• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hai Fidelity - Asian Kung-Fu Generation: World World World

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Just saying we need more j-metal (extreme metal, preferably) and progressive music (rock)! Razz

What we really need is more enka. More enka for everybody!
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Just saying we need more j-metal (extreme metal, preferably) and progressive music (rock)! Razz

Listen to BORIS & Electric Eel Shock, then. That's Japanese metal at its finest. Metalchicks are also a great choice.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
ANBUx3 wrote:

Great column, I appreciate the music clip. I'd like to know who does the album art for AKG. I like the style. On this cover, that bunny girl looks more than a little like Haruhi, anyone else think?

Thank you Anime smile Sorry that I missed your question at first. Their album artwork is usually done by Yusuke Nakamura. I believe this stands true for this album but I don't have my copy with me right now to check the liner notes.

Here we go:
The illustration is done by Yusuke Nakamura and the design is done by Central67.

Monsieur Pink wrote:
Just saying we need more j-metal (extreme metal, preferably) and progressive music (rock)!

Recommend me some anime-related j-metal and I'll look into it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fireline

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I was really underwhelmed by this album. I had huge hopes for AKFG. Houkai Amplifier was pretty good, Kimi Tsunagi Five M was very good, and Sol-fa was/is incredible. However, Fanclub was a HUGE letdown, and World World World is even worse than that. They've gone from an energetic band with a specialized style to a lazy, lifeless band with completely formulaic songwriting. If asked, I would categorize myself an AKFG fan, but I'm wholly disappointed by their direction the last couple years.

Regarding criticism directed towards this column's choice of review material: I understand that everyone's tastes are varied and may differ from the material covered in this column so far, but this column's not that old! Not one album I like has been reviewed, actually, but I'm giving it a chance to get there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:46 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Just saying we need more j-metal (extreme metal, preferably) and progressive music (rock)!

That new "Detroit Metal City" tribute album should be up your alley, then.
BananaOrNoBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
World World World starts off with the song of the same name. Generally, AFG albums start off with a rocking song. This time around, we are given a mellow instrumental. With “woah” being the only vocals on the song, all of instruments mix together to give you a sort of ‘wave on the ocean’ feel.

I always thought they said "World, World, World"? Maybe that's just me. Anime dazed

young98 wrote:
i remember first listening to "Haruka Kanata" from Naruto, and i was hooked on AKFG. i liked "rewrite" even more, and the other anime OP they had were good too.

Same here. I've been listening to them ever since hearing their distinct style, namely the voice. But admittedly, after listening to them for awhile, a lot of the songs sound the same for the same reason that made them so distinct, if that makes any sense. Anime dazed
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
I hope we see that reviewed soon along with Utada Hikaru's "HEART STATION", which was released April 29th, of this year.

HEART STATION's review should just consist of "This is one of the best J-Pop albums ever. Hikki is the best." Laughing

Honestly what's there bad to say about it...the only thing even remotely close to a problem I had with it might have been that I disagreed with the track order a little, but she pretty much continues to top herself with every album, haha.

On topic, yeah this is much more of the same from AKFG...good for fans, not great for not-so-fans (like myself). Personally I prefer bands like L'Arc & H&MC, each with their certain unique sound, or like X Japan.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Here we go:
The illustration is done by Yusuke Nakamura and the design is done by Central67.

Ah, thank you.

May I suggest a review for D'espairsRay? Their newest album is Mirror. Its Japan release was a year ago, but it's now available in the US. Their myspace labels them Goth/Rock/Industrial, though I dare say their music's a lot more catchy than that sounds. I personally love this CD.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
I am hoping to cover the D'espairsRay album at some point. Right now, I'm not sure when it will happen but I will try my best to fit it in soon.

And I will add the "Detroit Metal City" tribute album to my next order.

Keep up with the suggestions! Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

That's the tough part. Smile

omnistry wrote:
Listen to BORIS & Electric Eel Shock, then. That's Japanese metal at its finest. Metalchicks are also a great choice.

Actually, Sigh and Sabbath is Japanese metal at it's finest. Razz That said, the band you named are not half-bad, I like them (to some extents), but when I say metal I'm thinking of black, death and trash.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
BananaOrNoBanana wrote:
Quote:
World World World starts off with the song of the same name. <snip> With “woah” being the only vocals on the song, all of instruments mix together to give you a sort of ‘wave on the ocean’ feel.

I always thought they said "World, World, World"? Maybe that's just me. Anime dazed

Actually, that's what I thought I heard too. Part of that comes from the image from end of the video for the song which features the words "World World World" drifting into the field of view.

As for the English lyric sheet... I purchased my copy at HMV in Namba, Osaka a couple of days after the CD was released and yes it is included. I don't know if the regular edition of the CD contains the English lyric sheet. I wasn't really paying attention and thought that the difference between the first press version and the regular edition was the colour cardboard sleeve.

Final note: The video for 新しい世界 (Atarashii Sekai) is quite the thing. It's a rapid-fire animated collage of images from their previous album covers mixed in with new material. On the DVD it is coupled with the aforementioned video for "World World World" that precedes it.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
I've enjoyed AKG's anime-related songs and saw them live in July 2012, but while preparing to see them live I found almost none of their material on Youtube, presumably because of record company take-downs.

Having said that, they were very enjoyable live and did play mainly their songs that were used in anime.

It would be more constructive if the record companies at least included short versions of singles or digest versions of albums like some companies do to interest the potential buyer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2