• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-09]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
As an avid Escaflowne fan I LOVE Allie's ending. If Escaflowne's ending was changed to that i would feel much more closure on this lovely story.

which reminds me that i want that new remastered Escaflowne DVD that came out in Japan. Only $500 for it though =__=;
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

To be honest, I've never seen any of the Digimon series or movies in Japanese (except for that X Evolution one, though only because it was never dubbed) and I have to say some of the Digimon sound really strange in Japanese. Have you heard Guilmon in Japanese? I know who his seiyuu was, but he didn't sound like a cute little reptile like when Blum voiced him, he sounded like an old woman.

Voice-wise, no I'll agree there that many voices were done very good in english. Some, are very hard to compare which I prefer better. Tailmon/Gatomon both has a good style in either version which I think work. And well, in english they made Yamato/Matt's voice... more his age :/

Really, it's the dialogue overall I was after. Some things had the translation dead on (such as the Adventure/the 1st seasons' prophecy) but in Adventure 02/the 2nd season, most of the serious dialogue was trashed with jokes and silly talk. Oh, not to mention the 'correction' they made to an error. Digmon was supposed to be introduced as 'the drill of knowledge' but did 'the drill of power' for many episodes. How did they dubbers fix it? By making him say 'I used to say "drill of power" but that sounded too _____' (I forgot the correct wording). But yeah, I found it humorous that had to correct it by adding such dialogue onto the show :/
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
You guys realize something can be good AND overrated, right?

Being overrated doesn't mean it's bad - it just means its excessively worshipped in creepy basement shrines.
Ceru

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Wing_Goddess wrote:
As an avid Escaflowne fan I LOVE Allie's ending. If Escaflowne's ending was changed to that i would feel much more closure on this lovely story.

which reminds me that i want that new remastered Escaflowne DVD that came out in Japan. Only $500 for it though =__=;

Thanks! Anime smile
When I first saw the ending of Esca almost a decade ago I rewrote the ending a million times in my head; usually involving some big dramatic kiss. But even back then I knew she kind of had to go home. As happy as I would have been if she had stayed, she needed to go back to her life. And I think in a way, seeing a kiss almost ruins it. I think it's one of the only ways to fully satisfy the viewers without ruining the... subtlty of their relationship (this may be exactly what I wrote in my answerfans, I forget...). Either way it's a last minute sequence I'd very much like to animate eventually....

But more importantly...
RemastereD? Remasted how? O_O
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Case Closed has an interesting history behind it, especially in my family's house. The first time my mom saw one of the more gruesome deaths in the series, that was over for us watching the it. Funny how over time the series is still going on like Inuyasha with it's repetitiveness and monotone.

Gee, I was hoping to be the first to say that Haruhi was overrated, but I'm sure I'll still incur the wrath of the many that are overly religious followers of Haruhiism. Now it'll get funny Laughing
Navak

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
MelloHatesNear wrote:

Being overrated doesn't mean it's bad - it just means its excessively worshipped in creepy basement shrines.

Winner.

This is why I see EVA as carrying the mantle.

It's pretty decent, I like the story even if it seems disjointed at times even in the first 2/3rds and often disjointed in the last 1/3rd. I enjoyed the new movie as well.

However, the amount of praise/crazy loving for EVA is incalculable.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Not only is Naruto overrated, it isn't in the same league as Bleach...

I know you put a little opinion disclaimer there, but that's just an insult to the series. I, for one, think Bleach is heavily overrated, though I don't really feel like backing up my opinions, so I'll stop here. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Obsessive Touga Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Someone mentioned it earlier, but it bears repeating: Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years is almost certainly the worst dub ever made. They took two different series, about completely different characters, and mixed them together into one big narrative mess of a series. It's not even one series after the other like Robotech, they literally edited bits from each series together to make each episode. Click the link to read the whole sorry (yet hilarious) tale.

I can't even comprehend the idea that the Fox Kids version of Escaflowne might be among the worst dubs ever made. It's condensed a bit from the original (26 episodes cut down to 23), and some of the music is changed, but it's still basically the same show. Besides, the version on the DVDs is uncut, which to my mind pretty much negates any damage done by the long-since-unavailable Fox Kids version.
braves

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
MelloHatesNear wrote:

Yeah, but whenever a fan of a series hears somebody saying that that series is overrated, they often take it as a personal insult (I believe this subject was in a previous Answerman column). Personally, I think that every popular series is overrated. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skyesage

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Would I be branded as an awful and horrible person if I said that Grave of the Fireflies was overrated as a movie.

It wasn't like I was saying that I thought that it wasn't sad, or that it wasn't good (because it is), but everyone always says that it is one of these movies that will stick with you for all of time, and quite honestly, it hasn't stuck with me near as much in terms of a life lesson as three movies that I have seen.

The wonderfully tragic Millenium Actress by Satoshi Kon.

Whisper of the Heart by Yoshifumi Kondo and Hayao Miyazaki

and Princess Mononoke by Hayao Miyazaki.

All three of these movies are experiences that I will always hold near and dear to my heart, and, with the possible exception of Princess Mononoke, are also incredibly subtle and beautiful films.

