out of money which begs the question "Where would she do it?" If you are out of money and resources it's not easy.

I think she is in Sapporo if she is still alive. I hope they find her but I hope that she has learned something from this but at the same time I think if she felt like this was the last thing she wanted to do. She would have killed herself by now. April 7th was a long time ago and 800 dollars isn't a lot of money for a tourist. Unless she had saved up a lot more that her family didn't know about.
anime_lord1989

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
she might be alive somewhere........she might have read a manga about someone starting their life in a new place with no money or enything to support her self..........as for the suicide note who knows she might have tought about it but in the end she didn't do it......but i hoppe they find her alive.......somewhere in japan.........if not it will be really sad for our fellow OTAKU to have commited such thing.......best wishes to the family.......in their search for her......
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I too am disgusted by a lot of comments on this thread.

Let's face it, there's a lot of shit out there in this world, and the rate at which people die is enough to make anyone feel small and insignificant; to throw up their hands helplessly and say, "The problem's too big! I can't do anything about it!" I understand where that line of thinking comes from, but seriously, shame on you for sticking to it. You might not be able to fix the problem as a whole, but you can fix it for a substantial amount of people!

And what's wrong if you start with one person?

Thanks ANN for posting this. There are quite a few of us readers who live in Japan, and will be on alert for this. I hope Skye shows up on my doorstep, as the people from my church will love her like there's no tomorrow. And for the one who asked: yes, I DO regularly pray for people that I don't know. One person CAN make a difference, they just have to choose to be resilient and go against the grain.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Emichan wrote:
Hmm, that must have been in late in the month, because when I went to Japan last November, I wasn't fingerprinted.

November 20th IIRC.

Emichan wrote:
At any rate, I hope she is found. If she is staying at inns, the money she has is no doubt gone by now. The train ticket must have been expensive as well. I wish her family the best of luck!

There are lots of trains in Japan, including relatively slow and cheap versions. If you're not worried about speed then you can travel around Japan for less money that you might think.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Psycho101 wrote:
Callous, cold things

Sorry reality got in the way of your mecha and moe fantasies. Anime is a smaller community than it feels like sometimes, and deaths and disappearances are news, especially under unusual circumstances, and even more so when peril may be involved.

I can't help but wonder if the mainstream entertainment media get this sort of nastiness every time they write about people some readers don't care about, or are we just blessed with a certain class of soulless people among us.

Nice, I see you have to resort to petty insults to make a point Justin. You want reality? The reality is this is a big deal because it's another poor little WHITE GIRL that's missing. Where are the articles about some black or latina (or any other minority) girls or boys that are missing that happen to be in anime clubs eh? I don't see them up here or in the news. Also, if I were her parents or someone interested in helping her I would not be looking to an anime forum for tips on where my daughter might be. This is not the FBI's missing person's database.

And if you want real reality thousands of people die every damn day. Where's your bleeding heart for them? Where's your bleeding heart for the thousands of children dying from malnutrition in Africa for example? No let's make a big deal over one girl from the states who flew to Japan because she simply couldn't handle life any more. I'm sorry but if she is truly honestly going there to commit suicide I won't shed a tear. Suicide is selfish and a cowards way out from dealing with life like the rest of people. Life isn't a bed of roses all the time, deal with it. I am sorry if she has depression and I am sorry for her family but guess what, there's always another choice. End of story. You can call me cold, soulless, and callous all you bloody well want but I am simply realistic. Thousands of innocent people die daily but I suppose the rest of them aren't sensational enough for your tastes right? If she decided to throw her life away then I won't lose any sleep. She made that choice herself. I'm supposed to cry for some girl who simply can't handle life for whatever reason while other children die of starvation or disease daily but continue to live on until the last second in hopes of something better?

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm supposed to cry for some girl who simply can't handle life for whatever reason while other children die of starvation or disease daily but continue to live on until the last second in hopes of something better?

You don't have to cry but it would be nice to show her some respect. I mean, why not? I don't see why showing concern for one girl implies you can't show concern for others. It seems like we could discuss other folks in bad situations in another thread in the community forum if that's really where you want to take this.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, with the suicide note you can go ahead and chalk this up as a loss. That sucks. Being an anime fan, you'd think going to japan would be like ultimate happy. But they said she was failing school and all that, maybe she was like, "After this trip my life is downhill."

Ehh, I find it hard to be sorry for folk who commit suicide though. But condolences to her family.
feytaline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Every life is precious.

It doesn't matter if you are a confused, scared teenager whose only trap is your own mind, or someone imprisoned by another's physical restraints. EVERY LIFE MATTERS. It's ridiculous to think that you should spend every second of your life fretting over people you don't know, but whenever you're touched by one, there is no shame in caring.

I don't know this girl. I don't have to. I don't have to know and care and understand her situation to say damn, I really hope she finds her way home safely. Same thing I'd say if someone wants to be a jerk and say "omg, what about this (insert starving orphan example here)" off topic comment.

Life isn't easy and the world can be a cruel place. You can make it better by having a tiny bit of compassion and realizing no, you don't know everything and yeah, things that might seem 'stupid and selfish' to you aren't so easily understood when you're the person actually suffering through them.

I really hope she finds her way.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm supposed to cry for some girl who simply can't handle life for whatever reason while other children die of starvation or disease daily but continue to live on until the last second in hopes of something better?

You don't have to cry but it would be nice to show her some respect. I mean, why not? I don't see why showing concern for one girl implies you can't show concern for others. It seems like we could discuss other folks in bad situations in another thread in the community forum if that's really where you want to take this.

