• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Dub Club

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qollocust

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, but I don't think many people would buy it.

I wouldn't mind seeing these, but I don't want to spend the money on it
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
it seems more like something that should be an extra on a dvd...instead of a dvd in its self
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it does seem like it would be more suited for an "extra." Plus, it's ongoing...I wonder how many they're planning to make?
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested, but I dabble in theatre and student film, so interviews with actors in general are of interest to me.

Anyone who's looking to start a career in dub acting will want to see it. That should check out the Rahxephon DVDs; a couple of them have long interviews with english VAs.

How much will this disk cost? Price point will be a key factor; I doubt it costs much to make, so they will keep the price reasonable if they're wise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it's $9.99.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I think its around $10
tetsusaiga-kyo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what kind of retailers will carry this dvd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyle Hebert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys,
I wanted to chime in and respond to some of the feedback regarding my dvd. The popularity of dubs and dub actor panels at conventions is definitely on the rise. I felt that interviews should go beyond just a DVD extra. Sure, its a niche product, but I think there is a segment of anime fandom that would be interested in seeing the faces behind the voices, how they act when they're just hanging out. Plus the cost is very reasonable for an hour of content (10 bucks plus shipping.. order info on my site at www.kylehebert.com).

The emphasis with these interview DVDs is fun and general insanity. Its definitely very "homegrown" in that I am burning these discs myself, no corporate sponsorship, no retail chains distributing it. It will be available only on my website and any of my appearances. Because of its limited appeal, I openly accept it won't be a huge moneymaker. I'm very passionate about my career and I consider myself of fan of voice actors, and if I'm able to defer some of the costs of maintaining my site (paying for a PO box, server costs, promotional materials), then great. But I really just wanted to offer the anime marketplace something that's never been a focus before, just for dub fans.

Sincerely,
Kyle Hebert
www.kylehebert.com
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Looks cool. I've met Monica Rial, Greg Ayres. Now I wish the set included interviews with Amanda Win Lee (she's hillarious), her husband (also voice actor) and Scott McNeil (he's the coolest). Speaking of Amanda if only the DVD including a topless pic of I would run out and buy like 10 copies (I'm not a pervert but I've her so many stories about her... and from her husband too! BTW, does anybody knows what I'm talking about?).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Looks cool. I've met Monica Rial, Greg Ayres. Now I wish the set included interviews with Amanda Win Lee (she's hillarious), her husband (also voice actor) and Scott McNeil (he's the coolest). Speaking of Amanda if only the DVD including a topless pic of I would run out and buy like 10 copies (I'm not a pervert but I've her so many stories about her... and from her husband too! BTW, does anybody knows what I'm talking about?).

Congratulations, you're a pig.

-Z
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
I would buy it, but I don't have a Paypal account nor a credit card. Crying or Very sad
Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:00 am Reply with quote
Pretty cool. Usually you don't find this type of thing in the 'States; but voice actors/actresses in Japan enjoy a rather different type of celebrity status than in the U.S. I remember chuckling to myself when I was rummaging in a second hand CD/DVD shop in Osaka and came across a neat little item, a disc with interviews with various idols and voice actors. They even had the Excel Girls perform for it; kinda cool.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Proman wrote:

Congratulations, you're a pig.

-Z

Congratulations, you have no sense of humor. I was just joking (and at was sort of an anside joke). Believe me, if you knew what I was talking about you wouldn't have called me a pig. By the way I think this DVD is a cool idea and I hope there will be interviews with other VA's in the future. I found from personal experience that some of them are quite interesting people who have a lot to say (Scott McNeil, Richard Cox and Amanda Win Lee among my favorites). As Bishop already pointed out, VA's are not as famous in US as they are in Japan and that's one of the reasons why they like to visit conventions and do such interivews- those are the only times when they truly feel like celebrities and it's a great way for us to get to know them better.
Kyle Hebert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
You're in luck........volume 2 should include Amanda/Jason Lee, Scott McNeil and more TBA. Future volumes will also feature Brian Drummond, Bob Bergen, Carrie Savage, and any VA I can get in front of a video camera.

Anyone interested in ordering the DVD, can go to:
http://www.kylehebert.com/tdcdvd01.htm
You don't have to pay by Paypal. You can send a check, money order, or well concealed cash. There is a PO box addy given on the link. The disc will ship in late March.
Wolf Tooth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Sound good, except I don't like the fact that you don't have David Kaye. He has one of the most amazing voice talents i've ever known(from the small and anoying, to the flamboyant and poetic)!

Last edited by Wolf Tooth on Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2