• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Del Rey's Manga-Inspired X-Men, Wolverine Images Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm also having trouble reasoning why Beast looks like the secret love-child of Totoro and the Tootsie Roll Owl.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Needs more fanservice.

For guys and gals. Razz
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:

One thing that I found borderline creepy about her presentation in this one, is that it looks like the cap she wears is actually phased into her skull/head at times to simulate ears. And why the cat motif, other than to have the obvious "her name's 'Kitty' so lets make her a nekomusume-moe" idea?

I actually like it. When you think about it, it's perfectly in keeping with the idea of a teenage girl who is still finding herself- she gets the name "Shadowcat", and to be unique she runs with it and plays up the cat motif as part of her identity.

I also think people are being a little harsh on OEL because- well, this is Marvel/DC we're talking about, and most of their stuff is crap. Oh, don't get me wrong, at any given time they are publishing titles worth reading, but for each of those there are five other that are stupid, boring, cliche, lame, or pandering incompetently to a target demographic. Not to mention the creators constantly at war with editors, marketing, other creators, fans, and their own pretensions. Apparently quietly sitting at your desk and turning in your work on-time and high-quality doesn't do much for your career in comics- you have to be acting like a screaming internet retard and/or exposing yourself to the slings and arrows of said retards. Not easy since they tend to aim both at your crotch.

Metaphorically speaking, of course. Mostly.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Kitty Pride looks exactly like Nana (the singer) from Nana.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
I actually like it. When you think about it, it's perfectly in keeping with the idea of a teenage girl who is still finding herself- she gets the name "Shadowcat", and to be unique she runs with it and plays up the cat motif as part of her identity.

Yeah, but using the whole cat ears motif doesn't fit well with how she got the name originally. (She chose it herself for very specific reasons during a time of identity crisis, and it stuck because it was so vastly better than the previous two code names she came up with - "Sprite" and "Ariel." Ick!) The whole cat thing was always more a product of her real name than her self-image or demeanor. These sketches are trying to pervert it into something else.

Quote:
I also think people are being a little harsh on OEL because- well, this is Marvel/DC we're talking about, and most of their stuff is crap. Oh, don't get me wrong, at any given time they are publishing titles worth reading, but for each of those there are five other that are stupid, boring, cliche, lame, or pandering incompetently to a target demographic.

Of course, the same could also be said of a lot of manga out there, too. (Especially shojo titles, for some reason.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:

I also think people are being a little harsh on OEL because- well, this is Marvel/DC we're talking about, and most of their stuff is crap. Oh, don't get me wrong, at any given time they are publishing titles worth reading, but for each of those there are five other that are stupid, boring, cliche, lame, or pandering incompetently to a target demographic.

Of course, the same could also be said of a lot of manga out there, too. (Especially shojo titles, for some reason.)

Yes, exactly. It happens, and we bash titles for it, sometimes even entire publishers. But we never bash the medium itself, or if we do, we're not serious enough about it to go read something else.
alpha8147

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Both the new character designs for the upcoming X-Men manga and Moebius Giraud's recent Japan bashing rant are awful.
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty happy with the Wolverine artwork, far better than I feared! It looks good, and with Johnston writing, it should definitely read well. Looking forward to it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2