I never said showing concern for this girl means it can't be shown for others now did I Dax? However I choose to show concern to those that have no choice first over those that do have a choice but throw it away needlessly. As for showing respect, I have no respect for those that throw their life away like this. It's incredibly selfish if nothing else. Why should I bother to show respect and sympathy for someone who can't be bothered to show the same for the feelings of her own family? Has she even bothered to think how this might destroy her parents? I said I was sorry she is dealing with depression it seems and that maybe she's gotten the raw deal in life some but that's as far as my respect goes. If that makes me a cold hearted, worthless, SOB then oh well. I'll just have to find some way to live with myself somehow. Maybe I'll just go indulge in my mecha and moe fantasies some more. Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
Dear Internet,

Being callous, rude, insensitive, mean-spirited, and shallow does not mean that they will chisel "THIS GUY WAS A BADASS" on your tombstone.

Nobody thinks you're awesome because you posted some mean, asinine crap about a girl who died. You're not an internet hero for being the first, second, third or fiftieth to be as awful as you possibly can about someone's death. Because there are a mountain of other losers doing the same thing you are, and everyone hates them too.

This isn't some kind of plea for sympathy for this person, but please stop thinking that you're totally awesome for being a giant irritating self-impressed douchebag because you're rampantly mean-spirited about someone's death. Nobody's impressed, nobody cares.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
The reality is this is a big deal because it's another poor little WHITE GIRL that's missing. Where are the articles about some black or latina (or any other minority) girls or boys that are missing that happen to be in anime clubs eh? I don't see them up here or in the news.

Does an Asian girl who wasn't in an anime club count?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2004-12-23/manga-about-victim-of-korean-kidnapping
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-19/megumi-manga-about-girl-abducted-by-n-korea-gets-anime
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-28/megumi-anime-about-girl-abducted-by-n-korea-posted

But back on topic, if there was another female or male of any race that traveled to Japan, apparently on an anime-inspired trip without notification, and simply disappeared, I think that would be news too. Not 24-hour-cable-news-channel, this-is-day-57-of-missing-girl-watch, but worth just one news mention. That's pretty rare, no matter what.

Last edited by testorschoice on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Actually, there were 3 deaths that were newsworthy in Japan that were not anime related but kind of relates to this one if she didn't commit suicide.

I hope that she is found alive.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Nice, I see you have to resort to petty insults to make a point Justin. You want reality? The reality is this is a big deal because it's another poor little WHITE GIRL that's missing. Where are the articles about some black or latina (or any other minority) girls or boys that are missing that happen to be in anime clubs eh? I don't see them up here or in the news. Also, if I were her parents or someone interested in helping her I would not be looking to an anime forum for tips on where my daughter might be. This is not the FBI's missing person's database.

Psycho, I am trying to figure out where you're going with all this, and let me say something about it. The reason why this has come up on ANN is probably because ANN received a tip about this, it involves a girl who has gone to Japan, and it was a known fact that she was in an anime club. Japan and anime are well above 90% of what ANN reports about here. I'm sure that if ANN were to get tips about other people who have gone missing and they were anime club members, they would report it. Also, I think you're being unfair when you're trying to say that we're all worried because she's a white girl.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Dear Internet,

Being callous, rude, insensitive, mean-spirited, and shallow does not mean that they will chisel "THIS GUY WAS A BADASS" on your tombstone.

Nobody thinks you're awesome because you posted some mean, asinine crap about a girl who died. You're not an internet hero for being the first, second, third or fiftieth to be as awful as you possibly can about someone's death. Because there are a mountain of other losers doing the same thing you are, and everyone hates them too.

This isn't some kind of plea for sympathy for this person, but please stop thinking that you're totally awesome for being a giant irritating self-impressed douchebag because you're rampantly mean-spirited about someone's death. Nobody's impressed, nobody cares.

Wow, you act as if I give a rats ass what you or anyone else thinks Zac. And the whole "I think I'm some badass" or " I think I'm awesome and am impressed" parts just make me laugh. As do your petty insults in the guise of witty retorts. And if all you can do is simply throw petty insults out then I see you're a one trick pony. Seriously, I would think you'd at least have one actual decent sentence in that post of yours beyond petty insults and self righteous tirades. I don't care if anyone agrees with me. I don't care if anyone thinks I'm being mean or cold. You can make all the silly little mean spirited assumptions you want about me Zac, and make all the petty insults you like and lower yourself in the process. The simple fact is suicide is a coward's way out IMO and I refuse to pretend to be full of sympathy for some girl who seemingly (I say seemingly since despite how you and everyone else is talking no one knows if she is dead or not but many of you seem to be jumping the gun on that one anyway) has thrown her life away for nothing simply because it's the nice thing to do. Sorry, I would love to fall into that nice "woe is her" line of thinking but unfortunately I don't feel that way. She's not just pointlessly throwing her life away, she's also helping to ruin the lives of her family and friends without a second thought it seems.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
This fourm now reminds of a conversation I had with a fellow anime fan friend of mine. I'll skip all the details except for the most important sentence. "Words and actions keep on going in circles, not solving anything."

I won't lie and say I didn't say anything irevelent, but now this fourm is going in circles about having sympathey about a lady who could VERY well be reading all these posts in a internet cafe safe and sound.

Fact of the matter is, FEW people know the entire story without the speculation and drama. Until there is new information about this case, people will continue going in ciricles.

However, the reality of life isn't all flowers and smiles. This lady knew what she was about to do or planned to do could cause a nightmarish hell for her family and yet probably went ahead and did this plan of action anyway.

Compassion is needed, but so is reality.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10