While Grave of the Fireflies is certainly not lacking in beauty or subtlety, there is something about this very one-sided presentation of something very controversial that just grates on me.

...But that's just me. Then again, I think that all of Satoshi Kon's work is extremely underrated.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
What? no one's mentioned The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for most over rated? Well I'll be the first then. Blatant moe pandering and nothing else. (stands behind ramparts with fire hose charged at the ready.) Wink
I'm not charging the flame-thrower right now, but please tell me you've at least seen enough of the series to pass judgement on it.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched it yet either, but I don't like "cutesy" anime...

I know it's a parody and I may watch it, but my anime preferences...I only watch shows that I'm don't hear much attention about...if I do, I ignore it for a while and watch it when I'm ready.

>.>; I know, odd...

Haruhi seems overrated to me, I'll probably be doing the dance when everyone is watching something else.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
....Holy crap, that TMNT anime is bizarre. I've seen the opening theme before (Kageyama Hironobu, woot!), but what in the world is up with Krang's voice? And the sweatdrops....

I know most of the terrible dub talk has centered around ones that have been edited for TV, but the absolute worst dub I've seen is Bible Black. Yeah, it's hentai, so it's not like I was expecting it to sound like the golden standard of anime, but it's just so bad that it seems like they would have had to try to sound that terrible. The person playing Imari was especially bad. To me, there were times where she sounded just like Steve Oedekerk's dubbing of the main female character from the movie "Kung Pow: Enter the Fist". Seriously.

I remember "Sword for Truth" also having a terrible dub. That's really the only thing I remember about it, actually....what sticks most in my mind is the way one female character tried to say the main character's name, which is Shuranosuke....her pronunciation was something like "Shuh-RAN-oh-SOO-kee-san" Not only were the emphases all wrong, but the 'a' vowels were not pronounced 'ah', but like the 'a' in 'fan'. This dub bugged me because it was very inconsistent....some of the actors seemed to be able to pronounce Japanese words just fine, so why didn't they tell those who couldn't how to do it properly?

As for overrated anime, I'd put both FLCL and Haruhi on my list. I mean, yeah, they're funny, and I was entertained watching them, but I don't consider them "teh greatest series EVAR". I've also never really understood why "Samurai X" is the number one rated anime on ANN. I've seen it, and it was good, but I've seen other anime that had a much great effect on me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Not only is Naruto overrated, it isn't in the same league as Bleach...

I know you put a little opinion disclaimer there, but that's just an insult to the series. I, for one, think Bleach is heavily overrated, though I don't really feel like backing up my opinions, so I'll stop here. Razz

You know, if you don't want to back up your opinions, that's entirely up to you. But, it does mean that I have nothing else to judge you on than an opinion I wholeheartedly disagree with. If I knew where you were coming from, then I would be able to say, "Well, I don't agree with them, but I understand that their opinion has a solid foundation, and I now know why they hold that opinion. Though I still disagree on this matter, I do not hold it against them and I therefore still respect them".

A little long-winded, sorry about that. Still, don't be afraid to state your reasons. It is the easiest way to avoid flame wars on the net (or start them, if your reasons suck. But if they don't suck, why not tell them to people like me?).

Oh, and yeah, it was meant to be an insult. It corrupts the impressionable minds of teenagers, and yet it is utter garbage (in my view, of course).
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Still, don't be afraid to state your reasons. It is the easiest way to avoid flame wars on the net (or start them, if your reasons suck. But if they don't suck, why not tell them to people like me?).

The exact reason I don't like stating my opinions on shows like Naruto and Bleach is because I often get myself into trouble here because I overreact -- the exact opposite of what I should be doing -- and it turns into some kind of O RLY??! war. Though it does bother me when people always take shots at Naruto, especially when a favorite of theirs is insulted and they compare it with something along the lines of: "...At least it's not like that trash Naruto..." It seems my favorite will always be the lowest of the low when it comes to bashing cartoons.

...But I'm also OK with others not liking it because we all have our likes and dislikes. Smile

dtm42 wrote:
Oh, and yeah, it was meant to be an insult. It corrupts the impressionable minds of teenagers, and yet it is utter garbage (in my view, of course).

Argh, I'm corrupt because of a silly cartoon. See? I do take it a little personally. I'm sorry, I can't help it. Razz

Anyway, if you really want reasons for why I think Bleach is overrated is because it *was* good until it began to deteriorate into the most repetitive and generic bore-fest ever. And the more people watch/read it, the more they seem to like it even though at one point it was straight-up fighting for, like, ever, with little to no breaks. It's also seen as more "mature" than Naruto, which is laughable -- they're both "teen" SJ. But of course, this is all just my opinion versus everyone else's. It's just hard for me to understand how it's fun or entertaining, and therefore I deem it overrated. Unlike others, though, I can understand that there is something good they see in it because they would say the same about me and Naruto.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I agree Naruto is overrated, but would like to add Bleach to the list.

Last edited by Aromatic Grass on Sat May 10, 2008 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10