• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Name consistency

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucia Black 13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Right now I can't see what kanji you typed there, but it is not "nahibi". "Na" is a particle, made explicit by the fact that is it in hiragana and the following character is kanji. The whole name is quite clearly delinated by script used

tachikoma (katakana)|na (hiragana)|hibi (kanji)

Tachikoma is obvious.
na: One of those "I kinda know what is means but can't explain it" things.
Hibi: Daily
like I said I removed the "na" on the second attempt. If you can't see the characters I put in then you can't defend your reasoning. ひび can you see them?

Its "hibi" in hiragana which I used the same engine as you which didn't bring anything with katakana hibi, it brought multiple with hiragana hibi but with other spelling next to it. A few involved daily a few equal ammount to cracks.

@ Teriyaki Terrier: yes I do agree the timing was prettty good considering some users were making this unreasonably personal. But I guess its dealt with now.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
The machine I was on at the time (and am on again now) cannot display Japanese text.

There are many hononyms that you can spell with the same kana - context is king. If you're standing on a golf course and someone yells "duck!" you don't go looking around for something with a bill and feathers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lucia Black 13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The machine I was on at the time (and am on again now) cannot display Japanese text.

There are many hononyms that you can spell with the same kana - context is king. If you're standing on a golf course and someone yells "duck!" you don't go looking around for something with a bill and feathers.

I think this has gone long enough. The point is naming conventions with news should use the official name when available. I can definitely understand tachikoma na hibi not using the official english title when refering to the manga as it wasn't released in english but not when referring with the cg short.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
OK, this machine is not Japanese impaired. Let us return to your original point:

Quote:
they are merely pronounced the same in japanese but both use different kanji changing the meaning. The kanji of the tv short series translates as "a daily tachikoma" which makes sense why the official english title being tachikomatic days. The manga however translates as "tachikoma cracks"

As dormcat already explained:
dormcat wrote:
The manga illustrated by Masayuki Yamamoto has the title タチコマなヒビ, which is the same as the anime title タチコマな日々, with only 日々 written in katakana ヒビ. It is not 皹 (skin cracks) or 罅 (porcelain cracks) you're talking about -- those two kanji are very obscure and I bet most Japanese don't use them in daily lives.

Japanese has three different scripts (four including Romaji). Kanji, which is a logogram, and the two phonograms, katakana and hiragana. Japanese words are normally written phonetically in hiragana while foreign words are normally written in katakana but this is not a rule; the two are entirely interchangeable and it is common to switch from one to the other for emphasis (the way we might right a word in CAPITALS).

Therefore:
日々 (kanji) = ひび (hiragana) = ヒビ (katakana) = hibi (romaji)

Using kana rather than kanji does make it ambiguous UNTIL you take context into account, which is something google translate cannot do. In this case the context is the manga adaptation of a series of animated shorts about the daily lives of the Tachikoma.

Yes, Google does indeed translate タチコマなヒビ as "Tachikoma Cracks", but then it also inexplicable translates Monthly Young Magazine (月刊ヤングマガジン) as "Young Kiwi"
(seriously, it translates "月刊" as "Monthly" and "ヤングマガジン" as "Young Magazine" but put them together..?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lucia Black 13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
We really don't need to discuss this now. Point already came across. Pointless to argue oversecondary things now. CEO recognized the problem as a note worthy issue and we should be ebcouraged to do the same if we find similar situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2