• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Red Garden DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
Well, finally something I've already seen so I don't have to play catch-up to the review.

There was a lot more meat to chew on than the previous volumes, that's for sure. There's even a welcome bit of real suspense with regard to Kate's possible peril because of Herve. Call me crazy, but I actually liked the singing in the previous volume. To me, it showed a bond between the girls and how they were comiserating.(sp) It doesn't mean I want to see it in every episode, or necessarily again in a future episode. It just felt artistic.

I finally found a copy of volume 4 last weekend and I plan on watching it very soon. I'm really looking forward to it. Great review!
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Still I will say the show is much better then most other titles being released right now. Your criticism of the english dub is silly though. It's a lot better then most of the stuff out there.
lisamarie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
This volume really saved the series for me. The girls start to accept their fate (less screaming and crying) and try to find out why, revealing some more answers at just the right time. I did like their range of reactions from the beginning because in many animes the emotions seem cookie cutter. Unlike Death Note, Red Garden depicts how their night job effects the people around them and their daily lives. If you read the current review of Death Note you'll understand this statement.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm still confused about Theron's volume 1 review that gave it a 4A /2B grade mark. Although volume 3 is a bit better than the first two I still think this the most awkward series I'm collecting, and am partially collecting due to Carl, Theron and Bamboo's high rating in hopes that I'll eventually see what this series charm is. As of now it seems to take the elements of Paradise Kiss (which I enjoyed) and Gantz (which I didn't enjoy) that I didn't like and mix them together.

There seems to be plenty of support for this series from people whose opinions I usually agree with. There is something rough about this series which reminds me of Tokko, and perhaps this might be another factor since I tend to like series that are more polished. I'm hoping that the second half continues the trend of less hysterics which might lead me to actually enjoying the lead characters who I find rather annoying.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
and am partially collecting due to Carl, Theron and Bamboo's high rating in hopes that I'll eventually see what this series charm is.

I'm fairly behind on this but so far I'm with them. An A might be a little strong because all the screaming and crying does kinda wear on you at times. But I would personally give it at least a decent score for it's great looking art, stylish character designs, and great music and atmosphere alone. I haven't really had any problems with the story so far either. I've found it decently paced and reveals enough that it keeps your attention.

No disrespect to the writer of this review, but I hope ANN will have Theron or someone else who likes this anime to do the next one. I'd be very curious to hear their opinion of some of the later episodes.
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
The 3rd one serves as a transition to the second half of the series and having seen volume 4 already i can clearly state that the show has not managed to peak to early.
Peothra

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
After watching two volumes, I'd say that "Red Garden" is one of the worst titles I've seen in my life!

I have to agree. Between the horrible art style, the random singing and poor voice acting...I truly hate this anime. But, I have seen worst! Boys Be, Mystical Ninja, Moby Dick...

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Peothra wrote:
Quote:
After watching two volumes, I'd say that "Red Garden" is one of the worst titles I've seen in my life!

I have to agree. Between the horrible art style, the random singing and poor voice acting...I truly hate this anime. But, I have seen worst! Boys Be, Mystical Ninja, Moby Dick...

Very Happy

I just don't get how people can say the art style is horrible. I can understand peoples complaints about other parts of the series, but what is wrong with the art style? Yeah sure, it's different. But not every anime character has to have giant eyes and no nose. I guess to each his own, but to describe the art style as horrible just because it doesn't work for you doesn't really seem fair. Or perhaps you do have a more universal reason you dislike the art style. If so please share it. I'd like to know.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Can't understand it either, I think Red Garden has one of the the best, if not the best, art style and character design I've ever seen (actually, it would be Kure-nai, but it does share a lot of staff members, doesn't it?). It's something wholly different and just so beautiful. I can't wait to see what will be the next anime Kumi Ishii will work on, because his character designs automatically makes an anime a pleasure to watch.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
Peothra wrote:
Quote:

Very Happy
BoysBe is not that bad. It actaully has good storyline and a solid dub that's the saving grace for it and the original "You're Under Arrest" which had horrid character designs.

Red Garden's problem isn't it's character designs which are "shojo manga-ka esque", its it's terrible script, pretetious dub preformances and pointless nonesencial storyline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1