• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dirty Pair: Affair on Nolandia DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:21 am Reply with quote
Zac, Your showing your age again me old son. Wink

But after reading it I had various questions pop up in my brain. What happens to old anime fans? I mean I know what happened to me, and the chance event that re-ignited the anime gas burner back in 2000. But is it just a passing fad that only has it's moment in youth, to be forgotten when the pressures of modern life take affect? Is it the case that any anime that is out of date will be condemned to oblivion by the young who are just unaware? Are the old classics really just not worth the effort of revival in their original state? Is updating an older production really going to improve it, or make it more popular? I look at what has happened to Final Fantasy in it's history as an example for that question even though it started life as a video game. All daunting questions. I feel the answer to most of them is "No, not necessarily" Because I hope I'm not the only old git in the world who still likes sci-fi fantasies that just happen to be animated in Japan. Wink
M_Lileks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Because I hope I'm not the only old git in the world who still likes sci-fi fantasies that just happen to be animated in Japan. Wink

Heh, not at all Mohawk, I'm an old sci-fi/fantasy industry publishing vet pushing 40 who has enjoyed anime since the mid-80's. Topping myself is my older brother, who was in some of the earliest anime clubs out in LA. Their subset was fare like "Kimba" and "Prince Planet". "Dirty Pair" was my original anime love, and came at a time long before teen angst was prefered over good ol' fashioned fun.

To echo your thoughts abit, your statement of "sci-fi fan who enjoys anime" sort of illuminates the plight of older fans and the direction of anime today. While there was a shift in fan type between the first fans of the 70's into the 80's, in my opinion the real change came in the early 90's, and would herald a shift from anime as entertainment to anime as social lifestyle.

I believe many older fans, who are coming from a background of literate fantasy/sci-fi, enjoyed anime for it's spirit of fun and visual style. Many, myself included, are also fans of animation in general, and would have been remiss to not check out such an entertaining vein. After the early 90's, it seemed the newer generation began using anime as a social field, ie. using Japanese honorifics, dub's became the Devils brew for reasons other than poor quality, cosplay etc. Even worse, sometimes it seems that anime is the only source of fantasy entertainment for many kids today. I think this has taken anime down the path where the maturity of much (but not all) dramatic content is vastly over-stated.

Of course, I'm just an old married crank who would have preferred to see Tenchi flummox his way through romantic misadventures forever rather than wade into water-thin space opera plotlines, so maybe I'm just an old "Dirty Pair" dinosaur after all. Wink
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Here here!

I too remember the fun days of anime, when it supplemented healthy interests in sci-fi, regular comic books, and fantasy novels.

The new breed of fans is so caught up in making anime look like a new thing, making it look cutting edge and avant garde. They toss around ideas like "Is anime getting too mainstream?" and "Anime is anime because it's from Japan." They get all hyped about originality and "preserving anime as it is".

All the "old school" fans I talk with just laugh and shake their heads when you bring up such topics.

I dunno, it seems to me the people who get more enjoyment out of the serious series and have more fun with the goofy series are the older fans.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big Dirty Pair enthusiast myself. I'm 20 hehe

So then, 25th anniversary panel at acen woot

But to the point, Nolandia is not the best in the franchise and I have yet to see it. Although I've seen alot of pictures and reviews over the years.

I say judge all things and people based on themselves not others. I dunno what I'd give it, but calling it moldy doesn't mean anything to me.
The Spatula

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:26 pm Reply with quote
First off, I'd like to say that I have the actual VHS tape from Streamline Pictures, and despite being a Dirty Pair fan, I have no idea why I haven't used this as a projectile weapon. Without a doubt, this is certainly not one of the better animations to come out of this franchise (although, watching the bloody card in action was a highlight).

I looked into the review, and I was wondering what all of the hooplah was about. Here, I noticed something odd -

Quote:
The two women they have voicing Kei and Yuri are lifeless, tepid amateurs who can’t act.

I remember the dub being pretty poor, but I thought that ADV would re-dub it, instead of using the original Streamline Dub. Curious, I looked up the entry in the encyclopedia and it lists:

Quote:
Lara Cody as Kei
Wendee Lee as Yuri

Was this really their first work? Did someone mess up the credits? Was ADV just lazy and didn't actually redub this title? Hmm...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:00 am Reply with quote
Oooo. Now I'm confused. Is "Nolandia" an old dub that was reissued? Or a resent addition to the original? I don't know about Ms. Cody, but Ms Lee. is well known for her excellent talent and abilities. Question Confused

I've only seen DP Flash. which I quite liked. In that one Kei seemed like a right Dutch boy and Yuri was a right slag. But the storys were sometimes quite good. Good enough to want to see more of them. Wink
eva05

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I too remember the fun days of anime, when it supplemented healthy interests in sci-fi, regular comic books, and fantasy novels. All the "old school" fans I talk with just laugh and shake their heads when you bring up such topics.

Hell those fun days are still here for me Anime smile

I love the original Dirty Pair stuff...I actually have the LD set somehwere Anime smile;

It's funny because, while I passionately love anime I realize there's more to life. Novels, comics (non-manga), live action movies and tv series(The Shield!!!) haha

j
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1